Offensive line trouble - David Wunderlich Film Study (CSU vs UF)

G8RFAN16

Internet Surfing Coach Extraordinaire
Nov 20, 2017
Didn't Scarlett score at TD against UT running in the middle?
Yes he did, and he did a great job of breaking 3 tackles and carrying a dude a yard into the endzone. I was speaking more of the formation that we used about 95% of the time for the game on offense (5 man front with TE on either right or left side lined up on the line and only QB & HB in the back field. Just saying that we need to mix it up a little more with the formations we use (placing the TE in a flex position and motioning him in the backfield if need be and using them as like a fullback. If you go back and look at the formation we used at the 3:11 mark in the 2nd Qtr we had TE Moral Stephens in a flex position on the right side. Granted it was a WR sweep to the left and not a run but, just an example of what I was eluding too in terms of the extra blocker because Stephens pulls to the left side of the line at the snap and helps get a block that allows Kadarius Toney the big gain. Definitely like where this team is in comparison to last year, absolutely night and day difference. I also understand these young men are learning a new scheme offensively and defensively. I was just stating that because the OL may/may not be suited to the scheme that Mullen wants to run, we will need to mix up the formations we use to assist and utilize the TE as an addiitional blocker coming out of the backfield. Sometimes the armchair coach comes out in me a bit too much.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
No f*ck it's not...it's something you're either born with or it isn't...Period!

Swear all you want, be as wrong as loudly as you want, but in fact coaching is what toughens up players. Coaching leads to players with better attitudes. Coaching leads to players hating losing enough to play within a team philosophy to win.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Yes he did, and he did a great job of breaking 3 tackles and carrying a dude a yard into the endzone. I was speaking more of the formation that we used about 95% of the time for the game on offense (5 man front with TE on either right or left side lined up on the line and only QB & HB in the back field. Just saying that we need to mix it up a little more with the formations we use (placing the TE in a flex position and motioning him in the backfield if need be and using them as like a fullback. If you go back and look at the formation we used at the 3:11 mark in the 2nd Qtr we had TE Moral Stephens in a flex position on the right side. Granted it was a WR sweep to the left and not a run but, just an example of what I was eluding too in terms of the extra blocker because Stephens pulls to the left side of the line at the snap and helps get a block that allows Kadarius Toney the big gain. Definitely like where this team is in comparison to last year, absolutely night and day difference. I also understand these young men are learning a new scheme offensively and defensively. I was just stating that because the OL may/may not be suited to the scheme that Mullen wants to run, we will need to mix up the formations we use to assist and utilize the TE as an addiitional blocker coming out of the backfield. Sometimes the armchair coach comes out in me a bit too much.

I don't think the formation is the issue. The "hip" or "stack" position is the TE 1 yard off and 1 yard outside the Tackle. What this does is bring an extra blocker (and tackler) into the box and the blocking scheme effectively negates the backside DE or LB depending on the play. What everyone is calling a dive play isn't a dive play, it is an inside zone run. This can be done with or without a TE lined up in the box. My team runs it without a TE. Power and counter are typically run with a TE. The problem I see with the OL when we run the power and counter is the playside Guard and Tackle don't stay on the double team on the DT long enough before getting to the LB. There is not a lot of push on the DT with the double team. Its a common problem. Same when we run inside zone. When I coached OL and was the running game coordinator, I simplified this to just focus on the double teams and not worry about the LBs. What we saw was the double teams were pushing the DTs into the LBs forcing the LB to pick a side. When the LB picked, the RB went the other way and we started ripping yards off. When the RB went the wrong way, we were 3-4 yards downfield before contact was made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator