Other games -- Franklin, Fickell, Riley, et al

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Watching SEC Football Final. Did anyone else see the Cocks QB get sandwiched sacked by two linemen and get knocked the fuk out cold, flat on his back arms and legs splayed out, and they sent him back out there to finish the game?
No. But I heard them talking like we had a chance.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
No. But I heard them talking like we had a chance.
I don’t think even Mullen can lose to USCe. Then again, we’re talking about Dooshy Dan here.

Wait, vs who? No chance vs the Dwags. USCe maybe.

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I
Not this year. Buncha slow white guys that almost lost to FSU.
UCF claimed a national title by beating an un-interested Auburn. That's how pretenders get their cred.
UCF Definitely pretenders, agreed.
They beat Auburn in a meaningless bowl game.

They never had any kind of success, when the games count. Just more of beating weak teams.

Cincinnati is not some powerhouse, definitely doesn’t deserve to be ranked #2 in the country.
They have the one signature win.
You can discount Notre Dame but, they do have top ten talent. They are a storied program with Tons of history and their stadium is a fantastic college football venue.
Cincy beating them with little drama, is s signature win for Cincy.

Still , Last night may have ruined their shot to get to the playoff.

But I’m more interested in a coach that takes 2 and 3 star talent to the brink of the playoffs.

We aren’t hiring a new coach this week.

I just think Fickell has done enough at Cincy to get a head coaching gig at a Power 5 school.
I don’t think there is a coach in the entire country that’s doing more with less, right now.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just think Fickell has done enough at Cincy to get a head coaching gig at a Power 5 school.
He's certainly done enough that he'll get a shot at a P5 school.

My issues with Fickell are that he's a defense guy and an Ohio guy. He is from Columbus, he played for Ohio State, 16 of his 22 years as a coach were at Ohio State, and his other 2 stops were Dayton and Cincinnati, both in Ohio. Hell he met his wife at Ohio State.

If he does end up successful at a P5 program, he gone the minute OSU comes calling.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
He's certainly done enough that he'll get a shot at a P5 school.

My issues with Fickell are that he's a defense guy and an Ohio guy. He is from Columbus, he played for Ohio State, 16 of his 22 years as a coach were at Ohio State, and his other 2 stops were Dayton and Cincinnati, both in Ohio. Hell he met his wife at Ohio State.

If he does end up successful at a P5 program, he gone the minute OSU comes calling.

OSU had 2 chances at Fickell. He was Interim HC when Tressel was fired. They then had a chance when Leyer was basically fired and they passed. maybe you are correct and 3rd time is a charm?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OSU had 2 chances at Fickell. He was Interim HC when Tressel was fired. They then had a chance when Leyer was basically fired and they passed. maybe you are correct and 3rd time is a charm?
When OSU fired urbs, Fickell's record was shiitting the bed his 1 season at OSU and a bad first year at Cincinnati.

If he has a lot of success at a real program they might have different thoughts.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
When OSU fired urbs, Fickell's record was shiitting the bed his 1 season at OSU and a bad first year at Cincinnati.

If he has a lot of success at a real program they might have different thoughts.
All true.

Would you rather take a chance on a Coordinator from the NFL or even college ranks with absolutely NO head coaching experience, Or a proven head coach at a lesser type program that has done a lot with less?

I just cant believe the reach here that all of this seems to hinge on his ONE season as INTERIM.
What other college program in the country would keep an Interim Head coach as the head coach when Urban wants to come back home?
Can't judge Fickell for that. Plus, His one season as Interim was after Tressell was fired with 5 games left in the prior season, the entire program was in Disarray.

I'm just throwing it out there, advocating for a head coach that can do more with less, Proven fact.
I like his teams, I like his style, I like his program....at the current level said program resides. Maybe it would translate, maybe it wouldn't.

The board seems to be more interested in a FN coordinator that's never had a head coaching gig to learn the ropes at Florida.
Whomever ends up being the coach, I'll support that coach until he ****s the bed, Like Mullen has.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
All true.

Would you rather take a chance on a Coordinator from the NFL or even college ranks with absolutely NO head coaching experience, Or a proven head coach at a lesser type program that has done a lot with less?

I just cant believe the reach here that all of this seems to hinge on his ONE season as INTERIM.
What other college program in the country would keep an Interim Head coach as the head coach when Urban wants to come back home?
Can't judge Fickell for that. Plus, His one season as Interim was after Tressell was fired with 5 games left in the prior season, the entire program was in Disarray.

I'm just throwing it out there, advocating for a head coach that can do more with less, Proven fact.
I like his teams, I like his style, I like his program....at the current level said program resides. Maybe it would translate, maybe it wouldn't.

The board seems to be more interested in a FN coordinator that's never had a head coaching gig to learn the ropes at Florida.
Whomever ends up being the coach, I'll support that coach until he ****s the bed, Like Mullen has.

I don't disagree with you, but to say Cincy is doing more with less may not be totally correct. given their conference, they have much more athletic talent than most of their opponents. Much of that is due to recruiting and coaching, but also the transfer portal. Before UofL went to the ACC, them, Cincy, USF,, etc. were great landing spots for many highly recruited players where it might now have worked out for some reason at a P5 school.

In regards to learning at a smaller school and having success vs. hiring an asst. without HC experience, I differ a bit in that a coach either has it or not regarding very important things. I mean the Dazzler has been a HC for years and could not manage 10 seconds of a game at the end. Regarding UC, did you see how they completely botched the receiving of on onside kick at the end of the game, thus giving Navy a chance? You need not have ever been a HC to know how to properly receive an onside kick. I am not using one happening to be for or against a guy, but there are so many important attributes of being a HC that are innate and will never be learned.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I don't disagree with you, but to say Cincy is doing more with less may not be totally correct. given their conference, they have much more athletic talent than most of their opponents. Much of that is due to recruiting and coaching, but also the transfer portal. Before UofL went to the ACC, them, Cincy, USF,, etc. were great landing spots for many highly recruited players where it might now have worked out for some reason at a P5 school.

In regards to learning at a smaller school and having success vs. hiring an asst. without HC experience, I differ a bit in that a coach either has it or not regarding very important things. I mean the Dazzler has been a HC for years and could not manage 10 seconds of a game at the end. Regarding UC, did you see how they completely botched the receiving of on onside kick at the end of the game, thus giving Navy a chance? You need not have ever been a HC to know how to properly receive an onside kick. I am not using one happening to be for or against a guy, but there are so many important attributes of being a HC that are innate and will never be learned.

Fickell caught my attention with the way way they played Ga in the bowl game. Competitive on the LOS on both sides of the ball. Good skill players, good game plan.

Perhaps I should have said, "Successful head coach at a lesser program".
Throwing out the Dazzler makes me think you may have missed that point?
Yes, I thought bad coaching yesterday, watching the onside kick. The two up guys blocked down and no one ever stepped up to get the damned ball.

I do disagree with you about talent and doing more with less. Admittedly, I haven't checked recruiting rankings for all the teams in the AAC but, those schools are indeed landing spots for talented players that don't have the recognition or especially, the GRADES, to get them into a power 5 school. That's not just Cincy either.
To me, Less with more hinges on the fact Cincy has been competitive with power 5 schools for the last two or three seasons.
If I'm being honest, I'll just say, I was waiting for a breakout game, a win against a traditional power 5 program , In the regular season, to sort of set them apart from the likes of UCF and Memphis/SMU.

I'll be watching Cincy from here on with more interest.
Again, If they make the playoff and are competitive, I would be in his corner.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Only few openly declaring who they want and a whole bunch just tearing apart their suggestions.

I think the only real consensus has been Riley who most feel we have no chance to get.

So who is the one guy you really want and feel we actually have a shot at?

I’ve talked about 3 but right now I honestly would go after Kiffen. (1) I think he would jump at it. (2) He would recruit this state aggressively. (3) He would pile up points with an offense that most closely resembles Spurrier.

But rather than rip apart mine….tell me your guy.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The more I watch Ole Miss the more I like Kiffen as well. We all know he's a piece of shyt and probably wouldn't last 3 or 4 years before doing something stupid but the fucher can call an offense. Imagine what he could do with AR15 and he'd lock down the offensive talent in the state of Florida. Also I think he'd probably jump at the chance to come to UF for nothing else then to say fuch you to the Reaves family. Kiffen or Freeze as head coaches along with Jim Leonhard or DJ Durkin as D Coordinator would probably be my first calls.

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Only few openly declaring who they want and a whole bunch just tearing apart their suggestions.

I think the only real consensus has been Riley who most feel we have no chance to get.

So who is the one guy you really want and feel we actually have a shot at?

I’ve talked about 3 but right now I honestly would go after Kiffen. (1) I think he would jump at it. (2) He would recruit this state aggressively. (3) He would pile up points with an offense that most closely resembles Spurrier.

But rather than rip apart mine….tell me your guy.
Yep, Easy to criticize others choices while throwing out nothing of substance for their own.

I could definitely get behind Kiffen.

Hell, look what his defense did to the same LSU team, that shredded our asses last week, yesterday.

Kiffen has grown, he’s more mature yet, still very young.
He knows football and I agree, would recruit his ass off at Florida.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Yes. I'd take a chance on Joe Brady or even Brian Johnson over him in a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with the season as interim. It has to do with the fact Fickell has spent his entire life minus one year in the state of Ohio, his mentor is Jim Tressel, and he bleeds gray and red or whatever the OSU colors are.

You hire him and it's really a lose lose scenario. If he fails you've hired another failure, and if he's successful you're praying OSU makes the CFP every year and doesn't come steal your coach. I can handle a coach bolting for the NFL, but I'd prefer not to be a laughing stock like tenerc when Kiffy spurned them for USC.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
Forrest Gump's offense was shut out in the first half against a 40 point underdog. Perhaps he played too much ping pong the night before and didn't get enough sleep?

Do we really want Riley? How many Heisman QBs does he need to acquire before he can win a Championship? It's easy to look good when you always have a great QB on the field, yet he really has nothing to show for it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I

UCF Definitely pretenders, agreed.
They beat Auburn in a meaningless bowl game.

They never had any kind of success, when the games count. Just more of beating weak teams.

Cincinnati is not some powerhouse, definitely doesn’t deserve to be ranked #2 in the country.
They have the one signature win.
You can discount Notre Dame but, they do have top ten talent. They are a storied program with Tons of history and their stadium is a fantastic college football venue.
Cincy beating them with little drama, is s signature win for Cincy.

Still , Last night may have ruined their shot to get to the playoff.

But I’m more interested in a coach that takes 2 and 3 star talent to the brink of the playoffs.

We aren’t hiring a new coach this week.

I don’t think there is a coach in the entire country that’s doing more with less, right now.

Fickell has taken 2/3* talent and beat other 2/3* talent. Somebody has to be atop the AAC. Houston, UCF, now Cincy.
The only reason they are on the verge of the payoffs is that the pollsters like to keep things interesting so they pick one Cinderella team to get ganged raped at the end of the season.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Fickell has taken 2/3* talent and beat other 2/3* talent. Somebody has to be atop the AAC. Houston, UCF, now Cincy.
The only reason they are on the verge of the payoffs is that the pollsters like to keep things interesting so they pick one Cinderella team to get ganged raped at the end of the season.
Except for Notre Dame AT Notre Dame.
As I said previously, looking for that break through win. They got it at ND.

Cincy recruiting currently at 27th on Rivals.
Doing more with less.

I don’t disagree all that much with the pollsters and the “Cinderella” crap but, isn’t that the role ND has played in the last few years?

Pollsters keep them in there for the playoff?

Regardless, this will all play out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator