Patch up the Oline and we are fine

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We had penalties but no turnovers.
The weather was not the best.
I still think we are better than it appeared.
Good coaches remember fans that
complain when you win, especially when
they are offered another coaching position
with another school. I say we got a good
coach and time will prove it. All of you
complainers please don't apply for JF's
job. Talking about firing coach Mac now
would send a message to a potential
new coach to stay away from this place.
Appreciate the 'W' and give the man
alittle slack.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why is nuss getting the blame? None of you guys were blaming durkin when muschamps d was getting burned.
Mac wasn't calling the plays, but he does deserve some of the blame for allowing this game to be treated like another practice.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac wasn't calling the plays, but he does deserve some of the blame for allowing this game to be treated like another practice.
You don't think mac was telling him to call pass plays?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Sure seems like we approached this more like a preseason scrimmage/jamboree than a real game against a real opponent. Should have at least respected Whipple as being a good offensive coach.

If the play-calling is what we can expect if the OC is on the side-lines instead of in the box as normal, I vote to call that experiment DONE.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Approached this as a preseason game? Heck we were well into the 4th quarter with a chance to still lose this game. We didnt even get to bring our 2nd string QB out when the plan was to get 3 QBs reps but we did this on purpose. lol

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

That's why I said he deserves some of the blame, but Nuss' play selection was very poor. The 4th and 1 play choice was dumb. On 3rd and long, they always lined up with 5-wide, so UMASS would blitz 6 guys every time to disrupt the play. The only deep shot we took was the first play, and it doesn't make sense that we didn't try something like that later because the play would've worked if it wasn't overthrown by 1 yard.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To the OP, who exactly do you think is going to patch up the OL? This is Summer's third year and he does not appear to the be up to the task.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
To the OP, who exactly do you think is going to patch up the OL? This is Summer's third year and he does not appear to the be up to the task.

First year he did a fine job. Second year he had nothing to work with. This year we have bodies but they are young.

Part of this is his fault for being a horrid recruiter and not getting his guys ready to play. Never said he WILL turn it around (though it's only 1 game) just said that if we do we will be fine

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, I disagree with your assessment that he did fine in year one. We had four OL drafted by the NFL and our OL was Average at best.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At least we are DBU!!!! Did you enjoy watching our beautiful safety and cb play, again?

Ha. Saturday, I enjoyed the Gator Nation fete of SOS and his turn as Mr. Two Bits - as much as I could see, anyway. I enjoyed literally nothing else.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Outside those 4 what did we have?
How many more NFL ready OL do you need? Many teams don't have one OL get drafted. And, isn't it Summers job to pick the riighr blocking scheme and, teach the OL on the team that scheme? Too many excuses for lack of execution of oaching duties along with piss poor recuitng of OL.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many more NFL ready OL do you need? Many teams don't have one OL get drafted. And, isn't it Summers job to pick the riighr blocking scheme and, teach the OL on the team that scheme? Too many excuses for lack of execution of oaching duties along with piss poor recuitng of OL.
You need 5 on a squad and you really need 2 sets. Not any necessarily nfl. Just big, strong, smart, and close enough to operate as a squad. A guard playing as a tackle can be worthless. Agree fully on recruiting but that river was crossed 4+ years ago and we are just now getting out of it.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You need 5 on a squad and you really need 2 sets. Not any necessarily nfl. Just big, strong, smart, and close enough to operate as a squad. A guard playing as a tackle can be worthless. Agree fully on recruiting but that river was crossed 4+ years ago and we are just now getting out of it.
I agree we need a starting five and ideally two lines ready to play but, it is Summers job to do that and 4 & 5 star OL kids don't want to play for him... What is the message there?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Watching the 2nd half of the game the O line settled down some and Del Rio got about the same amount of time to throw as most QBs get in the SEC. I guess on some of the plays the WRs just weren't getting separation

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Yes, Umess couldn't stop the run. But coaches decided to abandon the run and Mark Thompson who was running all over them.

Sharpe was stoning their defenders all night. Del Rio doesn't have the arm to be throwing 15 yard sideline passes. He was consistently behind receivers and throwing it in the dirt. They should have been running the ball.

Agreed. If we rushed 44 times we would have score 40+.

Somebody in chat last night said the coaches treated this like a scrimmage. I would say that's what it looked like. The play calling was a joke. They consistently went against what was working. It looked like they were just going through their play book randomly calling pass plays. The coaches didn't seem to take this game seriously until the 4th qtr. Then they decided to run the ball and go ahead and win the game. The first 3 qtrs. We're poor coaching. The players were playing well.

I didn't specifically see Ivey get beat. As a whole the line looked to protect well and create a pocket and time for Del Rio. Either the plays were slow developing or he was slow in his decision making. Sure, there were times when he got pressure. Every game has some. But the coaches didn't help him out any by running first to set up the pass. UMass seemed to be play pass all night and we obliged.
These were some of my comments last week. *Loved seeing all the panic in this thread. :p

Btw, we ran the ball 50 times this week and look how different the results were. Last night is more indicative of who we are, not the team we were against UMass. The coaches botched that 1st game. LDR is a good game manager and knows where to go with the ball most of the time. He doesn't have elite arm talent and miss fires occasionally but for the most part he's going to get the job done.

Our OLine is much improved over last year and they will continue toi get better the more they play together.

Our formula for winning is to run the ball. I'm still confused as to who our starting RB is. Apparently Perine is who the coaches think is best based on the amount of carries he got and because they consistently sat Thompson, (who they started). I think any of the 4 backs are good.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
These were some of my comments last week. *Loved seeing all the panic in this thread. :p

Btw, we ran the ball 50 times this week and look how different the results were. Last night is more indicative of who we are, not the team we were against UMass. The coaches botched that 1st game. LDR is a good game manager and knows where to go with the ball most of the time. He doesn't have elite arm talent and miss fires occasionally but for the most part he's going to get the job done.

Our OLine is much improved over last year and they will continue toi get better the more they play together.

Our formula for winning is to run the ball. I'm still confused as to who our starting RB is. Apparently Perine is who the coaches think is best based on the amount of carries he got and because they consistently sat Thompson, (who they started). I think any of the 4 backs are good.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous when we get to the good SEC defenses is our RBs only averaged 5 yards a carry against that weak front of KY even rushing it that many times. Their offense doing absolutely nothing helped out some also. That upcoming TN game will tell us what our running game is really made of this season.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

That 1st game was on the coaches completely. Players were playing hard but they were put in some bad scenarios.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The only thing that makes me a little nervous when we get to the good SEC defenses is our RBs only averaged 5 yards a carry against that weak front of KY even rushing it that many times. Their offense doing absolutely nothing helped out some also. That upcoming TN game will tell us what our running game is really made of this season.
The Oline is still developing. They are 2 true soph's, a true freshman and a couple of Jr's. They are very young and not very consistent but I think they'll get better as the season wears on.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Thread title is on the money.

Replacing Fred with Jawaan was huge IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics