O-line showing steady improvement through camp

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
AugustaGator;n265526 said:
Better offensive play calling will do wonders....

It's not the play calling, it's the players. There was nothing wrong with the play calling last year and the offense Roper tried to run wasn't shut down until after the Homecoming disaster against Missouri. The play calling was fine, the execution wasn't. UF actually could have beat Alabama, who turned the ball over four times, if they had executed the plays called. UF had receivers behind Alabama's secondary several times but didn't have a quarterback that could get them the ball. "Contrary to what other coaches have said and contrary to what people think, there were very few talented players,”-Greg McElroy.
When McElwain gets better players, that's when UF will become a better team. Play calling is nice, but if you can't block the other team, it doesn't matter what plays are called. Perhaps UF's line will be better than expected. David Sharpe was rated the second best tackle in the 2014 class, only behind Alabama's Cam Robinson and far higher than FSU's Roderick Johnson who were great players as true freshmen last year. Also, if Martez Ivey, the top rated tackle in 2015, is able to come in and play at a high level right away, UF's line could be a lot better. All of these things are just "ifs" right now. The only proven commodity is Trip Thurman, and I would never confuse him with a good player.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n265599 said:
It's not the play calling, it's the players. There was nothing wrong with the play calling last year and the offense Roper tried to run wasn't shut down until after the Homecoming disaster against Missouri. The play calling was fine, the execution wasn't. UF actually could have beat Alabama, who turned the ball over four times, if they had executed the plays called. UF had receivers behind Alabama's secondary several times but didn't have a quarterback that could get them the ball. "Contrary to what other coaches have said and contrary to what people think, there were very few talented players,”-Greg McElroy.
When McElwain gets better players, that's when UF will become a better team. Play calling is nice, but if you can't block the other team, it doesn't matter what plays are called. Perhaps UF's line will be better than expected. David Sharpe was rated the second best tackle in the 2014 class, only behind Alabama's Cam Robinson and far higher than FSU's Roderick Johnson who were great players as true freshmen last year. Also, if Martez Ivey, the top rated tackle in 2015, is able to come in and play at a high level right away, UF's line could be a lot better. All of these things are just "ifs" right now. The only proven commodity is Trip Thurman, and I would never confuse him with a good player.

Well it is both, you have to work to use the players that you have in the most effective way. You see it all the time, folks have success throwing on say first down, then they go conservative and run the ball in the red zone. Identify the defense and find the best opportunity, not just do what you want to do. Now if you are a superior team you can impose your will on your opponent. We are not there and probably in the SEC nobody will get there.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n265599 said:

For a nole, you sure spend a lot of time on a Gator board. I'd be embarrassed if I were you. You must be one of those who was rejected by UF and had to settle for fsu.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n265601 said:
Well it is both, you have to work to use the players that you have in the most effective way.
Are you seriously reading and responding to Snowblow?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n265483 said:
I wonder if ECU can test our offense at all? Maybe if they have a lot of defenders returning they can a little.
They have a terrible defense, no doubt. However, we only scored 28 against them last year and needed a int the endzone to win the game. I know it felt like we were on the way to a blow out until Treon got injured. Hopefully just flushing Driskel and actually trying to score on offense will change all that.

They are no cupcake for us.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n265687 said:
They have a terrible defense, no doubt. However, we only scored 28 against them last year and needed a int the endzone to win the game. Hopefully just flushing Driskel and trying on offense will change that.

Yes they are. Our offense will be far better this year and ECU lost most of their talent from last year.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n265687 said:
They have a terrible defense, no doubt. However, we only scored 28 against them last year and needed a int the endzone to win the game. I know it felt like we were on the way to a blow out until Treon got injured. Hopefully just flushing Driskel and actually trying to score on offense will change all that.

We didn't need the pick in the endzone to win. They still would have had to get a 2 point conversion and beat us in overtime. The pick simply sealed the deal. And that was against ECU's best bunch in years who were fired up to take down an SEC team with a lame duck staff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, so being down by eight isn't a chance for them to tie then win, but when we were down by eight against UGA and Jordan Reed did the Dog Hop, we almost won?

I have so much trouble with the rules around here. Sometimes the bowl game counts, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes 8 points is a near win sometimes it isn't. So confusing.

You have to keep it simple for me.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n265728 said:
Oh, so being down by eight isn't a chance for them to tie then win, but when we were down by eight against UGA and Jordan Reed did the Dog Hop, we almost won?

I have so much trouble with the rules around here. Sometimes the bowl game counts, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes 8 points is a near win sometimes it isn't. So confusing.

You have to keep it simple for me.

Pretty much change some wording in my post about the ECU game, put it from UGA's perspective, and those are exactly my thoughts on that game. UGA didn't need Reed to fumble into the endzone to win that game, UF still had to convert a 2 point conversion and win in OT. The fumble just sealed the deal.

Still doesn't change the fact that ECU is nowhere near as good as last year, the game is at home, we don't have a lame duck staff, and we'll be fine.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
lagator;n265335 said:
Thanks for the link. 2 things from this, it sounds like the line is coming together, and it sounds like Grier is the starting QB.

I was thinking the same thing about Grier. Mac said that he was looking for his QB to not only produce at the position, but also lead others. The way he was talking in that interview shows that he is leading.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n265840 said:
I was thinking the same thing about Grier. Mac said that he was looking for his QB to not only produce at the position, but also lead others. The way he was talking in that interview shows that he is leading.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Here's the part that I thought showed it.
"O-line’s done a hell of a job," quarterback Will Grier said. "They’ve been moving guys around. A lot has been thrown at them. Our defense is throwing all kinds of fronts and different blitzes and stuff.
"Basically, it’s coming along really well too. We just got to continue working with those guys. But like I said, I’ve been really impressed with that group. They’ve done a really good job."
The biggest difference from the very beginning of camp has been an improvement in communication. Grier has made sure the unit is on the same page, and while there are still busted protections here and there, the improvement has been notable.
"Our communication has gotten a lot better," Grier said. "The big thing is making sure me and the center and the rest of the line are on the same page communicating with them. Like I said, it’s coming a long way and we’re a lot better with that now. Like I said, we’re getting deep into camp and we’re doing a lot of things better. That’s one of those things that we’re better at, but we’ve got to keep the pedal to the metal and keep going forward with this."

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n265687 said:

They lose their all time leading passer, all time leading receiver and their oc. Something tells me their offense may take a step back.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
EuroGator;n265845 said:
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Here's the part that I thought showed it.
"O-line’s done a hell of a job," quarterback Will Grier said. "They’ve been moving guys around. A lot has been thrown at them. Our defense is throwing all kinds of fronts and different blitzes and stuff.
"Basically, it’s coming along really well too. We just got to continue working with those guys. But like I said, I’ve been really impressed with that group. They’ve done a really good job."
The biggest difference from the very beginning of camp has been an improvement in communication. Grier has made sure the unit is on the same page, and while there are still busted protections here and there, the improvement has been notable.
"Our communication has gotten a lot better," Grier said. "The big thing is making sure me and the center and the rest of the line are on the same page communicating with them. Like I said, it’s coming a long way and we’re a lot better with that now. Like I said, we’re getting deep into camp and we’re doing a lot of things better. That’s one of those things that we’re better at, but we’ve got to keep the pedal to the metal and keep going forward with this."

Just where do you get the idea that Grier is doing a better job of leading? From Grier talking? From Goldkamp, who has been pumping Grier as feverishly as he pumped up Driskel last year? I've seen nothing McElwain has said that indicates that Grier was doing better as a leader. The most recent comment from him said both QB's were doing o.k. with the first team but that Harris did a better job leading the second team. It seems that you are seeing something that isn't there because, my guess is that you think Grier should win the job, right?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;265898 said:
Just where do you get the idea that Grier is doing a better job of leading? From Grier talking? From Goldkamp, who has been pumping Grier as feverishly as he pumped up Driskel last year? I've seen nothing McElwain has said that indicates that Grier was doing better as a leader. The most recent comment from him said both QB's were doing o.k. with the first team but that Harris did a better job leading the second team. It seems that you are seeing something that isn't there because, my guess is that you think Grier should win the job, right?

From everything I read it looks like Grier is doing a better job getting the team down field and sustaining drives. But he's having issues punching it in. Treon is the exact opposite.

Problem is that you can't use one QB to bring you to the redzone and then change QBs.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
GatorJ;n266230 said:
From everything I read it looks like Grier is doing a better job getting the team down field and sustaining drives. But he's having issues punching it in. Treon is the exact opposite.

Problem is that you can't use one QB to bring you to the redzone and then change QBs.
Maybe use Grier down the field and Treon in the red zone. Tebow redux.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If Muschamp had spent more time worrying about the 0-line instead of his mid- and bottom-line then we wouldn't be so worried about the Vegas line now would we?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
GatorJ;n266230 said:

Sure you can. A HBC can do anything he wants. Just ask SOS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n265897 said:
They lose their all time leading passer, all time leading receiver and their oc. Something tells me their offense may take a step back.
You are probably right.

I can't imagine their backup To last year's backup Qb is any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.