Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** #24 UF @ #18 USCe

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t give up 51 in the second half ever if you want to win. Defense sucks.

Surprised it’s been so bad all year long. Todd’s calling card is defense.

Maybe we should mix it up and throw some zones every once and awhile

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Surprised it’s been so bad all year long. Todd’s calling card is defense.

Maybe we should mix it up and throw some zones every once and awhile
Just an observation but our guards tend to get lost on the high picks and either as a result or just by inattention or laziness give up a penetrating drive that puts the post players at a disadvantage of having to step out to defend and leave their guys open at the post or sit back and let the penetrator take the open shot/layup. To your point about playing a little zone from time to time, the USCe coach essentially cut our throat with his 1-3-1 late. We couldn’t get the O started against it. Todd had no answer and a winnable game ON THE ROAD against a RANKED SEC OPPONENT evaporated into thin air.

There’s two lessons for Todd as a result. Let’s see if it sinks in and affects his game strategy moving forward. We’ve got talented guys, but several are young and not as physically mature as they will be. They could use a little schematic help, especially at crunch time. I will say this for Todd…he’s at least stopped trying to sit on a lead late, dribbling the clock down and settling for just any shot, usually low percentage, and allowing the opposition to hang around or get back in it. Still got a lot to do to get to the upper echelon of the conference, much less those that are factors for a serious run in the tournament (not NIT) imo.

* Will also add that w/o Pullin we probably don’t win 10 games this year. His ability to penetrate and make the mid to close jumpers kept us going until we started making some perimeter shots and getting the ball inside to Samuel (getting the ball to him cutting down the lane is an effective play for us, especially after a TO).

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Golden has to figure out how to operate an offense against zone. It’s killing this team.
Well I watched the replay and somehow UF was able to build a double digit lead with those same terrible officials midway thru the second half. Yet when USCe threw in that 1-3-1 zone, those same terrible officials caused UF to self destruct? It is has been a common theme the entire season. The UF offense against any reasonable zone defense has been abysmal all year. I mean yesterday's attempt at attacking that zone was worse than what I was taught when I played Jr high and High school basketball. Yes USCe had some length on the floor, but they are not the most athletic team UF will play, but they are good defensively. You cannot stand still against a zone defense and just think you can somehow shoot over the top of it consistently after trying to pass the ball lazily around the perimeter..

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well I watched the replay and somehow UF was able to build a double digit lead with those same terrible officials midway thru the second half. Yet when USCe threw in that 1-3-1 zone, those same terrible officials caused UF to self destruct? It is has been a common theme the entire season. The UF offense against any reasonable zone defense has been abysmal all year. I mean yesterday's attempt at attacking that zone was worse than what I was taught when I played Jr high and High school basketball. Yes USCe had some length on the floor, but they are not the most athletic team UF will play, but they are good defensively. You cannot stand still against a zone defense and just think you can somehow shoot over the top of it consistently after trying to pass the ball lazily around the perimeter..
When attacking a zone you have to shoot your way through a zone. Yes, you’re going to miss, but the faster you pass and shoot against it, the sooner they will need to shift.

You can’t dribble your way through it. Unless your ball handler is an excellent passer who can quickly get the ball to the open guy once he gets doubled. Pullin is an excellent PG but he is not an elite passer. Very lazy passer when pressed. He should’ve had about a dozen turnovers that game.

You need good off ball movement. Making them constantly scramble. Go to a smaller lineup. With only one big. It reduces your chance for offensive rebounds, but offensive rebounds are hard to get against a zone anyway.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
We play a ton of man ourselves so it isn't surprising and you almost never see it in HS ball. They all think they are NBA players waiting to be drafted. He better get it figures out and quick cause he is going to see it again.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
You need good off ball movement. Making them constantly scramble.

This is what USCe did all game long. It worked, because it's their style of play.

Go to a smaller lineup. With only one big. It reduces your chance for offensive rebounds, but offensive rebounds are hard to get against a zone anyway.

I've seen Todd doing this lately to close out games with 4 small + 1 big. We just aren't doing the above bit about ball movement and making the defense chase, because we never play that way normally, we don't have a feel for it with our players :\

^^None of the above is a counter to your statements, more of me talking out loud as the light bulb is warming up.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It's clear we need that 1 elite defender who can guard multiple positions. A guy like Brewer or Young who weren't great on offense but still averages 10 a game, but can change a game by his defense is what this team needs. Those guys made the game so much easier for the rest of the team because they could erase so many issues on the defensive side of the ball. Brewer in particular could guard 3 positions and shut them all down. Young was an elite pick and roll defender and directed the defense, although it helped Wilbekin was an elite defender as well.

Sucks to lose after building a lead. We are sitting at 6th in the league and a 7 seed in the tournament, which is better than an 8/9. I would love a 6, but that would take getting to the conference championship game or even winning it at this point.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Good news. Lets move that June date to December.
I’ll consider keeping the board active after 6/5 if you’ll agree to sacrifice yourself to save this place for the enjoyment of others. Would you agree to a self ban?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I’ll consider keeping the board active after 6/5 if you’ll agree to sacrifice yourself to save this place for the enjoyment of others. Would you agree to a self ban?

Just a self ban?

bbf72012-7af8-4960-87aa-1832655da0a9_text.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's clear we need that 1 elite defender who can guard multiple positions. A guy like Brewer or Young who weren't great on offense but still averages 10 a game, but can change a game by his defense is what this team needs. Those guys made the game so much easier for the rest of the team because they could erase so many issues on the defensive side of the ball. Brewer in particular could guard 3 positions and shut them all down. Young was an elite pick and roll defender and directed the defense, although it helped Wilbekin was an elite defender as well.

Sucks to lose after building a lead. We are sitting at 6th in the league and a 7 seed in the tournament, which is better than an 8/9. I would love a 6, but that would take getting to the conference championship game or even winning it at this point.

I agree completely with your comments about an elite defender. Early on it seemed that Kugel had a chance to become that guy. Not sure he could cover the point but he could potentially take on the 2,3, or 4 in some cases.
Unfortunately it seems that his defensive effort has dropped off as the season has progressed. He is consistently slow to work through screens resulting in lots of open threes.
I honestly don’t understand why he’s getting the minutes he’s getting recently.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I agree completely with your comments about an elite defender. Early on it seemed that Kugel had a chance to become that guy. Not sure he could cover the point but he could potentially take on the 2,3, or 4 in some cases.
Unfortunately it seems that his defensive effort has dropped off as the season has progressed. He is consistently slow to work through screens resulting in lots of open threes.
I honestly don’t understand why he’s getting the minutes he’s getting recently.
Sometimes guys need a breather. That's all I can think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator