New SEC Rules: Football officials charged with monitoring length of game

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Football officials charged with monitoring length of game

https://www.tidesports.com/football-officials-charged-with-monitoring-length-game/

DESTIN, Fl. — College football fans aren’t the only ones checking their watches as games grind towards four hours. The SEC and other conferences are paying attention, too.

The average SEC football game was 3:26 in 2016, SEC coordinator of officials Steve Shaw told the media on Thursday during the league’s spring meetings.

“Everybody is talking about length of game,” Shaw said.

There were four SEC games that lasted more than four hours last year, Shaw said. Two of those games went over four hours despite not going to overtime. The longest non-overtime game was Alabama’s 48-43 win at Ole Miss on Sept. 17.

No rules changes have been made to alter play or speed up games. Instead, officials will be charged with keeping games on pace and cutting down dead time. Shaw thinks games can be shortened by five or six minutes without making rules changes or effecting the sport itself.

One of the obvious changes is to enforce the rule limiting halftime to 20 minutes as stated in the rule book. Sometimes, Shaw said, halftimes are stretched out to 23 or 24 minutes. The halftime clock might start after teams have cleared the field instead of after the end of the second quarter. Halftime shows and events might be jammed in and run over by a few minutes. The time adds up.

“Halftime is going to be 20 minutes,” Shaw said. “And then at the end of halftime — TV knows this too and they’re committed to do it with us — when the clock hits zero, we’re going to kick off. A lot of times, you’d see the red hat official signal ‘I need a minute, give me two minutes.’ When it hits zero, we’re going to break and kick off.”

Officials will also be charged with restarting the clock when the ball is set, except for during the last two minutes.

“Basically, we had every Division I referee in America in a meeting,” Shaw said. “We looked them all in the eye and said ‘Look, we’re going to be consistent. When the center judge puts the ball down, you’re cranking it up.'”

They’ll follow a similar procedure after awarding a first down. The rule book, Shaw said, says the clock should be stopped to award a first down. It does not need to be stopped to move the chains. Substitution opportunities were also inconsistent; some referees waited until substitutions were over to wind the clock.

None of these are new rules; it’s a matter of being consistent in enforcing rules already in play to keep the game moving.

But for now, there are no plans to make changes to the amount of commercials to shorten the games.

“You watch TV sometimes, and there’s touchdown, then an extra point, then run four or five replays, then go to commercial,” Shaw said. “They’re going to have to find ways to be more efficient, to get out and get back in. Those are the kind of things we want to do. I don’t think we’re going to break (TV) contracts at this point. I think we can be more efficient.”

The goal is to keep the rules of football unchanged while still finding ways to shorten games. These solutions are a step towards that.

“We need to do the administrative components around the game. If we have a 20-minute halftime, the game managers are going to have to be more efficient. But there’s time for both bands to play. We’re not going to lose the pageantry of the Southeastern Conference.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
College football crackdown: Coaches told not to go on field to argue with officials

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/college-football-cracking-down-coaches-protest-field

DESTIN, Fla. – The next time Will Muschamp, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart or any college football head coach runs onto a field to protest a call in a game, they’re going to be flagged.

That’s the result of a change in officiating, what the NCAA rules committee is calling a “heightened focus” on coaches not straying on to the field to argue with officials.

Coaches who enter the field of play to question, protest or otherwise demonstrate disagreement with an officiating decision are subject to an immediate 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.”

Two such penalties lead to a coach being ejected.

“We haven’t said to them, gosh your toe was on it. We’re not going to be ridiculous,” said Steve Shaw, the SEC coordinator of officials. “What we’re saying to them is if you come out on the field of play and you protest a call, it’s unsportsmanlike.”

And when that happens, Shaw expects his officials to throw the flag. It would be “a bad day for that official” if he doesn’t, as Shaw put it. And he said there will no special treatment.

“As coordinators we’ve all put our hands on the rulebook and said we’ll hold together,” Shaw said. “Because if we have a celebrity coach come out and do this and we don’t flag them, then it falls apart because every other coach says, ‘You didn’t flag him, why are you flagging me?’”

Every coach at the FBS has been addressed about this at their conference spring meetings.

Coaches can still argue calls as long as they stay in the team area on their sideline. Shaw said this would also put a burden on officials, who have to make sure they get to the sideline to talk to the coaches and offer an explanation for a call, and answer explanations. Shaw said he didn’t want his officials to run away from officials.

“If an official runs away from a coach, I don’t want him,” Shaw said.

That’s not to say coaches can’t come on the field anymore. Whether it’s coming out to check on injured players, or running out to call a timeout, or getting excited after a big play, Shaw said they don’t want that to be flagged.

“Our coaches are by and large very good. But they wouldn’t be in their job if they weren’t very intense,” Shaw said. “Our coaches are pretty good. They have a say, and then they move on. Now they’ve just got to do it in the white (part of the sideline).”

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Were those 4 games that lasted over 4 hours on CBS? My guess would be yes. The amount of commercials they air during a game is insane.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Were those 4 games that lasted over 4 hours on CBS? My guess would be yes. The amount of commercials they air during a game is insane.

Not sure, but the score usually indicates a lot of stops in action (a high scoring game means more TDs/FGs and with each of those there is stoppage in the game).

I'm glad they didn't change the clock rules again. I like that the college game is not the NFL, who are hell-bent on making their games exactly 3 hours. They've messed with the clock rules a lot in the college game - like restarting the clock immediately after the ball is set (it used to start at the snap). The issue w/ the game time in CFB is commercials, it's not the games. They either need to cut down on the number of commercials (which they won't do - unless they can charge more to the advertiser) or make the clock rules like the NFL, if they want to reduce the game length. I hope it never goes the way of the NFL.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some more new rules:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-announces-new-rules-2017-football-season/

Players within one yard of the line and stationary at the snap can still hurdle over the offensive line, but no one is allowed to get running starts anymore.

Expect to see coaches called for more 15-yard penalties when the 2017 college football season kicks off.

At SEC spring meetings on Thursday, the conference announced that coaches who come onto the field of play to argue with officials will be assessed a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty:

(Can't wait to see Muschamp whistled for his constant BS).

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Not sure, but the score usually indicates a lot of stops in action (a high scoring game means more TDs/FGs and with each of those there is stoppage in the game).

I'm glad they didn't change the clock rules again. I like that the college game is not the NFL, who are hell-bent on making their games exactly 3 hours. They've messed with the clock rules a lot in the college game - like restarting the clock immediately after the ball is set (it used to start at the snap). The issue w/ the game time in CFB is commercials, it's not the games. They either need to cut down on the number of commercials (which they won't do - unless they can charge more to the advertiser) or make the clock rules like the NFL, if they want to reduce the game length. I hope it never goes the way of the NFL.

I wouldn't mind seeing a running clock like in the NFL after 1st downs, I just don't see the point in stopping the clock to move the chains in the 1st qtr. I think they could stop the clock to move chains in the last 5 minutes of each half. Not for doing a 2 minute warning like in the NFL, but would like to see the game move a little quicker, and letting the clock run after first downs except the final 5 minutes of each half would cut down on game length considerably. I'm also for an OT changes. Don't like the start on the 25 yard line, think it should be moved back to the 50. Teams already start in field goal range. Also think there should be a limit on OT's, like maybe 3, then it's a tie. Just don't think you should ask these guys to play 5 and 6 OT's after playing 60 minutes. Too much injury risk.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
College football crackdown: Coaches told not to go on field to argue with officials

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/college-football-cracking-down-coaches-protest-field

DESTIN, Fla. – The next time Will Muschamp, Nick Saban, Kirby Smart or any college football head coach runs onto a field to protest a call in a game, they’re going to be flagged.

That’s the result of a change in officiating, what the NCAA rules committee is calling a “heightened focus” on coaches not straying on to the field to argue with officials.

Coaches who enter the field of play to question, protest or otherwise demonstrate disagreement with an officiating decision are subject to an immediate 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.”

Two such penalties lead to a coach being ejected.

“We haven’t said to them, gosh your toe was on it. We’re not going to be ridiculous,” said Steve Shaw, the SEC coordinator of officials. “What we’re saying to them is if you come out on the field of play and you protest a call, it’s unsportsmanlike.”

And when that happens, Shaw expects his officials to throw the flag. It would be “a bad day for that official” if he doesn’t, as Shaw put it. And he said there will no special treatment.

“As coordinators we’ve all put our hands on the rulebook and said we’ll hold together,” Shaw said. “Because if we have a celebrity coach come out and do this and we don’t flag them, then it falls apart because every other coach says, ‘You didn’t flag him, why are you flagging me?’”

Every coach at the FBS has been addressed about this at their conference spring meetings.

Coaches can still argue calls as long as they stay in the team area on their sideline. Shaw said this would also put a burden on officials, who have to make sure they get to the sideline to talk to the coaches and offer an explanation for a call, and answer explanations. Shaw said he didn’t want his officials to run away from officials.

“If an official runs away from a coach, I don’t want him,” Shaw said.

That’s not to say coaches can’t come on the field anymore. Whether it’s coming out to check on injured players, or running out to call a timeout, or getting excited after a big play, Shaw said they don’t want that to be flagged.

“Our coaches are by and large very good. But they wouldn’t be in their job if they weren’t very intense,” Shaw said. “Our coaches are pretty good. They have a say, and then they move on. Now they’ve just got to do it in the white (part of the sideline).”

We'll see how this is policed, I have a hard time believing any coach will be ejected (unless it's ours). Also I guarantee you'll see some coaches given leeway on this, or in the same game one coach will not get called for it while the other will. I just don't see it being as black and white as it reads.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So they're going to cut 5 minutes off of 3 1/2 hour games whoop-di-do.

Seems to me most games are TD, commercial, xtra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. I'll tell you that the worst thing about going to a game is sitting through the damn commercial breaks. If guns were allowed at games I could see the TV ref going down. God knows I'd be tempted. And it definitely drains momentum from the crowd. It was nice back in the day when games weren't televised.

Limit commercials to TDs, FGs and timeouts. I don't want to see them after turnovers because it's a mo' killer. If they're short on commercial time at the end of the 1st and the 3rd let them just run an extra long break. Cutting 20 minutes of commercials (charge more for the commercial time - supply/demand) would make everyone happy. Or at least me. Make the goal to keep the game under 3 hours. If it's high scoring, don't take the commercial breaks in the 4th. How cool would that be?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Seems to me most games are TD, commercial, xtra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. I'll tell you that the worst thing about going to a game is sitting through the damn commercial breaks. If guns were allowed at games I could see the TV ref going down. God knows I'd be tempted. And it definitely drains momentum from the crowd. It was nice back in the day when games weren't televised.

Limit commercials to TDs, FGs and timeouts. I don't want to see them after turnovers because it's a mo' killer. If they're short on commercial time at the end of the 1st and the 3rd let them just run an extra long break. Cutting 20 minutes of commercials (charge more for the commercial time - supply/demand) would make everyone happy. Or at least me. Make the goal to keep the game under 3 hours. If it's high scoring, don't take the commercial breaks in the 4th. How cool would that be?
This.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

TM, I can't argue with you....but if they do that your tickets will be more expensive, your booster fee will be higher, and we won't be getting all the bells & whistles upgrades we need to keep up w/ the Jones' in recruiting (because the TV contract won't be as lucrative due to the network not making as much off of ad revenue). I don't mind a 3 1/2 hour game, it's college football. If they keep tweaking the clock rules it'll become the NFL.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Seems like supply/demand would work here. Less time, more expensive is generally the rule. Though they do benefit from stretching out the games simply because they have to program the time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
College football crackdown: Coaches told not to go on field to argue with
Is this really a new rule? Its always been the rule, right? Azzholes like Chimp havent followed it.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
TM, I can't argue with you....but if they do that your tickets will be more expensive, your booster fee will be higher, and we won't be getting all the bells & whistles upgrades we need to keep up w/ the Jones' in recruiting (because the TV contract won't be as lucrative due to the network not making as much off of ad revenue). I don't mind a 3 1/2 hour game, it's college football. If they keep tweaking the clock rules it'll become the NFL.
I mind 3 1/2 hour games when I'm at the stadium. It's a helluva a lot of sitting around. Use to be 3 hours. It's one of the reasons I stopped going to games (the other being the mind crushing boredom of Chumpball). Then games started getting longer so they changed the rules. But commercials filled the time and it's 3 1/2 hours again. The networks allocate 3 1/2 hours so that's how long they are going to be no matter what is done with the rules.

In the 80's, while we were on TV ban, the games took at most 2 1/2 hours. Good times. TV adds about an hour to the game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Steve Shaw should be talking to CBS. But lets see how this season goes. Now that Verne is gone perhaps we won't need as many commercials.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Some more new rules:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-announces-new-rules-2017-football-season/

Players within one yard of the line and stationary at the snap can still hurdle over the offensive line, but no one is allowed to get running starts anymore.

Expect to see coaches called for more 15-yard penalties when the 2017 college football season kicks off.

At SEC spring meetings on Thursday, the conference announced that coaches who come onto the field of play to argue with officials will be assessed a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty:

(Can't wait to see Muschamp whistled for his constant BS).
Saban also...he's always crying about something!

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
One way to speed up the game is to allow the game clock to keep running after an incomplete pass.
Play clock would start after allowing a reasonable amount of time for the players to return to the line of scrimmage.
The rules could revert back to the old clock stoppage rule for the last 3 minutes of the 2ed and 4th quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.