New Coach Chess Match

TpaG8r

Oct 9, 2017
Hey Guys,

New to the board and this is my first post. Hope it's informative. And, I apologize if it's redundant.

I think as fans we are so quick to say "fire the coach!," like it's an easy thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I think Butters needs to go. He was brought in to fix the O... and that hasn't happened. And, it appears that he may be losing the locker room, too. Bottom line, he's in over his head. But, firing and hiring a HC is a dicey matter. It's a chess game. And here are some things that I think Stricklin has to consider when doing so:

Economics:
Does Butters have a buyout? If not, will he be owed the remainder of his contract?

Will a sexy new hire inject money into the program? It did when Urb was hired, as I heard that the number of Bull's instantly doubled. Can't imagine Butters moved the economic meter at all...

Perception:
Prospective coaches want to know why the last coach was fired. They don't want to get into a situation, where their boss is unreasonable and who has the tendency to knee jerk reactions. Butters has won 2 east titles, has more wins than Chump and is improving in recruiting year to year. So Stricklin needs to have a credible reason, or reasons, for letting a coach go with a relatively impressive, albeit on paper, resume'.

Timing:
I'm sure there are backchannels that are used, but he needs to know who is a true candidate. I'm sure he has a short list, as Foley did, and as probably all AD's do. But some, if not most, of those candidates won't come, for a variety of reasons. Will Brohm (my current fave) want to come to UF after only 2 seasons at Purdue, where he is building something special and has job security? Will Frost want UF or is he willing to wait out Nebraska?

Also, think about the other jobs that are going to be open, as well. Tenn, Ole Miss and Ark are all surely to be available. Yes, UF is a better job than all 3, IMO. But, they're all good jobs where you can win, some easier than others. And most schools aren't the pressure cooker that UF is. Honestly, the only thing that makes UF a better job than Tenn is we're in FL... and we don't have to play Bama every year. They also have lots of money, good facilities and a rabid fan base.

Nebraska and UCLA may also be open.

In addition, ideally we want a hot up-and-comer, who is in his 40's and will stay for 10+ years. Another huge obstacle.

Bottom line, Butters is not the answer. But, he may get at least another year (probable), due any number and combination of the aforementioned variables. For every slam dunk like SOS and Urb, there are a ton of whiffs, like Zooker and Chump (and Butters, it appears). The HC at a school like UF not only has the pressure of winning, but has most of the local economy depending on the level of excitement he brings. I was at UF during SOS's last year and through Zook. Bars and restaurants were going out of business, due to lack of attendance. Hotels all over Gainesville had vacancies... on game weekends.

So, say for example, Stricklin contacts Brohm through backchannels, agents, whatever, to gauge his interest. Brohm expresses interest, but admits he's been contacted similarly on the hush hush by Tenn and Nebraska. And, he's interested in them, as well, and is willing to stay at Purdue, where he's making $3.3 mil, but will surely get a raise once it becomes known he's being courted by blue blood heavy hitters. Yes, we can make a great pitch, but there's no guarantee he'll come. Maybe he'd rather be a legend at Purdue rather than come to UF and attempt to equal SOS and Urb.

This is exactly what happened to LSU last year. They fired Les and went after Herman. They lost Herman to TX... and ended up with O. It can happen to us, too. And, if we whiff again, it'll be another 3 years before we get another shot. The good news is from all accounts, Stricklin is a very smart and savvy dude. One can only hope that whatever move he makes, or doesn't make, strikes gold in the long run.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I gave you your first like ever. Just remember that.

One thing you mentioned which I think is often forgotten is that while the “big money” boosters get the attention, it’s the # of boosters, and # of mid-range/new Bull Gators that can drive the “economy” nobody is getting press for committing $15k, but lose a few hundred, not to mention thousands of $2k - $15k boosters.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Hey Guys,

New to the board and this is my first post. Hope it's informative. And, I apologize if it's redundant.

I think as fans we are so quick to say "fire the coach!," like it's an easy thing to do. Don't get me wrong, I think Butters needs to go. He was brought in to fix the O... and that hasn't happened. And, it appears that he may be losing the locker room, too. Bottom line, he's in over his head. But, firing and hiring a HC is a dicey matter. It's a chess game. And here are some things that I think Stricklin has to consider when doing so:

Economics:
Does Butters have a buyout? If not, will he be owed the remainder of his contract?

Will a sexy new hire inject money into the program? It did when Urb was hired, as I heard that the number of Bull's instantly doubled. Can't imagine Butters moved the economic meter at all...

Perception:
Prospective coaches want to know why the last coach was fired. They don't want to get into a situation, where their boss is unreasonable and who has the tendency to knee jerk reactions. Butters has won 2 east titles, has more wins than Chump and is improving in recruiting year to year. So Stricklin needs to have a credible reason, or reasons, for letting a coach go with a relatively impressive, albeit on paper, resume'.

Timing:
I'm sure there are backchannels that are used, but he needs to know who is a true candidate. I'm sure he has a short list, as Foley did, and as probably all AD's do. But some, if not most, of those candidates won't come, for a variety of reasons. Will Brohm (my current fave) want to come to UF after only 2 seasons at Purdue, where he is building something special and has job security? Will Frost want UF or is he willing to wait out Nebraska?

Also, think about the other jobs that are going to be open, as well. Tenn, Ole Miss and Ark are all surely to be available. Yes, UF is a better job than all 3, IMO. But, they're all good jobs where you can win, some easier than others. And most schools aren't the pressure cooker that UF is. Honestly, the only thing that makes UF a better job than Tenn is we're in FL... and we don't have to play Bama every year. They also have lots of money, good facilities and a rabid fan base.

In addition, ideally we want a hot up-and-comer, who is in his 40's and will stay for 10+ years. Another huge obstacle.

Bottom line, Butters is not the answer. But, he may get at least another year (probable), due any number and combination of the aforementioned variables. For every slam dunk like SOS and Urb, there are a ton of whiffs, like Zooker and Chump (and Butters, it appears). The HC at a school like UF not only has the pressure of winning, but has most of the local economy depending on the level of excitement he brings. I was at UF during SOS's last year and through Zook. Bars and restaurants were going out of business, due to lack of attendance. Hotels all over Gainesville had vacancies... on game weekends.

So, say for example, Stricklin contacts Brohm through backchannels, agents, whatever, to gauge his interest. Brohm expresses interest, but admits he's been contacted similarly on the hush hush by Tenn and Nebraska. And, he's interested in them, as well, and is willing to stay at Purdue, where he's making $3.3 mil, but will surely get a raise once it becomes known he's being courted by blue blood heavy hitters. Yes, we can make a great pitch, but there's no guarantee he'll come. Maybe he'd rather be a legend at Purdue rather than come to UF and attempt to equal SOS and Urb.

This is exactly what happened to LSU last year. They fired Les and went after Herman. They lost Herman to TX... and ended up with O. It can happen to us, too. And, if we whiff again, it'll be another 3 years before we get another shot. The good news is from all accounts, Stricklin is a very smart and savvy dude. One can only hope that whatever move he makes, or doesn't make, strikes gold in the long run.

Welcome to the board AD Stricklin. We get why you won't fire him now, but at least make him get rid of the deadwood on his staff. ;)

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Solid first post. Please stick around.

Would Brohm stay for a decade or (if he's successful) make a jump to the NFL after two good years?

The good thing about Brohm the coach is he was a journeyman in the pros. Played at a lot of places under a lot of different coaches. He's been exposed to a lot. The bad thing is that he might see himself as a pro coach someday.

Does he want to be Saban or Belichick?

Do we take him either way?

Alex.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome Tpa. Very good post, from a fresh angle. GatChat needs that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No way this guy is new here if he refers to Coach as "Butters".

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Timing is key in these coaching searches, but I feel if we offer what we're capable of offering we could land any of those guys you named. We went bargain shopping for these last 2 coaches and it has cost us nearly a decade of failure. If we stop being cheap, we'll get back to where we should be. Bama, Michigan, and really Miami figured that out, can our administration figure it out? Who knows.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Gotta love when a new, first time poster refers to the guy as "Butters" already!!! :D

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to the board. Better get an avatar before Ox "assigns" you the pink pony one. He likes all our posters to have an avatar, so he'll give you one if you don't pick one for yourself.:giggle:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
The fact Tpa used "Butters" shouldn't surprise anyone. He's a first-time poster but may be a long-time lurker. In any event, GC needs more posters like Tpa.

Welcome, Tpa. Let the Russian/UAA collusion theories begin.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hey Guys,

Economics:

Perception:

Timing:

This is exactly what happened to LSU last year. They fired Les and went after Herman. They lost Herman to TX... and ended up with O.
Uaa , I presume. Why didnt you sign in as 2222?

As for Ed O, he has two great coordinators. If he is smart enough to leave them alone, they will be a good if not great team. You act like Ed O is a bad hire. He may be but it was proven that Less Miles would never adapt his offense and win.

Butterteeth hired a guy who makes 100th ranked offenses. That isnt going to change.

Butters has exactly the same number of wins as Chimp at this point. Not sure where you came up with the "more wins" thing. Are you also the type who excludes all road and neutral site losses in Butters record?

Tell your friends at the UAA to enjoy those empty seats and STOP FVKKING CALLING ME FOR MONEY. Maybe we can talk again after you fire Butters and hire a competent coach.

By the way, your idiot boss should be fired today for giving Butters and esoecially nusschamp an extenstion.

Have a great day! Go Gators!

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The fact Tpa used "Butters" shouldn't surprise anyone. He's a first-time poster but may be a long-time lurker. In any event, GC needs more posters like Tpa.

Welcome, Tpa. Let the Russian/UAA collusion theories begin.

His very first sentence states otherwise.

New to the board and this is my first post.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My wife calls him Yeller or Yellawood, and she doesnt watch football or read this site. Half our threads are titled Butters. Doesnt take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
No chance Mac gets fired this year. With an all new staff next year we shall see what he can do. If same results he will be gone by Xmas 2018.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
While I am unhappy with the results, I see no reason to call someone "butters". That is just me, I demand respect personally and don't appreciate lack of such to anybody.

The bottom line is we are going to have this HBC until the Bull Gators get fed up and think a change will be a positive. Nothing we want means much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator