Recruiting NSD 2020 Thread: Where will Zach Evans enroll?

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by jaywalker72, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Sec14Gator

Sec14Gator Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,435
    Ratings:
    +2,680 / -143
    No evidence? Peach Bowl v top 7 Auburn with UCF talent? UCF vs. Auburn - Game Summary - January 1, 2018 - ESPN

Arguably he would not flourish, thus my lower floor remark. But "no evidence" he has a higher ceiling is silly. Perhaps no definitive proof, to which I'd say stop posting if that is your standard since the question asked for a hypothetical (who else would you have hired/how would they do). To respond by implying the flaw is lack of proof because that hypo hasn't occured is not responding at all- of course it hasn't or it wouldn't be a hypo.

Ooooooh K

upload_2020-2-12_15-51-32.jpeg

• chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
      $945
      Ratings:
      +2,640 / -168
      Let's be clear about one thing...Urban Meyer had success at multiple stops and everyone, I mean EVERYONE knew he was the next great coach. Frost had literally two years at UCF, one in which he was 6-7.

As for the Peach Bowl, a motivated G5 team will almost always beat an unmotivated P5 team, i.e. Utah vs Bama in '08. 9 times out of 10, Bama wins that game and same with Auburn. So far, Frostee hasn't won over 5 games at Nebraska and in case you forgot, they were picked to win the Big 10 West this year.

Wake me up when Scott wins something and not being blown out by any good team in a P5 conference.

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix In shambles
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $8,740
        Ratings:
        +16,360 / -652
        So many naive things are said on here. One of them is pointing to UCF vs Auburn as any great accomplishment by UCF.
        Another is that Mullen turned a 4 win team into a 10 win team.

• Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $7,640
          Ratings:
          +7,823 / -119
          Well, he did actually turn a 4 win team into a 10 win team; it just wasn’t really as impressive as it sounds.

• lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $3,006
          Ratings:
          +3,511 / -126
          If your definition of a team is "a collection of players" and leaves out such considerations as leadership, commitment, individual AND group player development, conditioning and at least some semblance of a f'n pulse on the sideline come gameday, I would agree that it is naive to say DM turned a 4 win team into a 10 win team. Of course if you don't take those things into consideration you're probably in awe of Kirby Smart. Talent wise, DM turned a 7-6 team into a 10-3 team. Just saying.

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix In shambles
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $8,740
            Ratings:
            +16,360 / -652
            The 2017 team was a 5 win team that won four.
            The 2018 team was an 8 win team that won 10.

As is the case in years when the head coach is fired 2017 was a bit of an anomaly. We lost to USCe and Mizz* who both had inferior talent but beat UT who had more talent.
            As is also the case in a coach's first year 2018 is also a bit of an anomaly. We lost to KY** and Mizz* but beat LSU, FSU*** and MeatChicken****

* Barry Odom had a record of beating more talented teams that were in transition
            ** Arguably we ran into a buzz saw in KY that year who were playing over their heads and we had yet to discover just how poor our Oline was.
            *** ClusterFck that they were
            **** A team that kinda lost interest after half time.

Reality is complex and nuanced.

• lizardbreath

Oxbucks:
              $3,006
              Ratings:
              +3,511 / -126
              Kinda like my history with women.

• Oscar the G

Oscar the G Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                $368
                Ratings:
                +371 / -242
                talentwise? What year was UF ever a talent wise 7 win team?

• Jack o' Diamonds

Jack o' Diamonds My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $1,719
                Ratings:
                +1,936 / -45
                I sometimes wonder if you guys are serious or just working on the march to two million....

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $7,628
                  Ratings:
                  +7,881 / -666
                  For sure. My interest, but definitely something I'm not sure on, is bc of what I perceive as the osu limitations. I'm guessing it's pretty hard to recruit at osu and he's a big personality so I assume he'd recruit significantly better here. The concerns many people had about mullen's recruiting was based off his struggles when he was actually here before and his issue of hiring staff based on familiarity more than skills like recruiting. Kinda like how some people thought we might have trouble recruiting WRs and OL...

• bayou gator

bayou gator Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,020
                    Ratings:
                    +1,527 / -24
                    THIS is hands down the best recruiting post this site has ever seen. Well done, brother! :fistbump:

• lizardbreath

Oxbucks:
                      $3,006
                      Ratings:
                      +3,511 / -126
                      Stop being so f'n grouchy Oscar. With a lesser coach, a roster riddled with holes, very little depth at many positions, and zero conditioning, the last MeElwain team was mediocre at best - even if the CC debacle had not occurred and McElgoon hadn't flipped the phuuk out. And there are others here who would fault me for being generous in that assessment. Their reasonable range of expectation was somewhere between 6-6 to 8-5 - I called it in the middle with a loss in a minor bowl game.

If you are really saying that the roster was in place to absolutely insure a 10-3 season in 2018, in the absence of tremendous improvements across the board, you are either being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, or you are a great deal more optimistic about the quality and depth of the roster DM inherited than just about anyone I know. Admittedly, I'm somewhat of a pumper in general, but facts are facts and the fact is that DM inherited a catastrophic schyttfest - no matter how you slice it.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $3,995
                        Ratings:
                        +7,214 / -202
                        LB, I agree there were issues with the roster, but to say he inherited a catastrophic schyttfest is way underselling the talent that was on the roster as well. Most of those players were not longer removed from being able to make the SEC Championship game the season prior. I agree, that the 2017 team lacked talent and S&C, but to say that we were less talented than the majority of our schedule in 2018 that just goes against the facts. With the talent on the roster in 2018, the already established coaching in Mullen, and the schedule we had in 2018, 10 wins should have been expected (that is before we lost a game to weather).
                        Northern Co (cancelled)
                        Charleston Southern
                        Kentucky
                        Colorado State
                        At Tennessee (dumpster fire new head coach)
                        At Mississippi State (new head coach different system)
                        LSU
                        At Vandy
                        UGA
                        Missouri
                        South Crackers
                        Idaho
                        At FSU (new coach)

If in the preseason you didn't see 10 wins out of this schedule which was an easier schedule (similar to this season's schedule) with UK, LSU, Miss, and USCe at home. That is why I continue to say, how important the schedule in '18 was to the turnaround. Winning 11 games in '19 where our cancelled game was switched with Miami is more impressive (outside of being completely outcoached/classed by Kirby).

• EuroGator

EuroGator Voice of Reason
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $954
                          Ratings:
                          +1,972 / -152
                          Is this a recruiting thread?

[​IMG]

• Oscar the G

Oscar the G Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                            $368
                            Ratings:
                            +371 / -242
                            I just have a hard time with the whole guessing how talented a team was. Didnt realize you just meant your opinion was a ceiling or average of 7 wins. It's all opinions, I get it. I'm not sure that the talent went from 10 wins in '16, to 7 in '17, and back to 10 in '18. I do think he inherited a ****fest, I just dont believe it was just a talent issue.

• chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
                              $945
                              Ratings:
                              +2,640 / -168
                              I guess my problem with some of your statement is when you mention a team like Miss St and list that they had a new head coach and new system, why do you not give us the same benefit of the doubt? With that also said, that Miss St game was on the road at a place we don't play well at with a team that had three NFL 1st rounders on defense and a total of five NFL draftees. That Miss St team should have done better that year including probably not losing to us. You say we had more talent but we had 0 first rounders and only five guys drafted as well.

The 2018 schedule had sure wins of Idaho, Vandy, Tennessee, Colorado St, Charleston Southern and in my opinion Kentucky. Kentucky turned out to be a very good football team that ended up beating a good Penn St team in a bowl game so that loss isn't as bad as it turned out to be. So I looked at it that we had 6 wins no matter what but we would need to win a few more and it would be a successful season. We got one on the road at MSU that we thought we wouldnt and we upset LSU. Pounded a poor FSU team and took care of WiLLLLLLLie. The season was a success and an "easy-schedule" wasn't the reason. Now if you this coming year's schedule was the one, I'd totally agree. We shouldn't have more than 1-2 losses this year in the regular season.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,995
                              Ratings:
                              +7,214 / -202
                              Looking at that schedule how many teams were of equal or better talent? LSU, UGA, and FSU. We all know the coaching issues at two of those schools. Are you saying that we should have also lost to the Fighting Muschamps at home? Missouri at home? Tenessee which had been a dumpster fire and was on their 17th coaching candidate? And as I said before, before the season, so also Northern Colorado. Mississippi state we should beat on Talent along, but thought it might be a trap game. LSU and FSU had questionable coaching but expected to lose one of those. UGA was going to be lost just due to their depth and talent.

• chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
                              $945
                              Ratings:
                              +2,640 / -168
                              I'm saying after coming out of a four win season with a new system and a bunch of guys who he had not recruited for that system with a QB who absolutely had one of the worst seasons a QB in the O&B ever had the year prior; expectations should have never been 10 wins. Georgia has all the talent in the world but lost to USCe last year. Talent is only one part of the equation. Miss St absolutely had comparable talent to us that year. Better defensive players and honestly pretty equal offensive talent with a ****ty QB.

UT on paper had more talent than us yet we won that game. You're playing one side of the equation here saying "on paper we should win the games with more talent" but you neglect to give the props due when we don't which on paper we did not have more talent than FSU, LSU, UT, and Miss St

• SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $9,396
                                Ratings:
                                +9,394 / -589
                                Doug does not operate in reality sometimes. Totally switching systems absolutely played into the loss against UK. Mizzou was the only WTF loss in 2018.

• chferg

chferg #CousinEddieTime

Oxbucks:
                                $945
                                Ratings:
                                +2,640 / -168
                                Agree.

We never even bothered taking the field against Mizzou and got pounded because of it.