OL growth

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good write up on the OL and Coach Summers. Summers speaks highly of Sandifer and Harkless:

http://andreu.blogs.gatorsports.com/11292/growth-on-the-o-line/?tc=cr

It has been a much more enjoyable — and a lot less physical — spring for Florida offensive line coach Mike Summers now that he’s got plenty of big, healthy linemen to work with.

He had so few a year ago that the 59-year-old Summers often had to pretend he was a lineman and participate in drills so the offensive line could practice.

“Feels really good because I don’t have to jump in there and be one of the guys in the drill to fill it out. It’s getting really hard for me to get down in there on the 3-techniques,” Summers said. “So, certainly the numbers have made our whole team able to practice differently because we can separate drills now and work with our twos and threes at all the other positions because we have an offensive line to go with that group.

“It’s helped our whole football team having the numbers and now we just have to make the numbers better. All the guys that are in that group just have to continue to get better everyday.”

Jim McElwain replenished Summers’ offensive line through recruiting and transfers. Three of the six linemen signed in the 2015 class ended up starting games last fall — guard/tackle Martez Ivey, center/guard Tyler Jordan and tackle Fred Johnson. The three who redshirted — Nick Buchanan, Brandon Sandifer and Richard Desir-Jones — along with North Carolina State transfer T.J. McCoy now are active and competing for playing time this spring.

Even though Ivey is out for the spring after undergoing shoulder surgery, the Gators are still a solid two-deep on the offensive line.

Now, it’s a matter of coaching up the young guys and getting them ready to contribute in the fall.

“It’s exciting to have those guys now in the group that we’re working with daily. And when you do this, one of the real exciting parts of coaching is watching young guys grow up and mature and understand what this is all about,” Summers said.

“We’re starting to see that from a lot of different guys and so I get motivated. I try to not get discouraged that we don’t get everything exactly right, which we haven’t done yet. But when we get on the right guys and it all looks really good, it’s satisfying. And so I’m really encouraged with those younger guys. I think they’re coming on the way that we want them to.”

Summers seems very high on Sandifer, who is still massive but nowhere near the 360-plus pounds he was when he arrived last summer. There was a point last season when the staff considered pulling the redshirt off him due to depth issues, but he was able to save the year of eligibility and get stronger and slimmer on the scout team.

“Improving,” Summers said of Sandifer. “I think the main thing that he’s been able to do since he’s been here is lose an enormous amount of weight, and that’s certainly helped him with his movement skills and putting himself in the right position. And now, he’s on that same developmental path that those young guys were on last year that got playing time.

“All of the things that our defense is doing now with the movement and the blitzing and all that is happening fast for the first time, and guys are running past him and he’s not really sure what number they had on their jersey. So we’re trying to slow the game down just a little bit.

“When he gets his hands on you, he can move you. He’s got great anchorability and he’s got great fits inside. We’ve just got to complete the package with some experience and a little confidence.”

Summers said Kavaris Harkless is another young lineman who has started to emerge.

“He’s really improved as well,” Summers said. “I’ve been excited watching him come on. He’s been slow developing up to this point. I think this is the first spring where I’ve really started to see him make some strides, which is going to do nothing but help us with depth and give us another guy that we can count on. We try to move these guys around a little bit and give them some experience on different lines to see how they do.”

Unlike last spring, when he had to worry each day if he’d have five healthy linemen to work with, Summers has plenty of players to coach and develop, which is making for a much more enjoyable time on the practice field.

He said he learned from last spring’s experience.

“I learned I really don’t want to be in that position,” he said. “It’s difficult when you are so used to having guys you can count on. Certainly that group that walked out of here the year before were all experienced guys. There is going to be some drop-off. You just hope it isn’t all going to be in one year.

“Now that we’ve gone through it I actually was encouraged with some things that happened last year and saw those guys come together as a group. I know that will do nothing but help us as we go forward.”

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"He had so few a year ago that the 59-year-old Summers often had to pretend he was a lineman and participate in drills so the offensive line could practice."

Thanks Chump. :banghead: Harkless looked good as a true freshman. He had to redshirt because he was way underweight. Since then, he has been awful. I'm not sure why. I'm glad he is gaining confidence and getting back to form. Sandifer is a beast. He just needs to get the mental part of the game down. He has plenty of time to do it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"He had so few a year ago that the 59-year-old Summers often had to pretend he was a lineman and participate in drills so the offensive line could practice."

Thanks Chump. :banghead: Harkless looked good as a true freshman. He had to redshirt because he was way underweight. Since then, he has been awful. I'm not sure why. I'm glad he is gaining confidence and getting back to form. Sandifer is a beast. He just needs to get the mental part of the game down. He has plenty of time to do it.
Harkless is now 307 lbs, but he came in at 255lbs. That kind of weight gain has to take time to get used to.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Don't let Sandifer lose too much weight.....We've got another 340#er coming in the fall, if he can play a lick I'd love to see the 2 of them at guard with Sharpe at one of the tackles and Ivey at the other and Jordan at center. That would have to give us an average of somewhere around 330# on the offensive line. I would love to see us trot out the biggest oline in the country next year.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
This is all fictional and creative writing. Plenty of experts on this board proclaimed Summers to be a horrible coach, so there can't be any truth to this story.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The line can't be any worse than last year, which has to be rock bottom. But even with improvement, it could still be very bad. This is the biggest mystery going into '16, Summers included. We have no idea how good he is, or how good the line will be.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ive seen multiple reports saying the line still looks like hot garbage, so theres that...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think the line will be improved but still struggle at the beginning of the year. By season's end, I think this will be the starting lineup,

LT - Sharpe
LG - Sandifer
C - Dillard
RG - Jordan
RT - Ivey

That's an o-line with a real future with Dillard being replaced with McCoy or Jordan if another young guard steps up.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the line will be improved but still struggle at the beginning of the year. By season's end, I think this will be the starting lineup,

LT - Sharpe
LG - Sandifer
C - Dillard
RG - Jordan
RT - Ivey

That's an o-line with a real future with Dillard being replaced with McCoy or Jordan if another young guard steps up.
I had heard Buchannan was doing well during his RS year, but haven't heard a thing about him this spring.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We really need improvement out of these guys. They are still young and have been forced to play way too young, but we desperately need these guys to at least be functional.

Hopefully we are just two years away from having OLs full of 3rd-5th year players again, like it always should have been, instead of us putting 18-19 year olds out there against 22-23 year olds.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, the hot garbage comments could come from all the new guys getting thrown in there and multiple lines working with different groups. Even Summers admitted the new guys don't completely have it. I'm far more optimistic about the OL. Spring is the time to work it out, let's hope they do.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
i think they'll improve thru the summer, because I think LDR and Appleby will do a good job of organizing practice. Davis, Anzalone and Maye should do the same.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, the hot garbage comments could come from all the new guys getting thrown in there and multiple lines working with different groups. Even Summers admitted the new guys don't completely have it. I'm far more optimistic about the OL. Spring is the time to work it out, let's hope they do.
Hope so, and in previous years id feel the same optimism, but been burned for too long. It's show me time, until then I'm still expecting disappointment.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
No one on this board would have ever guessed you'd feel this way :lol2:
:shocked: In reality I'd be happy enough to see us trot out 5 guys who actually belong on an offensive line in the SEC. Sad as it is we haven't been able to do that in the last 4 or 5 years.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
didn't Denver lead the NFL in rushing for several years with one of the smallest OLs?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
:shocked: In reality I'd be happy enough to see us trot out 5 guys who actually belong on an offensive line in the SEC. Sad as it is we haven't been able to do that in the last 4 or 5 years.

We have more than enough "SEC" OL on our roster...but as Law has pointed out, they are young. We're trotting out 18 & 19 year olds when other schools (who have recruited better/more consistently) are trotting out 4th year redshirt juniors. This year we'll take some lumps...but not like we did last year. We have 19 & 20 year olds playing/starting this year, which is a much better position than we've been in the last 12+ months. There is no doubt the 2016 OL will be better...it's just a matter of how much better? I suspect w/ the combination of better TE blocking, more experienced OL, and much, much, much better QB play the OL as a whole will be significantly better - about mid-pack SEC, and about 3rd best in the SEC East. And - don't call me a pumper - I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 of our OL's be named 3rd team All-SEC!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Have some damn pride in your pushing and shoving attitude... running back rumbles and popping routes... it's all about you, big guys! Just gotta be better than the last several years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2009 2 OL recruits (one was hurt even when we recruited him and never saw the field)
2010 2 OL ( one never saw the field due to injuries the other missed tree years due to injuries and played with one shoulder basically shredded and in great pain because we desperately needed him)
2011 2 OL (one injured and didnt play a significant amount of time)

I understand having a bad year and missing on a guy or two, but you make up for it by signing a juco or signing 6 or 7 the next year, right? How hard is that?

We have had one...One....ONE single full class of OL since then (2015)!!!!! ONE! Anf that class was a desperation class with multiple guys who arent really SEC caliber.

How the hell does that even happen? Is there no one paying attention? Even if our coaches have postconcussion syndrome from their playing days, is no one above them paying attention to the (former) 150 million dollar per year golden egg?

This shiit cake has been in the oven for a long time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator