Oklahoma Too Good Academically For SEC.........?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The big question...why is there a picture of Manziel at the top of the article?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Don't kid yourself. They have an open invitation. We expanded to 14 teams, not 16, because we are holding two seats for UO and perhaps OSU (if we must bc they are a package deal).
I wouldn't be suprised if we grabbed Virginia instead of osu. I heard that being discussed on the radio the other day. Would make more sense from a tv market standpoint.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It is not a good measure for a school's overall academics. It does show you that Oklahoma isn't anything special compared to academically focused schools that scored in the 990's and even had a perfect score. It shows you they are no different than anyone else. So the academic elitism they showed in the article is just the actions of an idiot grandstanding.

Again how good athletes have done academically in some measure put together by athletes departments tells you nothing about how good the academics are at that school. For example if OU athletes have a better APR than say athletes at Harvard, that does not mean OU is a better school than Harvard. However your persistence at this is cute.

On the other hand Harvard having a better ARP than OU might mean:

1. Harvard recruits better students as athletes than OU.

2. Harvard cuts more corners for athletes than OU

3. OU recruits athletes with more earning power in professional sports.

4. Harvard has more easy majors for athletes to seek out. (This is unlikely in this example, but possible as alluded to below.)

5. Some combination of the 4 above.

Now change the name Harvard to UNC and you can see that 4 is a possibility.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Don't kid yourself. They have an open invitation. We expanded to 14 teams, not 16, because we are holding two seats for UO and perhaps OSU (if we must bc they are a package deal).

You think OU has an open invitation? Now the SEC has been pretty dumb about expansion, but seriously you think they have an open invite for a school from a state of just under 4 million in population and would take two schools from that state?

The SEC might have an open invite for UTx if aTm has not blocked that. Barring UTx, the next SEC expansion needs to be up the east coast. The SEC currently has a team in the 2nd largest state Texas, the 3rd Florida and the 8th Georgia. Logically the SEC would want to get into North Carolina 9th largest and Virginia 12 largest next unless Ohio and Illinois seem viable. I would think UNC or NCSU or UVa or VPISU or some other schools in those states would be the best bets for the SEC.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So Mississippi State, who is specifically dissed in the article, is a bit behind at 1095, but it is not as if they are in totally different academic neighborhoods.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
OU is in the Big 12 and the Big 12 admitted WVU. I don't ever want to hear OU and academics in the same sentence again.

Yeah, so true. WVU is the school where kids go if they cant get into Awbarn, Cowbell, or community college.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think expansion is inevitable, but not until the current TV contracts run out in the early 2020s. All conferences except the SEC have grant of rights deals in place, meaning that if member schools switch conferences, the money they make from any media deals stays with the old conference. There are differing opinions as to whether these GOR deals would withstand legal challenges and maybe Alex or Law can weigh in. Logically, though, even if a school litigated and beat the GOR deal, presumably the litigation would cost millions. And if they lost? That's a lot of money down the peeshadoo in legal fees, plus either recognizing no TV revenue in the new conference, or staying in the old conference with a massive case of butthurt. Ergo, it seems as if the next tectonic shifts in the conference landscape won't occur for a few years - as the current media deals near their end.

When they do occur, I do think OU will join us with either OSU (if they are a package deal) or Texas if they give up their private TV network and agree to be less self-important (unlikely). It is possible we grab OU and a school in the east - maybe in North Carolina or Virginny, but it's hard to see the Virginny schools splitting up. For some reason, NC State seems like it might the most viable. Wake and Duke are non-starters and I just don't see the Heels leaving the ACC.

Eventually I think we are going to see maybe 4 mega-conferences that possibly break away from the NCAA.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
When they do occur, I do think OU will join us with either OSU (if they are a package deal) or Texas if they give up their private TV network and agree to be less self-important (unlikely). It is possible we grab OU and a school in the east - maybe in North Carolina or Virginny, but it's hard to see the Virginny schools splitting up. For some reason, NC State seems like it might the most viable. Wake and Duke are non-starters and I just don't see the Heels leaving the ACC.

Eventually I think we are going to see maybe 4 mega-conferences that possibly break away from the NCAA.

Why would the SEC want OU? Of the candidates mentions so far I see it as:

1. UTx, everyone but aTm wants them for sure and I don't know how aTm feels. BTW, I think the SEC can make programs so rather than aTm or begging UTx, I was for inviting Houston before aTm came. If you make a program they will be really loyal.

2. UNC, I have read they are tied at the hip with Duke. I can not see the SEC taking both, but maybe Duke gets you good northeastern exposure.

3. UVa, I believe the Va legislature tied them by law to VPIS and I can not see the SEC taking both. On the SEC makes programs front, if George Mason had football they would be a prospect to get the SEC into the DC market.

4. NCSU, they might be the best prospect in NC if UNC has in fact tied itself to Duke. Also they might be very interested in coming if they see the aTm experience as a positive example and they think they might be able to get out from under the shadow of UNC and Duke.

5. OU, I guess if the SEC is expanding for the sake of expanding they might take a school from another small state.

6. OSU, I am not sure why the SEC would take the second school in a small state. it would be like taking Clemson or Louisville. There is no up side.

As for breaking away from the NCAA, now that schools are confusing athletic conferences with academic ranking, I doubt the power schools want to leave an organization that includes Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc. to be in an organization that includes Mississippi State, Clemson, UWVa, Washington State, Nebraska but no Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't be suprised if we grabbed Virginia instead of osu. I heard that being discussed on the radio the other day. Would make more sense from a tv market standpoint.
You should be. Most of the ACC teams were available last time but we didn't take them. Team with empty stadiums at schools that care more about nonrevenue sports like bouncy ball aren't going to be on the list.

It's about both expanding footprint and making the SEC the ultimate powerhouse conference. Of course, Texass has an open invitation also, which is why we added TAM immediately but hesistated for months, waiting on Texass, U of O, and Okie State. Mizzu was not a target but they were way better than the ACC options.

I'd also like to see South Carolina take their asses back to the ACC if were to make room for another school.
Well, USC has been more competitive than Kintucky, Vandy and Cowbell. I know Cowbell won the west back in their Hayday under Jackie Sherrill but USC has won several recently.

Last edited:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why would the SEC want OU?:

All of the recent waves of expansion have been about one thing and one thing only: money. Money in college football is driven by TV revenue. TV revenue is driven by ratings. Ratings are driven by inventory (number of games) and are measured by eyeballs actually watching games. Expansion increases inventory (in general but specifically in this context for conference networks) and compelling matchups drive ratings.

That said, you're right, Oklahoma is a comparatively small state, ergo it has comparatively fewer eyeballs and TV sets. Flipside is, there are no pro sports in Oklahoma except a hoops team, OU owns the state and a big chunk of the region including north Texas and is arguably a national brand. If the SEC looks west, Texas is the top potential option out there - no doubt. But given they have their own network and that they don't work and play well with others, it is doubtful they join us (or the Pac12 - which almost happened a few years ago and fell apart over the Longhorn Network). The second best brand is OU. If the SEC was determined to go to 16 schools, I'd bet they make a courtesy call to the Sips and when they demand special treatment, we hang up the phone and add OU.

Now, who comes with OU to get to 16 is going to be a bigger challenge and none of this will happen until the GOR deals in the other conferences expire.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I think Texas A&M likes being the only one out there in the SEC, I believe they would protest the same as I would about F$U or scUM.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
We don't need Oklahoma in the SEC we already have Missouri.
You would trade Mizzo for OU in a heartbeat. Mizzo is a Dumpster fire athletically and in over all social perception. Their stadium is a dump and they really don't add anything to the SEC brand at all.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You would trade Mizzo for OU in a heartbeat. Mizzo is a Dumpster fire athletically and in over all social perception. Their stadium is a dump and they really don't add anything to the SEC brand at all.
Biased? :lol:
Anyway, I agree, OK would be a more high profile program sports-wise. Mizzou's a better academic school and occasionally does well in football and basketball.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mizzou has self-destructed via racial protests and the administration's cowering acquiescence of last year.
Attendance/enrollment is so down (15,000+) they had to close/board-up 2 dormitories and cut back on
maintenance contracts. So much for Mizzou's academic prowess. Alumni are e-mailing that they have
changed their minds and will not allow their kids to go to Mizzou.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe ou is one of the schools who has benefited from recruits who failed to meet UF's admission standards. As for the other SEC schools, well... SOS mentioned something about coloring books a few years ago.

You are correct. There have been several at OU over the years since Stoops arrived. In particular, I remember Lance Mitchell. He was a big time LB that actually moved in on campus before being notified that he did not qualify academically for UF.
He was on his way to OU before sundown. OU joins POSU and Miami in the club of schools that spew academic prowess and then take players that are way below reasonable standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator