Polite: Left too early?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Polite working to change NFL's perception formed at league's Combine - GatorSports.com

So he made these mistakes:

Was not properly prepared for interviews. Surely someone should and could have prepared him with mock interviews.

Gained weight and got out of shape. Foolish.

Does not watch film??? How can that even be possible.

He thinks he can repair this, but I doubt that is possible.

Left too early and unprepared, that is my opinion.

Comment as you desire.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Left too early? As far as draft position goes? No. He was listed as a top 20 pick. The way he's handled things since leaving UF are what has tanked his draft stock. He obviously wasn't mature enough as a person to be leaving. I really do wonder what the coaching staff had to put up with from him.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Left too early? As far as draft position goes? No. He was listed as a top 20 pick. The way he's handled things since leaving UF are what has tanked his draft stock. He obviously wasn't mature enough as a person to be leaving. I really do wonder what the coaching staff had to put up with from him.
Do you think it was a surprise to the staff and they didn't help prepare him? OR was his just as dumb and immature this past year w/ the new staff? I'm not taking anything he did with the previous staff under consideration.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Do you think it was a surprise to the staff and they didn't help prepare him? OR was his just as dumb and immature this past year w/ the new staff? I'm not taking anything he did with the previous staff under consideration.

As far as draft prep goes, I assume that is the responsibility of his agent. Draft experts reported he had serious character issues but were quick to say this wasn't related to criminal acts like Scarlett. I asked The Athletic's Dane Brugler. He told me Polite was described as a man-child. Obviously, that wasn't meant in a good way. At the combine, he was accused of faking an injury to get out of workouts. Those kind of accusations are rare. Since this is recent, I think the new staff probably dealt with the same BS but it never got out. It was told to teams by the current staff.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No chance I take this guy in the first round. Too many intangibles at risk.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
One of Son #1’s roommates new him pretty well. Say’s that pre-Mullen era, dude smoked a lottttttta weed, but had a lot more structure last year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Polite working to change NFL's perception formed at league's Combine - GatorSports.com

So he made these mistakes:

Was not properly prepared for interviews. Surely someone should and could have prepared him with mock interviews.

Gained weight and got out of shape. Foolish.

Does not watch film??? How can that even be possible.

He thinks he can repair this, but I doubt that is possible.

Left too early and unprepared, that is my opinion.

Comment as you desire.

Gosh, a residue of McTraining. Go forth and prosper, young man.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Some say he improved his numbers today, maybe not enough to go in the first round. Still he should be a Millionaire this time next year.
Hopefully his agent isn't Tank Black.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Those extra 16 lbs. don't wear well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Jachai Polite | NFL.com

Strengths
  • Pass-rush attack is instinctive and diverse
  • Blazing get-off sets the table for success
  • Fluid movement with loose hips and fast feet
  • Bendy and flexible to flip his hips and trim the edge
  • Able to stack rush moves on top of each other to build momentum
  • Explosive burst to finish the quarterback
  • Deft transition from speed rush into long-arm stab counter
  • Spin move is lurking as unstoppable weapon with work
  • Intimidating closing burst in pursuit of the ball
  • Athletic ability to sink and shift directions to as tackler
  • Pursuit speed is impressive
  • Really fast when chasing the rock
  • Ability to slip blocks and access edge in run game
  • No fear in mixing it up at point of attack
Weaknesses
  • Dropped weight for added quickness but lost some strength
  • Needs to hit the weights and the steaks for NFL mass
  • Might need to begin career as designated rusher only
  • Ducks head into initial contact
  • Not a thumper when plugging pulling guards
  • Swallowed by tacklers with strong grips
  • Below-average strength to shed and tackle
  • Needs to add more pop in his hands
  • Drag-down tackler
  • Hands lack power to chop/swipe and deaden the edge
  • Struggles to fight through redirection at the turn
  • Scouts are concerned about maturity and character

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Left too early is a reference to being not mature and educated about how the process would go. Surely someone at UF knows that, after all we have a coach with NFL experience. Now if he was a pest and would not listen then good riddens.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Thaaaaat’s not good.

I had kinda wished he stayed as he caused a lot of problems for opposing O-lines, but I also saw a few things that made me wonder if he was a headache for the coaching staff. Starting to look like maybe he needed to go?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look, the pressure he produced was remarkable. However, the fact that he isn't good enough vs the run to start the game or be on the field on first and second down has to be a huge red flag to the NFL. It is on every scouting report. How was he not prepared to answer questions about it?

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He went to Tampa to train for the combine. He was told he would be the 10-15 pick by his agent and other agent types.....typical.

We will see, but it doesn't look good for him. He did a YouTube interview with Francilla??? today and his answers were borderline bizarre. He can't wait to show what he can do......damn he just had the chance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator