Obscene Contract Money

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I will never watch this shyt again.

I thought oaying Joey Votto 100 mil to walk a lot, strike out a lot, slap singles, and not drive in or score runs was beyond absurd. No one who chases a ball around is worth 8 figures much less 9.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I will never watch this shyt again.

I thought oaying Joey Votto 100 mil to walk a lot, strike out a lot, slap singles, and not drive in or score runs was beyond absurd. No one who chases a ball around is worth 8 figures much less 9.

As a casual Reds fan who grew up and watched the "Big Red Machine", I just wanted to make one TINY correction to your post. Votto got 200 LARGE. Made me vomit twice as much when it happened.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've only watched a handful of games since the '88 strike. Mostly games I was invited to see in person and the '90 Series when the A's got b!tch slapped in a sweep.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's out of control........ Fan's need to exercise their right to not support this craziness!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Market sets the salaries. Better than all the owners making all the money.

1. Stop watching that crap sport
2. Stop voting yes on stadium financing referendums
3. Stop buying merchandise.

in 20 years it would reset.

only sport worth $10M plus per year is football mainly due to the health damage.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't understand how the salaries keep going up and up and up. At some point it has to slow down, or come back down. There are thousands of empty seats in the stands and how many people are watching a 35-50 baseball team on a Tuesday night in July? I live in DC and the Nats just won the World Series, you can get tickets for $6 (or less) on weekdays throughout the summer and the stadium is barely half full.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball needs a salary cap. Not because I care about how much money some dude makes but because it creates more competition. The parity in the NFL has taken a noticeable turn for the better since they introduced the cap IMO. I say my opinion because I know some will argue that the cap doesn't really create parity but I think those arguments are flimsy.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Baseball needs a salary cap. Not because I care about how much money some dude makes but because it creates more competition. The parity in the NFL has taken a noticeable turn for the better since they introduced the cap IMO. I say my opinion because I know some will argue that the cap doesn't really create parity but I think those arguments are flimsy.
I think you’re right on. The cap just highlights who has the best management team. Generally, most management teams are about equal and most teams are pretty close. Pats are better than most and the results show. Dolphins and Bengals are worse and the results show. Cap is great.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I don't understand how the salaries keep going up and up and up. At some point it has to slow down, or come back down. There are thousands of empty seats in the stands and how many people are watching a 35-50 baseball team on a Tuesday night in July? I live in DC and the Nats just won the World Series, you can get tickets for $6 (or less) on weekdays throughout the summer and the stadium is barely half full.
They must make a ton from advertisements. Only thing that makes sense.

Great White Buffalo

Lifetime Member
Dec 7, 2017

Revenue sharing and TV money. I assume there will be a correction when the current CBA runs out in 2021.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They must make a ton from advertisements. Only thing that makes sense.
Revenue sharing and TV money. I assume there will be a correction when the current CBA runs out in 2021.

I get that, but at some point the advertisers/sponsors have to look at return on investment. If fewer people are attending and fewer people are watching, why pay so much for advertising?

Also, at what point do they stop raising concession prices? A 16oz Bud Light costs $12 at Nats Park.

I went to the Pats/Ravens game a few weeks ago and the Ravens stadium has very reasonable concession prices (a beer is $6, pizza is $5, peanuts $3, bottled water $2, etc). More stadiums need to do that to get fans back in the seats - especially at stadiums where the team is a dud/loser (like the Redskins).

Paying a player $30 million for one season is - good for him - but a slap in the face of fans. These leagues want kids to grow up a fan of the team, but their parents can't afford to take them to the game. It's a cycle that's going to crash sooner or later.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I get that, but at some point the advertisers/sponsors have to look at return on investment. If fewer people are attending and fewer people are watching, why pay so much for advertising?

Also, at what point do they stop raising concession prices? A 16oz Bud Light costs $12 at Nats Park.

I went to the Pats/Ravens game a few weeks ago and the Ravens stadium has very reasonable concession prices (a beer is $6, pizza is $5, peanuts $3, bottled water $2, etc). More stadiums need to do that to get fans back in the seats - especially at stadiums where the team is a dud/loser (like the Redskins).

Paying a player $30 million for one season is - good for him - but a slap in the face of fans. These leagues want kids to grow up a fan of the team, but their parents can't afford to take them to the game. It's a cycle that's going to crash sooner or later.
Some really good points. Strategy seems short sighted. Baseball could be a sustainable sport. I think CTE/the media are going to pull football apart eventually but baseball does not have those concerns. That said, they’re still raking in the dough so what do i know?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
324 million for Cole! He plays once every 5 days......

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Will never happen because big markets drive revenue

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Bankees wouldnt be able to field half their team with a cap. 9 years is also stupid. I hope he needs tommy john year one

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well over half a billion paid to Cole and Strasburg, who signed for 245m over nine a couple days ago, and yet only one 20-win season between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.