Poor Nick...hahahaha

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...erback-to-signing-class-but-it-may-not-happen

"One of the most glaring concerns on the University of Alabama roster this season was quarterback depth. The Crimson Tide had just three players at the position and two of them were freshmen.

However, it’s something that Nick Saban may not be able to fix until 2019 as Alabama wasn’t able to sign a quarterback during the first day of the early signing period.

Ideally, he’d like to have four, but the coach admitted during his news conference Wednesday, “That may or may not be possible.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I never understood why any talented QB would want to go there (or Ugly) and run those shytty offenses.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
And EJ is signed! So glad we don’t have to hang on for dear life for another 6-7 weeks.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
I'm really, really surprised just how much mojo Alabama lost in recruiting after Kirby left. Conversely, I'm in awe of the recruiting job Kirby is doing at UGa

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I never understood why any talented QB would want to go there (or Ugly) and run those shytty offenses.
Not a single one of Sabans qbs has made it in the NFL. Mccarron is the only somewhat good qb he’s had in his entire career. So the fact five stars line up to go there is beyond me. It’s the only position his scheme doesn’t prepare well for the nfl

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Saban was dead set against the early signing period, and it turns out his concerns were probably legit. If you're prepping for a title run, it does make it harder to focus on recruiting, so I do get that. Smart and Dabo seemed to manage, but they're also 20 or so years younger. So he may be showing signs of cracking.

But the other underlying lesson from yesterday is that new coaches need to get a staff in place immediately. It's no coincidence that both fsu and ut are struggling right now. And indirectly, that hurts Saban because I highly doubt the next assistant that gets poached from his staff will be allowed by the new employer to keep splitting duties, as Pruitt is doing. I think programs are going to demand a clean break to avoid sitting around watching others rake in recruits while their new head coach is gameplanning for a game that's at best meaningless for them, and at worst actually counterproductive to their own school's cause. So should he find himself in this position again, I think the whole "stay loyal" thing will be out the window, which will definitely have an impact on him. Knowing what we know now, Smart leaving immediately in 2015 may very well have cost him a ring.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dont forget that Kiffy left too. Kiffy definitely made the offense more desireable for recruits and he has always been a solid, sometimes stellar, recruiter in his own right.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Not a single one of Sabans qbs has made it in the NFL. Mccarron is the only somewhat good qb he’s had in his entire career. So the fact five stars line up to go there is beyond me. It’s the only position his scheme doesn’t prepare well for the nfl
Saban has always preferred a field manager QB. The last three signing were likely OC related.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
But as he can get a freshman some experience near the end of those blow out games it is not as severe as it could be. I bet he could easily get an emergency QB, perhaps even a walk on to fill in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Saban was dead set against the early signing period, and it turns out his concerns were probably legit. .
Oh well.

You are right the early signing period has changed everything. no doubt coaches will be required to start immediately once they are hired.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saban was dead set against the early signing period, and it turns out his concerns were probably legit. If you're prepping for a title run, it does make it harder to focus on recruiting, so I do get that. Smart and Dabo seemed to manage, but they're also 20 or so years younger. So he may be showing signs of cracking.

Saban does all his recruiting the week of signing day. He typically goes from the #20 recruiting class to top 5 on signing day.

With that said, I think he underestimated how many kids would sign early. He has a lot to make up.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I feel for Saban. It must be difficult to balance the priorities of recruiting and preparing for the playoffs when you have a staff of hundreds of employees with numerous vague titles and responsibilities. Especially when you consider that most of them are former head coaches and coordinators.

That has to be the problem........or maybe he is slipping a bit..........maybe

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I feel for Saban. It must be difficult to balance the priorities of recruiting and preparing for the playoffs when you have a staff of hundreds of employees with numerous vague titles and responsibilities. Especially when you consider that most of them are former head coaches and coordinators.

Saban wanted to watch kids till the very last minute, then take the best of the best (after seeing them play against each other in playoffs and allstar games). Having to take them in Dec means he may not get the top kids he wanted.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014

And losing to Auburn, which in turn was beaten badly by UGa, probably did not help his bulbous ego. Alabama fans are quick to anger and very slow to forgive. If he misses the SEC Championship again next year, he better hire more guards for his mansion.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Losing to Auburn actually worked out pretty well, since we got into the playoff and did not have to play Georgia. :D

Mr. SEC

A Very Impatient Grown Up
BANNED
Aug 1, 2014
^^^ I don't agree at all. The CFP committee got the best 4 teams. Do you think Ohio State should be in instead of Bama? Heyal no. Actually Vegas has Bama at the best odds to win the whole thing. Can't wait for Monday, meaningful games to be played!!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...erback-to-signing-class-but-it-may-not-happen

"... two of them were freshmen.

However, it’s something that Nick Saban may not be able to fix until 2019 as Alabama wasn’t able to sign a quarterback during the first day of the early signing period. ....”

Clearly if people this dumb are getting to keyboards we need much stronger keyboard control legislation in this country.

As most college football fans would understand, UAL's Soph and two Frosh depth chart will be a JR and two Soph depth chart next year unless someone bolts. That in part fixes the "issue." As for having four, I guess the ideal is to have four and maybe even five QB prospects when you don't have one or your starter is a rising SR. Having 3 is about right if you have an established starter for next year and the year after and at least one quality backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator