Phil Steele put out HIS top 30: UF #9

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There will still be a ton of excuses if this offense fails again....

But I agree w/ you. This is HIS team. He's filled the holes how he's felt appropriate and these QBs are "his" 100%.

The funny thing is...I consider this a rebuilding year especially on defense. Anyone expecting ATL or more has a serious mental illness. My hope was for Franks to take the reigns and our offense be prolific while the D catches up. 8-4/9-3 is the ceiling. I am resigned that Mac gets a 4th year so my hope(outside of Fields long term) is that Mac rights the ship on offense and our d starts to gel late in the year. We went so hard after Zaire that...well...I guess we'll just wait and see.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The funny thing is...I consider this a rebuilding year especially on defense. Anyone expecting ATL or more has a serious mental illness. My hope was for Franks to take the reigns and our offense be prolific while the D catches up. 8-4/9-3 is the ceiling. I am resigned that Mac gets a 4th year so my hope(outside of Fields long term) is that Mac rights the ship on offense and our d starts to gel late in the year. We went so hard after Zaire that...well...I guess we'll just wait and see.

Well, I don't think anyone will disagree it's a rebuild on the Defense (although we have some solid pieces in place and plenty of players on D who have made at least 1 career start, and a lot of quality playing time). My comment was toward the offense. If the offense fails, again, I expect to see a multitude of excuses. I do agree he gets another year unless he goes 3-9 or something unprecedented. I'm in the Franks camp as well. I hope he wins the jobs, takes a few lumps and learns....and in 2018 we expect to see a more competitive team. I'm just tired of the offense looking like sh*t.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I don't think anyone will disagree it's a rebuild on the Defense (although we have some solid pieces in place and plenty of players on D who have made at least 1 career start, and a lot of quality playing time). My comment was toward the offense. If the offense fails, again, I expect to see a multitude of excuses. I do agree he gets another year unless he goes 3-9 or something unprecedented. I'm in the Franks camp as well. I hope he wins the jobs, takes a few lumps and learns....and in 2018 we expect to see a more competitive team. I'm just tired of the offense looking like sh*t.

I keep hearing about these kids that got playing time...you mean the ones that gave up 400 yds/game to LSU/FSU/Bama? They played well? We were outclassed at the end of the year again. Iowa sucks.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I keep hearing about these kids that got playing time...you mean the ones that gave up 400 yds/game to LSU/FSU/Bama? They played well? We were outclassed at the end of the year again. Iowa sucks.

Dude, c'mon. Our 2007 Defense got torched and came back to win the NC in 2008. We had freshman all over the field: 3 LB's (Reese, Joseph, and Johnson) all got at least one start and plenty of playing time. NONE of them are considered "returning" starters. Gardner, the MVP of the bowl game, is not considered a returning starter. Both Clark & Bryan made starts last year.....and are not "returning starters". CeCe Jefferson is NOT a returning starter (Sherit was the starter), yet he made several starts. Zuniga is not a returning starter (Cox was the starter). So, THAT is who I'm talking about. That's a good list of quality players that are coming back.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, c'mon. Our 2007 Defense got torched and came back to win the NC in 2008. We had freshman all over the field: 3 LB's (Reese, Joseph, and Johnson) all got at least one start and plenty of playing time. NONE of them are considered "returning" starters. Gardner, the MVP of the bowl game, is not considered a returning starter. Both Clark & Bryan made starts last year.....and are not "returning starters". CeCe Jefferson is NOT a returning starter (Sherit was the starter), yet he made several starts. Zuniga is not a returning starter (Cox was the starter). So, THAT is who I'm talking about. That's a good list of quality players that are coming back.

My god...so the following year...2008...let me read you the names on that defense...Joe Haden, Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap, Major Wright, Jermaine Cunningham, Lawrence Marsh(underrated), Will Hill, Ahmed Black, etc etc.

Uhhhh...do you see guys like above waiting in the wings? Come on dude...

This **** is messed up.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My god...so the following year...2008...let me read you the names on that defense...Joe Haden, Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Spikes, Carlos Dunlap, Major Wright, Jermaine Cunningham, Lawrence Marsh(underrated), Will Hill, Ahmed Black, etc etc.

Uhhhh...do you see guys like above waiting in the wings? Come on dude...

This **** is messed up.

I wasn't saying we're going to win an NC. I was saying that players improve from one year to the next. If you expect all of those players I listed to come in this year at the exact same level they played at next year you're crazy. Of course I know the 2008 team had a ton of talent....and it's easy as hell to sit here now and say what you're saying. But you're are also implying that these same kids (mostly freshman and sophomores) are not going to improve this year. So what is it? Will the 2016 players be more ready, more mature, play better in 2017?? I think they will....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What excuses could there be? I don't care if it's Zaire/Franks/Trask/Toney or even LDR. No excuses for the offense.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What excuses could there be? I don't care if it's Zaire/Franks/Trask/Toney or even LDR. No excuses for the offense.

The same ones:
- It's Muschamp's fault
- He needs 6 years to build relationships so we can recruit better
- It's the QBs fault
- Nussmeir shouldn't have been retained (those making excuses for McElwain)
- It's everyone's fault but McElwain
- Etc, etc, etc....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't saying we're going to win an NC. I was saying that players improve from one year to the next. If you expect all of those players I listed to come in this year at the exact same level they played at next year you're crazy. Of course I know the 2008 team had a ton of talent....and it's easy as hell to sit here now and say what you're saying. But you're are also implying that these same kids (mostly freshman and sophomores) are not going to improve this year. So what is it? Will the 2016 players be more ready, more mature, play better in 2017?? I think they will....

Huh? You think a couple games prepared them for a whole season? Holy crap...back in Meyer's day we used to get the younger guys MAJOR PT and guess what...they would still struggle the next year. I'm not even being negative...just realistic based on years and years of data. You are looking for an anomaly...just because? Sorry I don't play the "homer" game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line...if you think there;s is going to be little or no drop off...you're smoking Gator crack.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Is Phil Steele biased against Grier or something? West Virginia not in his top 30 while they make the top 25 of most polls I have seen. They were an Oklahoma win away from winning the Big 12 last season.
Winning the Big 12 is like winning the SECE. Doesn't mean much.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The same ones:
- It's Muschamp's fault
- He needs 6 years to build relationships so we can recruit better
- It's the QBs fault
- Nussmeir shouldn't have been retained (those making excuses for McElwain)
- It's everyone's fault but McElwain
- Etc, etc, etc....

What was true in 2015 or 2016 isn't true in 2017. A lot of problems WERE Chump's fault but that no longer holds water. It does take a while to build relationships - a year or two not six. We HAVE had sub-sh1t QB's but in 2017 someone better be ready. And Nuss, well that's his job. He gets one more season to save his ass.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Bottom line...if you think there;s is going to be little or no drop off...you're smoking Gator crack.

Please qoute where I said there'd be no drop off. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for you to find the qoute.....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Please qoute where I said there'd be no drop off. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for you to find the qoute.....

Well my bad...you were saying something about improvement. Sorry. I'll pull a trick from URGs deck...where do you think the D will rank overall? Thanks in advance.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Bmf is right about the excuses. It will be that lots of ultimately successful qb's took until their junior year to blossom. That one has already been floated on here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I hate muschump as much as the next guy but he did recruit well on defense.

Quick question for all the football minds out there...which side of the football keeps you in games more than the other...offense or defense?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I could see it taking until 2018 for the light bulb to go off in Franks' head. Assuming there's a light bulb.... and a switch... and a battery in there.
But it's still no excuse for 2017. There are enough options at QB and play makers on offense that there better be a significant improvement in production.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Since Zaire was just cleared recently to transfer here, should we guess that he made this prediction thinking Franks would be the starter?

... or do you think he reads GC and knew the rule would be changed and Zaire was a GATOR all along?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I hate muschump as much as the next guy but he did recruit well on defense.

Quick question for all the football minds out there...which side of the football keeps you in games more than the other...offense or defense?
I'll take the Spurrier model over the Chump model, thank you. Just score more than the defense gives up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.