***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UGA***

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well even thru the turnovers, we still had a chance, but what we had seen offensively all year is about what we got today. However what some of us thought about our defense beyond stats, really came home to roost today. This is at its best an average defense and to UGA's credit, they easily exposed the most obvious weaknesses today. Unlike when they played LSU 2 weeks ago, UGA did not give up on the run early in this game. They then exposed our LB's and Safetys in man to man pass coverage b/c they knew how poor we are in those areas. And as a team defense, when we needed them most they completely failed. Yes the D made a terrific stand after the Franks fumble, but for 50 seconds at the end of the 1st half they bent and broke. Then after we cut it to 23-17 early in the 4thQ. they bent and broke badly and in a hurry, culminated by an easy TD pass to a top WR isolated against one of our safetys. Amazing how we get exposed by other coaches in the pass game, yet we seem to not be able to get those matchups against other teams. Or maybe we do, but Franks just can;t see it?
To a large degree I agree. We are weak at lb and safety and now cb. All in all we did well with what we have. We were in the game until then end even after 3 to’s. That is amazing!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not until we can make 3 out of 5 possessions steady scoring drives will we be a legitimate contender.
We have a legit running attack even without a legit OL ... so it could be much better in the future.
IMO our WRs can handle hot passes if they're not thrown over their heads or behind them ( 55%?).
Got a great punter and a great FG kicker. Got an interesting DC, full of adventure ?
In DM we seem to have a solid CEO and HC as well.
Apparently, we are devoid of good recruiters.
Have we got anybody who is good at recruiting good recruiters = damn catch-22 ?

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
I think they showed great heart by staying in the game even through the shot storm of a first quarter. Under previous regimes we would have folded like a lawn chair. Props to mullen and the boys on that......BUT HOLD ON TO THE FREAKING BALL!!!!!!!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Like I said last week, screw the rankings just win. We made it a game for a while at least. I do think that if we could have hit the flea flicker and didn't turn the ball over we would have either won or been in a battle till the end. Overall I think we played hard and will learn from this. We need to recruit!

leogator

May 5, 2018
Not until we can make 3 out of 5 possessions steady scoring drives will we be a legitimate contender.
We have a legit running attack even without a legit OL ... so it could be much better in the future.
IMO our WRs can handle hot passes if they're not thrown over their heads or behind them ( 55%?).
Got a great punter and a great FG kicker. Got an interesting DC, full of adventure ?
In DM we seem to have a solid CEO and HC as well.
Apparently, we are devoid of good recruiters.
Have we got anybody who is good at recruiting good recruiters = damn catch-22 ?
We have a good OL not great but actually good. They are the unit that made the biggest strides from the beginning of the year. We did ran against both Georgia and LSU. The OL kept the pocket clean for Franks. If we only had a QB...

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
We have a good OL not great but actually good. They are the unit that made the biggest strides from the beginning of the year. We did ran against both Georgia and LSU. The OL kept the pocket clean for Franks. If we only had a QB...

I was surprised at how many 5-8 yd runs we had yesterday, with many of those looking like the RBs didn’t have to do it on their own. Props to Hevesy. I want quantum leaps as much as the next Gator, but the baby steps are promising.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I didn't get to watch much of the game as I was out of town for the weekend. I did see the goal line stand inside a sporting goods store. That was impressive and I seen may worse PI called that the call on #12. But wow did that D play those downs well.

Sucks we lost to the damn dogs. I'm hoping we win out and waste the clowns.

Go Gata...

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
We have 3 seniors starting on the O-line. O-line likely takes a big hit and will be relying on underclassmen with very little experience. D line is losing Jefferson. Clark is also a senior but hasn't done a lot this year. But the D-line is loaded with Juniors. If Polite and Zuniga bolt we are looking at rebuilds of both lines.

It's a very popular myth that every time something doesn't go our way it's because Mac's players suck and we will be so much better with DM's guys. I expect us to be a 9-3 type team under Mullen unless somehow he and his staff all of a sudden become elite recruiters.
We have 3 seniors starting on the O-line. O-line likely takes a big hit and will be relying on underclassmen with very little experience. D line is losing Jefferson. Clark is also a senior but hasn't done a lot this year. But the D-line is loaded with Juniors. If Polite and Zuniga bolt we are looking at rebuilds of both lines.

It's a very popular myth that every time something doesn't go our way it's because Mac's players suck and we will be so much better with DM's guys. I expect us to be a 9-3 type team under Mullen unless somehow he and his staff all of a sudden become elite recruiters.
Very pragmatic points of view. A tad depressing though.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

9-3 may be optimistic. The team is over achieving this year. O-line will be young with no all-americans (unless we sign a hell of a class). We have holes everywhere in the roster with no quality depth.

3-5 years IMO.

In the mean time: Go Wildcats!

We need a top five recruiting class.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Next year's team likely won't be more talented than this one, and quite possibly less depending on Junior departures. I expect another loss this year and a similar record next year. 9-3 +/- a bowl win is what we look like we will be for awhile. Not bad. In fact, sort of good, just not good enough.
Imo next year we'll regress unless whoever is the QB can carry the team. OL will be young, so will LB and DL and we have a harder schedule

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Imo next year we'll regress unless whoever is the QB can carry the team. OL will be young, so will LB and DL and we have a harder schedule

If Jones is truly ready to earn the starting job, maybe the play calling and execution improves? As was mentioned elsewhere, play calling with FF appears to be limited.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Is there an answer somewhere to the "imodest knees" question? It looked to me as if he returned to the field having made not the slightest alteration to his uniform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator