One wish....to beat FSU

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
If we are to win this game how do y'all think we can pull it off? I know this is a long ways away, but we need to beat FSU this year. I'm tired of them having bragging rights. The makeup of our team will probably change a lot over the course of the season, but right now comparing our team to theirs, how do you think we beat them?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Keep our defense off the field. Whether we do that with a ton of short passes or by being able to sustain a functional running game allowing us to use more of the play book.

The more touches Dalvin Cook gets the more likely they are to stay ahead or even pull away just like the last 2 years.

If their receivers have progressed along with Maguire at QB we could be in for a long night.

Their defense will be stout if not outstanding. Trying to heave the ball downfield repeatedly WITHOUT establishing a short ball control passing game and keeping the LBer's and Safety's off the LOS would result in nothing more than a sack fest like last year. If they bite on the short game then sure, take a shot, but DO NOT WASTE down after down for something that probably won't work more than once at most.

Get the RB's involved with a few screens and check downs, Scarlett can do some damage after the catch especially if he gets a block or shakes a tackle when they start to crowd. And for the love of God use some misdirection in the running game.

We won't be able to over power them from start to finish so I'd say stay away from a lot of straight ahead power stuff early until we start seeing some hands on hips, and yes it hurts me to say that, but the reality is unless they come in banged up on the defensive line we don't have the balls for that yet.....

On defense I would play it safe. 4 man fronts and SOLID gap control is a must!!! There is no sense blitzing a high percentage of the time because if they check down to Cook it's nighty night time. Them countering an occasion 8 yard sack with a 40 yard screen pass to Cook is just counter productive. I would make them earn every damned yard they get by playing straight up conventional defense.

I know I'll catch some flack for saying this but lastly do not take a lot of chances by going for it on 4th and short on their side of the field, we should have a kicker this year. We left 12 points on the field last year by not being able to kick a FG. Take the points. No fake kicks, all that will do is fire up their home crowd even more. Play it safe on 3rd and long because their athlete's can turn a mistake into 6 points and change momentum in a heartbeat. Take a page out of the 2012 game....bore them to death if you have to but don't let their explosive athlete's win the game because of 4 or 5 outstanding plays. Unlike 2012 we HAVE WR's and a sound offensive scheme with a viable short passing game.....use it. If the running game opens up stay with it until you can take 1 or maybe 2 shots. Not the prettiest way to win a game but none of their wins in the last 6 years have been things of beauty either.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Keep our defense off the field. Whether we do that with a ton of short passes or by being able to sustain a functional running game allowing us to use more of the play book. The more touches Dalvin Cook gets the more likely they are to stay ahead or even pull away just like the last 2 years. If their receivers have progressed along with Maguire at QB we could be in for a long night. Their defense will be stout if not outstanding. Trying to heave the ball downfield repeatedly WITHOUT establishing a short ball control passing game and keeping the LBer's and Safety's off the LOS would result in nothing more than a sack fest like last year. If they bite on the short game then sure, take a shot, but DO NOT WASTE down after down for something that probably won't work more than once at most. Get the RB's involved with a few screens and check downs, Scarlett can do some damage after the catch especially if he gets a block or shakes a tackle when they start to crowd. And for the love of God use some misdirection in the running game.
We won't be able to over power them from start to finish so I'd say stay away from a lot of straight ahead power stuff early until we start seeing some hands on hips, and yes it hurts me to say that, but the reality is unless they come in banged up on the defensive line we don't have the balls for that yet.....
On defense I would play it safe. 4 man fronts and SOLID gap control is a must!!! There is no sense blitzing a high percentage of the time because if they check down to Cook it's nighty night time. Them countering an occasion 8 yard sack with a 40 yard screen pass to Cook is just counter productive. I would make them earn every damned yard they get by playing straight up conventional defense.
I know I'll catch some flack for saying this but lastly do not take a lot of chances by going for it on 4th and short on their side of the field, we should have a kicker this year. We left 12 points on the field last year by not being able to kick a FG. Take the points. No fake kicks, all that will do is fire up their home crowd even more. Play it safe on 3rd and long because their athlete's can turn a mistake into 6 points and change momentum in a heartbeat. Take a page out of the 2012 game....bore them to death if you have to but don't let their explosive athlete's win the game because of 4 or 5 outstanding plays. Unlike 2012 we HAVE WR's and a sound offensive scheme with a viable short passing game.....use it. If the running game opens up stay with it until you can take 1 or maybe 2 shots. Not the prettiest way to win a game but none of their wins in the last 6 years have been things of beauty either.
Paragraphs bro, paragraphs.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Too many unknowns at this point. It's impossible to determine either passing game based on the fact it looks like neither QB has thrown a pass in a collegiate game.
Of course i'm going with the thought process that Francois is their guy, but that appears to be undetermined at this point. You have to think the loss of Ramsey gives
there secondary a hit. While the return of Walker and emergence of Sweat gives them a good pass rush. To beat a team like this obviously running the ball well is a must.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If our starting QB in that game is the same as the first game of the year, then we have a chance. That said, the defense needs to contain Cook. If we can slow him down then I believe our defense will do well enough against the pass to limit their scoring and allow the offense to score enough. If Cook has a big game, then we're in trouble.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One wish!!! to beat the damn girls school.....oh, how the mighty Gators have fallen...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Keep our defense off the field. Whether we do that with a ton of short passes or by being able to sustain a functional running game allowing us to use more of the play book.

The more touches Dalvin Cook gets the more likely they are to stay ahead or even pull away just like the last 2 years.

If their receivers have progressed along with Maguire at QB we could be in for a long night.

Their defense will be stout if not outstanding. Trying to heave the ball downfield repeatedly WITHOUT establishing a short ball control passing game and keeping the LBer's and Safety's off the LOS would result in nothing more than a sack fest like last year. If they bite on the short game then sure, take a shot, but DO NOT WASTE down after down for something that probably won't work more than once at most.

Get the RB's involved with a few screens and check downs, Scarlett can do some damage after the catch especially if he gets a block or shakes a tackle when they start to crowd. And for the love of God use some misdirection in the running game.

So, you approve of a 1950s football game plan, as always. Shocking.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Stop Cook, Play D, and no Treon we win.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
.....That said, the defense needs to contain Cook..... If Cook has a big game, then we're in trouble.

Seems like the D did a pretty good job containing Cook for 2 1/2 quarters last year. Mid way through the 3rd he started coming alive and then he just broke out back in the 4th quarter.

Again, that falls on the offense. The D can only contain a weapon like that so much. We have to have a functioning offense or all the talk about containing Cook is pointless...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dang looking at the stats you would think that UF - FSU game last season would have been really close. They only had like 40 yards total more than us and their 3rd down conversion rate was worse than ours. Turnovers weren't really an issue for either team. We had the ball 5 minutes longer than they did and ran like 20 more plays than they did. The main difference was Cook getting those 2 long TD runs later in the game and the fact we never did anything with the ball as far as scoring. lol

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Take away the safety net and the trapeze artists will freeze up and not be able to perform.
Throw peanuts at the elephants and they will stampede.
Squirt fizzy water in the clowns faces before they can do the same to us.
Don't forget to remove the bolts from the lions ring so they can rampage and kill the audience.
Ooh. Ooh. Ooh. What about greasing the high wire. Almost forgot that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For 2.5 quarters we stopped Cook played D, but we had Treon.
Treon
For 2.5 quarters we stopped Cook played D, but we had Treon.

Treon's stats really weren't much different than Maguire's except for that 1 yard TD pass Maguire had. Maguire was actually held to a pretty bad game but of course our offense was even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator