Number of Underclassman

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize that we had so many Underclassman. 65% are Underclassmen, with 45% being redshirt freshmen or true freshmen. We have a really young team. I if we have a good year, it will be a great sign of things to come.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n22857 said:
Are those numbers atypical?
Have to be from competitive teams... This is a good indication of how far behind on scholarships we were when muschamp took over

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chimp inherited a team that was basically on extreme probation due to poor recruiting and mass transfers. We played 20 under in 2011 and had fewer scholly players than South Cal or Penn State. That wasn't on him. Creyer broke it. The piss poor recruiting was especially acute on offense.

He identified the problem and said he wanted to take 30+ the next two years but failed to do so, initially because he didn't want to take 3 star projects. We've had two more years of extreme turnover. No we are taking small classes filled with mostly 3 star projects. The poor recruiting continues to be particularly acute on offense. That is on him. He owns it at this point.

Several on here post that this team is "loaded". I think they are just youngsters not old enough to know what a loaded team looks like.

We are still 3-5 years from being relevant.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't we had a "young team" for 4 consecutive years?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So let's say we sign the same number of players every year. Also assume they all redshirt. If they all stay 5 years we should have 60% underclassmen with 40% freshmen or redshirt freshmen.

There is a variable that would lower those percentages: Not everyone redshirts

There are several variables that would raise those percentages: Players leave early for the NFL, for disciplinary reasons, for medical hardships, to transfer for more playing time and some quit when they realize they don't have the talent.

So I wouldn't be surprised if 65/45 is not unusual. How do they compare to other top SEC programs?

The part that is concerning is where Law is going. Are we consistently carrying 85 scholarship players and are they quality players?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We haven't had 85 scholarship players since 08 I think. (I'm talking real scholly players, not walkon scout teamers that get rewarded because we can't sign enough.)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Youth aside, I do think we are in the best shape on the offensive side of the ball that we've been in for years.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
So let's say we sign the same number of players every year. Also assume they all redshirt. If they all stay 5 years we should have 60% underclassmen with 40% freshmen or redshirt freshmen.

There is a variable that would lower those percentages: Not everyone redshirts

There are several variables that would raise those percentages: Players leave early for the NFL, for disciplinary reasons, for medical hardships, to transfer for more playing time and some quit when they realize they don't have the talent.

So I wouldn't be surprised if 65/45 is not unusual. How do they compare to other top SEC programs?

The part that is concerning is where Law is going. Are we consistently carrying 85 scholarship players and are they quality players?
Transfers in and jucos could also lower the percentages

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Huge upgrade at TE. Other skill positions are pretty much the same with a little more experience. More numbers on the o-line with 11 of those guys signed in the last 2 years, but 9 of those guys were 3 stars.

Agree it's the best shape we've been in.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Machen also does not allow our coaches to over sign like all of the other schools do...we'll continue to have less than 85 scholarship players until he's gone

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n22901 said:
Machen also does not allow our coaches to over sign like all of the other schools do...we'll continue to have less than 85 scholarship players until he's gone

:boom:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I''m all for Machen joining the ranks of the unemployed (or at least employed elsewhere) also.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can't win the SEC with FR and SOPH.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unless Summers is a miracle worker, we are very deficient on the OL with 3 transfers and a Juco. Just friggin mind boggling.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LagoonGator68;n22910 said:
Unless Summers is a miracle worker, we are very deficient on the OL with 3 transfers and a Juco. Just friggin mind boggling.

This is the one area that I do fault Muschamp with our recruiting. He was too slow to realize that you almost have to bring in a minimum of 5 offensive linemen every year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Regarding Matchen, it is my perception that he has hand tied the football program at UF by making them actually walk the line academically and not allowing as many "borderline" characters in during the Muschamp era as we did during the Meyer era. If so, was this a major reason Meyer left, because he knew he wouldn't be able to get the Kelvin Benjamin's and Trent Richardson's and such that it seems the Bama's, LSU's, UGA'S, AU's and FSUX's seem to have no problem getting in ? Are we competing on a level playing field ? I have been told that UF student athlete's have to have higher qualifying standards to get into UF ? I mentioned this once on a national board once and the Clown fan base went absolutely berserk claiming it wasn't true....Not trying to make excuses for Muschamp here but is this in fact the case or a non issue ?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n22927 said:
Regarding Matchen, it is my perception that he has hand tied the football program at UF by making them actually walk the line academically and not allowing as many "borderline" characters in during the Muschamp era as we did during the Meyer era. If so, was this a major reason Meyer left, because he knew he wouldn't be able to get the Kelvin Benjamin's and Trent Richardson's and such that it seems the Bama's, LSU's, UGA'S, AU's and FSUX's seem to have no problem getting in ? Are we competing on a level playing field ? I have been told that UF student athlete's have to have higher qualifying standards to get into UF ? I mentioned this once on a national board once and the Clown fan base went absolutely berserk claiming it wasn't true....Not trying to make excuses for Muschamp here but is this in fact the case or a non issue ?

It is a well known fact that many student athletes that don't academically qualify for UF, do indeed get accepted at other schools with lower acceptance standards. FSU is only one of the many schools that have lower academic requirements than UF.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
Chimp inherited a team that was basically on extreme probation due to poor recruiting and mass transfers. We played 20 under in 2011 and had fewer scholly players than South Cal or Penn State. That wasn't on him. Creyer broke it. The piss poor recruiting was especially acute on offense.

He identified the problem and said he wanted to take 30+ the next two years but failed to do so, initially because he didn't want to take 3 star projects. We've had two more years of extreme turnover. No we are taking small classes filled with mostly 3 star projects. The poor recruiting continues to be particularly acute on offense. That is on him. He owns it at this point.

Several on here post that this team is "loaded". I think they are just youngsters not old enough to know what a loaded team looks like.

We are still 3-5 years from being relevant.
I hope it can be salvaged this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.