Newbies who will have an impact

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You're right, Mac's system is likely a little more varied that even Spurrier's from what little I've seen. Not trying to sound heretical, but after Kirk Kirkpatrick's wonder season, TE pretty much disappeared from SOS's schemes. That's probably why he needed more pairings of fleet WR's to challenge secondaries. Yes, I think TE's and slot receivers can have a field day in Mac's schemes but when I'm thinking vertical, I'm not necessarily talking about hail mary's and fly patterns a la Ernie Mills vs Bama, but rather good 15 to 30 yard patterns and plays in the flat by wide side WR's that open up everything from 10 to 20 yards downfield for TE's, RB's and slot receivers who find the best mismatch on a particular play. Another WR who can help Callaway apply that pressure instead of being just an inconsequential player in that 11th position would make us very dangerous. Think Callaway and Robinson vs UT last year.
Just to add if I may, Mac likes to use 2 TE's and we have 2 guys who have been around a while now in Lewis and Goolsby. What we might see is one TE stretch to the sideline while trying to get the other TE vertical if he ends up with LB in coverage. If you go back to last years spring game(2015) and the beginning of last season we did this successfully with Greer to Lewis for some nice plays....We could see more this season. I'm truly excited about what our passing game could look like this season.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So after intense pessimism on this board for a few months following the bowl game, the last week has seen increasing optimism. It's a lot more fun being an optimistic fan. So Go Gators!. Let's run the table.

gif-girl-table-fat-people-1037612.gif

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I am thinking Gardner and Perine are the guys that should make an impact. Seeing frosh because of depth issues is never good in the SEC. Kids almost need that year to adjust their bodies.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:scratchhead:

I think somebody stole 'Cretes password and is posting in his name...
Not at all, a well designed pass game doesn't mean you have to throw it 60 times a game.....and wouldn't it be nice to see the running game produce 3 players with 800-1200 yards each :headbang:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am thinking Gardner and Perine are the guys that should make an impact. Seeing frosh because of depth issues is never good in the SEC. Kids almost need that year to adjust their bodies.

Well at least not on the lines and QB. But CB, WR, TE, and RB are a different story.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not at all, a well designed pass game doesn't mean you have to throw it 60 times a game.....and wouldn't it be nice to see the running game produce 3 players with 800-1200 yards each :headbang:
Was gonna reply with "not nearly as exciting as watching fat Bert box" and post a pic of him shirtless with boxing gloves on. But I'm back on my phone and that's a pain to do from the phone.

Just ball busting anyway.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Well at least not on the lines and QB. But CB, WR, TE, and RB are a different story.

Completely agree. LB and DT are definitely difficult to play as a true freshman. I guess we don't have to worry about DT. Reese is listed at 244. Nice. Moon at 218 seems light. I hope the D holds up.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Completely agree. LB and DT are definitely difficult to play as a true freshman. I guess we don't have to worry about DT. Reese is listed at 244. Nice. Moon at 218 seems light. I hope the D holds up.

Don't want to lose any key players, but we look a pretty solid two deep rotation on the DL. Cox Jr, Brantley, Ivie, and Cece are first string and the youth movement of J. Zuniga, K. Davis, Wyoming Wild Man Bryan, K. Clarke, and J. Polite is is right there. Our first string DE's are at around 265 right now, the two tackles are around 300. Second string DE's are around 245, Clarke is at 319, Bryan at about 295.

All LB's except McMillan, Moon and Joseph are playing at between 235 and 245 lbs. McMillan is around 225. Joseph is apparently playing and hitting above his weight.

The D looks like it'll hold up.

The only glaring questions on this side of the ball remain whether or not Dawson holds off Gardner at the nickel position and whether or not we can come up with a pair of safeties who work well together and get the job done. And I have a feeling Gardner and Taylor will end up giving depth at CB with the recent injuries and Burnett apparently struggling. Have to wait and see what Putu brings.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm interested in seeing Perine and Taylor. I am hoping that those two give some offensive boost that's needed and Taylor giving some help on the OL. Sounds if Perine is going to be a great addition. Lord knows we can use the depth. But love that he's pushing the other backs.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Cleveland-once his "hamstring injury" heals. Too much talent to not make some sort of impact
Gardner- Don't think he will take Nickel from Dawson but will see some significant playing time there
Thompson- If he does not have fumbling issues
Taylor (O Lineman)- should push Fred Johnson for playing time by midseason
Putu- keep an eye out for this guy

edit: Eddy P- for obvious reasons

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Why do I feel like if Trask got in a game that Law would openly root for him to fail? Is it just me?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I openly root for you to fail.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Why do I feel like if Trask got in a game that Law would openly root for him to fail? Is it just me?

Naa. Trask just threatens laws manhood and he cant ever admit he is wrong. Besides, law is miserable from constantly loosing cases and needs an out for his pent up anger.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You are funny, dude.

For a clown.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My picks for top newbie at each position:
1. OL - Jawaan Taylor: man-child.
2. WR - F. Swain: I'm with Mac and GatorJ on this one. He's gonna make plays.
3. Slot WR - Dre Massey: getting the most favorable mentions from Mac of the whole WR corps.
4. Special Teams - Eddy K. and Massey: the first one is, well, duh, and the second is for return game.
5. LB - Reese AND Joseph: both have come to ball. Joseph might even have the edge right now.
6. DB - Jaewon Taylor: came in at 6'2" and 192 and we really don't know what quality we have at safety.
7. DE - Jachai Polite: big kid, 6'4" 230 in the spring. getting props from vets and staff. where's Clayton?
8. RB- Lamical Perine: it's happening. Thompson got the early press. Perine gets the props from the coach.

breakout redshirt FR: Tyler Jordan (OL), Kylan Johnson (LB), Jabari Zuniga (DT), Keivonnis Davis (DE), Brandon Sandifer (OL), Fred Johnson (OL)

not saying all these guys are going to be starting, but they've shown well in practice and they are in positions of real need on the team.

bwskixryfmvhvmbq0fpm

No Hot Sauce???

Hammonds has 2 catches in the first two drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator