Neutral Site vs Miami?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n254341]Fans from either base could easily attend without[/QUOTE]
Oh you must be talking about the 1500 or so fans that show up for their home games now?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fans would come from all over the state to watch this game -- Gainesville, South Florida, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and, of course, locals from Orlando. No different than when Miami and Florida visited Tampa Stadium in '84. That was essentially a UF home game. It's always been 20 of us to every 1 of them. Still love to beat their ass.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n254341]I think some of us have forgotten our relative place in the college football world. Sure, we've got history and all that, but let's not kid ourselves. We're no longer hanging among the elite-elite crowd. We have to earn that back. It sounds good to say let's play Texas or Oklahoma or USC at a neutral site, but where's the mutual incentive? We haven't won our SEC division in years. The Miami series has history and vitriol and an Orlando game would put it smack dab in the middle of the two turfs. Fans from either base could easily attend without the need for air fare or even hotel fare. I think it makes sense esp because so many of us still do hate Miami. That's the whole point to a rivalry, isn't it? Book it.[/QUOTE]

Truckloads of wisdom in this post, though personally I'd prefer to kick their asses in Tampa rather than Mickey Mouseville.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n254381 said:
Truckloads of wisdom in this post, though personally I'd prefer to kick their asses in Tampa rather than Mickey Mouseville.

I would, too, and for obvious reasons, but Orlando makes too much sense. It's central to everyone. You wanna fill this sucker every year and see it build.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I believe in this day and age - BCS and now Playoff system - it's more important to win your conferences and get exposure in these big games than it is to win a 'State Championship'.
Going far in the post season (e.g. Bammer and Buckeyes) would go much further in getting the best athletes rather than beating 'Da U'.
There is really no upside for UF.

Besides we have Randy Shannon now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd definitely like to see us play them again.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n254341]I think some of us have forgotten our relative place in the college football world. Sure, we've got history and all that, but let's not kid ourselves. We're no longer hanging among the elite-elite crowd. We have to earn that back. It sounds good to say let's play Texas or Oklahoma or USC at a neutral site, but where's the mutual incentive? We haven't won our SEC division in years. The Miami series has history and vitriol and an Orlando game would put it smack dab in the middle of the two turfs. Fans from either base could easily attend without the need for air fare or even hotel fare. I think it makes sense esp because so many of us still do hate Miami. That's the whole point to a rivalry, isn't it? Book it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, '78. Not buying this one bit. We've got just as much value, if not more, than Texas, OU or USC. None of them have won sh¡t recently either but we all have something in common. A huge following. Sure you might have more folk in state that might travel to Orlando but if there's a neutral site game against one of the said opponents, you'd have Nationwide travel. I bet you this Meatchicken game in the coming year will have a HUGE Florida showing. You can book that!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Miami fans won't even show up to a stadium 20 minutes away to see their team play. What makes you think they would drive 3 hours to Orlando?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n254393 said:
Sorry, '78. Not buying this one bit. We've got just as much value, if not more, than Texas, OU or USC. None of them have won sh¡t recently either but we all have something in common. A huge following. Sure you might have more folk in state that might travel to Orlando but if there's a neutral site game against one of the said opponents, you'd have Nationwide travel. I bet you this Meatchicken game in the coming year will have a HUGE Florida showing. You can book that!

Its a long way off, but my son and I are already planning and marked the trip to Jerry's world on the calendar. So yes, I think you will see a huge following to that game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n254393 said:

Not saying it can't happen -- and Michigan is proof -- but it's more the exception than the rule. There's no denying that you're more in demand from a television standpoint when you're winning than vice versa. Even Foley acknowledged at the time the Michigan game was set that opportunities like that seldom presented themselves. But now that it's become a trend to match up traditionally big names for season openers, you never know. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

@ Sasquatch: Not counting on Miami fans per se to fill the seats as much as UF fans and college football fans.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n254433]

Not saying it can't happen -- and Michigan is proof -- but it's more the exception than the rule. There's no denying that you're more in demand from a television standpoint when you're winning than vice versa. Even Foley acknowledged at the time the Michigan game was set that opportunities like that seldom presented themselves. But now that it's become a trend to match up traditionally big names for season openers, you never know. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

@ Sasquatch: Not counting on Miami fans per se to fill the seats as much as UF fans and college football fans.[/QUOTE]

The Big 10 just adopted a policy on scheduling at least one Power 5 non-conf game each year. I think you'll see this trend continue from the Power 5 to increase the SOS for playoff chance purposes.
We don't need Da U on our schedule, but they need us.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n254435 said:
The Big 10 just adopted a policy on scheduling at least one Power 5 non-conf game each year. I think you'll see this trend continue from the Power 5 to increase the SOS for playoff chance purposes.
We don't need Da U on our schedule, but they need us.

They've always needed us more than the opposite, even when they were knocking down titles, but it's always been an entertaining rivalry.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
They are irrelevant and will be for awhile so why should we help them in anyway? If we played them we would be helping them so I say F*ck Miami,let'em DIE!!! We need to schedule some big time teams from the Power 5 who actually have enough fans to sellout they're side of the stadium. #GoGators

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I have to admit, gameday against Miami, I am a nervous wreck like no other game on our schedule. Some of the games in the 70's & 80's tore my heart out; '81 in particular. That said, drop the Seminoles and play them every year.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
They are irrelevant and will be for awhile so why should we help them in anyway? If we played them we would be helping them so I say F*ck Miami,let'em DIE!!! We need to schedule some big time teams from the Power 5 who actually have enough fans to sellout they're side of the stadium. #GoGators

Exactly!

Why help Scum? They are dead to me. What few fans they have are mostly thugs and drug dealers. **** 'em and feed 'em to the fish.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n254322 said:
I'd support rotating Squaws and scUM, maybe Squaws, scUM and USF. The damage that would do to Squaws SOS would be impressive.

If we add a game, it should someone interesting like others have said, Texass, Okie, something in Cali etc.

I like this idea too. We help both the semi's and the u and not so much the other way around when we play (them playing a SEC school v. us playing an ACC school).
Rotating them would be ideal in my opinion, two years (home & home, or neutral site) then flip.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n254435 said:

They won't be play'n any FCS opponents either, and I think the SEC needs to adopt this too. The FCS opponents on SEC schedules is crazy, it's just a money grab. And I don't want to hear how hard it is to play in the SEC. Of course it is, that's why it's the best conference in the land.
There are enough bad FBS teams out there to plug the holes.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux;n254580 said:
They won't be play'n any FCS opponents either, and I think the SEC needs to adopt this too. The FCS opponents on SEC schedules is crazy, it's just a money grab. And I don't want to hear how hard it is to play in the SEC. Of course it is, that's why it's the best conference in the land.
There are enough bad FBS teams out there to plug the holes.

I agree, but with our SEC slate and the annual match up with the clowns, we don't ever have to worry about SOS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux;n254580 said:
They won't be play'n any FCS opponents either.
Most of the teams in the MAC are worse than FCS teams.

I think we have to beat an FCS team before we can talk any trash.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n254696 said:
Most of the teams in the MAC are worse than FCS teams.

I think we have to beat an FCS team before we can talk any trash.

I realize that you are really just trying to stir the pot and are a Gator through and through. But it would be nice to hear something positive every once in a while. The Muschamp era is over. Coach Mac has taken over and I truly feel he will bring back the good old days of Florida Football dominating everyone. So give it a rest until we lose a game. Then you can start bitchin' again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.