OL Brett Heggie update

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
SEC Country is doing updates on the newly enrolling freshman, that are reporting to campus this week. Some interesting tidbits about Heggie. Has some great pedigree (dad played LB at FSU and brother OL at Notre Dame). Has a brother at UF in the Mechanical Engineering program.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-seminole-but-the-fsu-legacy-is-florida-bound

MOUNT DORA, Fla. — Bruce Heggie lost to the Gators in all four games during his playing career at Florida State.

He finally won last summer in Gainesville, Fla., but so did the University of Florida.

Heggie came to Florida’s Friday Night Lights with his son, Brett Heggie. The Under Armour All-American center committed to the Gators at the event, a moment that even made a Seminole smile.

“I’m absolutely ecstatic over his decision to come to UF and be part of their program,” Bruce Heggie said after his son’s commitment on July 24. “They have outstanding academics and athletics. Everything was a good fit for him here.”

Bruce Heggie played linebacker at FSU from 1983-1986 under legendary coach Bobby Bowden. But when it came time for his kids to pick a school, he didn’t steer them toward the Seminoles.

“My dad had no influence as to where I should go,” Brett Heggie said. “He told me to do what’s best for me. He wanted it to be my own decision, so he was extremely happy when I chose Florida.”

It’s not the first time one of Bruce Heggie’s kids has attended UF. His son Ben goes there now as a mechanical engineering student. His oldest child, Bruce Jr., played football at Notre Dame.

Bruce brought Brett to Florida State and Notre Dame games during his childhood. But had the Irish or Seminoles offered his youngest son, the family ties to those teams would’ve hurt them.

“As a little kid, I’d go to Doak (Campbell Stadium) and root for (the Seminoles),” Brett Heggie said. “Then I kind of lived that recruiting process with my brother and went to his games. But when I started getting offers at 15, I wanted to do my own thing.

“My brother went to Notre Dame and my dad went to Florida State, so I decided I wasn’t going to any one one of those teams. That was set in stone very early in my recruitment.”

Heggie fell in love with the coaches and environment at Florida, becoming the most solid member of the 2016 class. He was the first commitment to fax in his letter of intent on signing day.

By then, his father had fully switched sides in the rivalry.

“He played for FSU, but he’s all Gator now,” Heggie said. “I’m staying in the state, going to a top 10 university and playing in the SEC. My parents can come see me because it’s not a far drive, so everything worked out well for him.

“He has two out of his four kids going to Florida now. That’ll make you change to orange and blue.”

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's pretty cool. I didnt realize he had that kind of football pedigree.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
“He has two out of his four kids going to Florida now. That’ll make you change to orange and blue.”

Yeah, well his Dad played for an academically challenged clown college, how could you not change to Orange and Blue?
...sumpin' sumpin' about the sins of the father and all that.
I hope the kid becomes a superstar and eventually plays on Sundays.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite part of that article is the part about McCoy splitting time with the first-team at Center. It'll be a much better year if we don't see Dillard and Riles on the field unless they have improved DRASTICALLY.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Yea I agree
My favorite part of that article is the part about McCoy splitting time with the first-team at Center. It'll be a much better year if we don't see Dillard and Riles on the field unless they have improved DRASTICALLY.
Totally agree I'm still not sold on either one. IDK if jordan can play center but that might be the best option.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any chance we play some of the Freshmen OLinemen for depth and force a Riles transfer?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Any chance we play some of the Freshmen OLinemen for depth and force a Riles transfer?
Well last year our 2nd best linemen was a freshmen. The truth is it goes against the grain to play freshmen on the line, BUT....if it means playing Dillard or Riles I would rather take my chances with one of the young guys at a guard spot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yea I agree

Totally agree I'm still not sold on either one. IDK if jordan can play center but that might be the best option.
I'm optimistic that we will have our best five on the field no matter where they go.

Jordan is a baller. He was our best OL on the field at times last year, despite being a true freshman and sometimes playing like a true freshman. Jordan is one of the top 5 no doubt. I think they didn't want to throw too much on him last year trying to learn the center position.

I won't be surprised if he moves to center with McCoy at guard, or vice versa.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I think the O-line is the key to the team. I do not share the general belief that there will be a huge improvement. If you guys are right, we win the East, but you should explain how, with our losses (starters, etc) such improvement is to be expected. I mean player by player, position by position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree Ancient but I expect OL improvement. It won't be drastic, we won't be in the top half of the SEC even, but we will be more functional I expect. You are right though, we are still two or three years from having a group of mostly redshirt upperclassmen like we should have. The profound neglect of our OL goes back to 2008 or so. It won't be fixed overnight unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator