Projected Starting Lineup (Alligator Army)

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it would be better...but it's not realistic. There are very few "elite" (or SEC level DTs in the JUCO ranks) and the odds of TWO of them signing w/ one school is very long. I'm not greedy, I just want one. And hopefully we don't whiff again on the HS DT's.

I don't think we are favorites for any of the top 5 in the state of FL, which really is awful since it is a huge position of need. Kivon Bennett going to Bama really really hurts.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see Thompson starting at RB yet, I expect Cronk to start there due to already having experience and with Thompson's fumbling issues.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I don't see Thompson starting at RB yet, I expect Cronk to start there due to already having experience and with Thompson's fumbling issues.

totally agree. Cronk had the stronger spring and we haven't seen his ceiling yet. he's gonna end up being one of the best in the league.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The two weakest links on the first team are Rolin and Riles.
Rolin isn't bad if he's healthy and playing SAM. He's probably our best LB in coverage (covering the TE as sam). He's too damn light to play inside at Mike or Will though.

Yes, NT/DT depth is terrible as is LB (as evidenced by true freshmen needing to be ready to hit the field day 1).

Riles and the safeties (Maye only weak in coverage but strong against the run) are the weak point in that lineup. I hope Gardner earns a spot quickly bc we know what Washington will be.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect it will be committee. I expect all three to be fine in there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He lists 8 solid D-lineman above,
You can't just say DL as if they are interchangeable. I'm sorry if you don't get that, but none of those guys are true NTs or even real DTs, capable of handling two gaps. The Saban defense (which Flatbill runs) actually requires basically three true NTs/DTs and the buck/jack/rush and LBs handle the sacks.

If you don't have those 2 gap guys, your backers get hit (and hurt) and your safeties are your leading tacklers for the third straight year. It's as simple as that.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
That's it, we suck, let's just forfeit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that's exactly what I said, birthday boy.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Of course it would be better...but it's not realistic. There are very few "elite" (or SEC level DTs in the JUCO ranks) and the odds of TWO of them signing w/ one school is very long. I'm not greedy, I just want one. And hopefully we don't whiff again on the HS DT's.
Didn't we sign Damien Jacobs and Bear Cummings in the same year ? Unlike DE's you just can't expect true freshmen to play at DT/NT imo. It's almost like a mirror of offensive linemen, rarely are they ready to play meaningful downs in this conference.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't we sign Damien Jacobs and Bear Cummings in the same year ? Unlike DE's you just can't expect true freshmen to play at DT/NT imo. It's almost like a mirror of offensive linemen, rarely are they ready to play meaningful downs in this conference.

We need to really raid the JUCO ranks. We obviously we need some freshman DT but we should be pulling in JUCO DT every year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Jacobs and Cummings were a year apart, both were JUCO teammates. (IMO) It's going to be a rare situation to get two top JUCO DT's in the same class....they'd be competing w/ each other for playing time (or a starting position). A graduate transfer would be more likely (than 2 JUCO's in the same class).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We need to really raid the JUCO ranks
Especially for the next 2 years because it will take that long for any incoming freshmen to be ready to play. Also I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems this position has a higher percentage of guys that well just aren't classroom whizzes...JuCo seems to give them the time they need to be able to keep up academically and play against better than HS competition and get stronger/bigger. Mac worked under Saban so I'm sure he's well versed in it's importance at this position.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My bad. I knew they had something in common. Didn't Reed also initially commit to us before switching to Bama the following year?

Yeah, he actually signed w/ us....but didn't get enough credits to graduate. So he went back to JUCO and then was re-recruited. He ended up at Bama and had a hell of a career and was drafted in the 2nd round (?). He was the best JUCO DT of the one's we've signed, too bad he didn't actually play here. Jacobs and Cummings were legit too, but not as good as Reed. I know we're in on some JUCO D-lineman, so hopefully it works out this year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Especially for the next 2 years because it will take that long for any incoming freshmen to be ready to play. Also I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems this position has a higher percentage of guys that well just aren't classroom whizzes...JuCo seems to give them the time they need to be able to keep up academically and play against better than HS competition and get stronger/bigger. Mac worked under Saban so I'm sure he's well versed in it's importance at this position.

That and you eliminate the kids that either outgrow their bodies or just couldn't make the jump from high school competitively. It's the one position that should have a JUCO plan every year.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
totally agree. Cronk had the stronger spring and we haven't seen his ceiling yet. he's gonna end up being one of the best in the league.

Let's hope for that, right. After all, it is the off season, isn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.