***Official UF vs Gonzaga Basketball Thread***

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
If we shoot 3-19 from 3...we win this game on a normal day. Just embarrassing display on offense. Things need to change in some way because we can't beat really good teams without a little bit of offense.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, I don't know why he's calling us out like we're way out of line and can't have an open convo about a loss...

I don't think there's anything to get lol. Hes the pumper of all pumpers. Heck I've been called a pumper on here and even I can see this is blatant pumping :lol:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You probably didn't think last years team would or could hit 12 3s in a game but they did against one of the best defensive teams in the nation vs WVU the #9 team in the nation at the time as we won 88-71. We also hit 15 3s in a game last year too...

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
You probably didn't think last years team would or could hit 12 3s in a game but they did against one of the best defensive teams in the nation vs WVU the #9 team in the nation at the time as we won 88-71. We also hit 15 3s in a game last year too...
We also had DFS who was a 40% 3pt shooter. It's comes down to how the 3pters are taken. Tonight 18 of them were not even contested. They have to make at least 30% of those.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Yea and if this team was awful there would be no point in criticizing, but At least i think this team has real potential, so I think it's ok to discuss the negatives and positives about the team after a win or loss on an open forum. It's a part of being a fan. It's ok I'm a pumper too but I'm also a realist about the actual course of events that take place

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if I would put it on the coaches. At some point you have to make a shot. The second half they just packed it in and there was nothing we could do. You're gonna have hard time beating a top10 team when you go over 5mins without scoring.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Hill is a TO machine, has been since the day he got here. Drives to the goal and then throws it away trying to dish, over and over again.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
White needs to try putting Barry in the starting role at point guard. Our point guard situation has been abysmal for far too long now. Hill's the worst PG I've seen on this team since Nabe Palmer.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We also had DFS who was a 40% 3pt shooter. It's comes down to how the 3pters are taken. Tonight 18 of them were not even contested. They have to make at least 30% of those.

And 30% is not even a good %. Imagine if they would shoot 35%, which still is not that great. If they are missing wide open 3s, maybe it's time to think of something else. But, this was a very good Gonzaga team. I hope they learn from games like this, and playing tough will teams will only help their tournament resume.

We have to beat Miami tomorrow.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our starting PGs just arent that good. If we had good play there we could beat anybody on a given night. This team should be a tourney team however with Barry.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sadly, I fell asleep during the first half and only saw the final score this morning. But reading some of the opinions and looking at the stats, it appears the 3 point line is a big topic. Well I will say what I have said for a zillion years. That 3 point line is fools gold. When a team make a high % of 3's it hides a lot of mistakes and can appear the team is playing better maybe than they truly are. When they miss a large % of 3's , it can often be a convenient excuse. Having not seen this game in total, I can't say if 19 3-pt attempts was a lot or not. Were the shots good shots within the flow of the offense or were they just jacking them up? Could they have gotten the same shot later in the shot clock and thus did not explore a better option early on in the possession. My experience with White is that they take too many "bad" 3's, but not seeing this entire game I can't comment with conviction. I do like that the team appears to have adopted a defensive mindset on that end and I like the determination there. But Egbunu still needs to kick the ball out of the post on offense more b/c he has take too many poor shots early on this season.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sadly, I fell asleep during the first half and only saw the final score this morning. But reading some of the opinions and looking at the stats, it appears the 3 point line is a big topic. Well I will say what I have said for a zillion years. That 3 point line is fools gold. When a team make a high % of 3's it hides a lot of mistakes and can appear the team is playing better maybe than they truly are. When they miss a large % of 3's , it can often be a convenient excuse. Having not seen this game in total, I can't say if 19 3-pt attempts was a lot or not. Were the shots good shots within the flow of the offense or were they just jacking them up? Could they have gotten the same shot later in the shot clock and thus did not explore a better option early on in the possession. My experience with White is that they take too many "bad" 3's, but not seeing this entire game I can't comment with conviction. I do like that the team appears to have adopted a defensive mindset on that end and I like the determination there. But Egbunu still needs to kick the ball out of the post on offense more b/c he has take too many poor shots early on this season.

There were way more "bad" shots taken than good shots. That's this team's MO it seems. Rush things and take bad shots over and over and over again. Oh, and Hill driving to the basket and turning the ball over, over and over and over again... They waste a lot of possessions imo. White needs to tear them some new buttholes about that crap. They played very good defense for the most part. That's what kept them in the game until late. Then Zaga just started hitting all their shots as our guys got worn down and couldn't keep up the pace. I'm no BBall expert, but even I could see our guys were off balance and not in control of their bodies for a huge % of their shots, especially late in the game. But I only watched the 2nd half so the other guys will have to chime in on how poor our shot choices were in the first half.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn't watch, don't get espnu. Kept up with the action by checking the game thread every ten minutes or so. Thanks to everyone for keeping us up to date.

As far as the team, sounds like the same crap we saw last year. Athletes who aren't basketball players. Doesn't matter if you can play defense and have length. At some point you can either shoot the ball and are a ball player or not. Wasn't a fan of the hire, still not.

Edit - one more thing. The fact that we still have PGs driving into the defense and turning it over again and again tells me all I really need to know about this coaching staff.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
75-80% of the 3pters were great looks. I am not kidding when I say they didn't even attempt to contest the shots. The amount of 3pters or type of 3pters were not the problem. It was just missing completely unguarded 3pters imo.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like our shooters have insulted the rims and made them unfriendly rims.
They have no awareness of their body position and no feel for where the rims are relevant to that.
It's actually ugly basketball. It was really severe in this game, but it is the Gator standard in general
game after game. Can in-close shooting touch be taught - I think it is a trained mindset ... a thinking in
practice shooting ?

The only way to avoid our season-long agony will be by watching them get "trained" out of this
really clumsy touch - bull in china shop shooting. Start with 6'11" Egbunu's short hook.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kasey Hill last year the last 9 GAMES averaged 13 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 2 turnovers a game. Yall probably don't remember that though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator