Pyrenees trip video

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Spent 2 nights in Barcelona, then 8 nights on the road through the Pyrenees. Then spent another week in Barcelona. Probably the funnest trip I've ever done in my life. My buddies and I will be telling stories about this adventure until we die, which thankfully didn't occur during the ride! Hope you enjoy the video.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Terrific video and good times. I’m going to have to assume that the incognito face was actually @BNAG8R who told his wife he was in Barcelona on a “business trip.”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Spent 2 nights in Barcelona, then 8 nights on the road through the Pyrenees. Then spent another week in Barcelona. Probably the funnest trip I've ever done in my life. My buddies and I will be telling stories about this adventure until we die, which thankfully didn't occur during the ride! Hope you enjoy the video.

Great stuff... ya gotta make time to live life.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I assume y'all rented the bikes, there?
But did you pack your own boots & suits or rent all of that too?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you were all having a blast, so I'd say mission accomplished :thumbup:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I assume y'all rented the bikes, there?
But did you pack your own boots & suits or rent all of that too?
Yes we rented the bikes in Barcelona. There are several places that offer this.

Everyone brought their own jackets, gloves, etc, but a couple guys used rental helmets so they wouldn't have to lug them on the airplane. All the necessary gear to ride, including safety gear and saddlebags etc, was included in the rental if you wanted any of it. I brought all my own personal stuff.

We basically had a fast group and a slow group. But also you could just ride along by yourself at your own pace. We used a phone app that allows us to plan and share the routes and also see where the other riders are on a map. This let us move along easily without having to herd a bunch of cats at every intersection. At any one time we might have one dude who blasts ahead, then 3 guys in the next group, then a couple guys who decided to take a different route, and a couple more guys that stopped to get coffee and take pictures. We all ended up in the same place.

Everything was done on the fly as far as planning. We'd plan a route in the morning to some town that looked interesting, and share the route, The first guy there would find the town square or some cool place to hang out and send a message with a gps pin where he was, then we'd all eventually meet up. We'd ask the locals where a cool place to stay was and eventually go there and get some rooms. Occasionally we'd book rooms in advance with booking.com but mostly we just showed up and took what they had.

Comms for the group were done with the Signal app. A group text to keep everyone up to speed, share the routes, etc, and you could do internet calling. Pictures and videos shared among the group with an app called Photocircle, which was also super handy.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Tell me about the drone shots. How’d that work? How many miles could you let it go or how long/high could it go?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me about the drone shots. How’d that work? How many miles could you let it go or how long/high could it go?
There were only two drone shots in that video, the one with the 3 bikes winding up the road and the one over the lake. I have to control it the whole time, so I was off the bike operating it.

A few of the video shots were taken with iphones, but most of it was shot with my 360 camera, which is this one.

You mount it using a selfie stick and it shoots everything. Then you use your phone or ipad afterward to reframe the shot and export the video. I just mounted the camera in various places on the bike....handlebars, hanging off the back, sticking out the side, etc....along the way. The software digitally removes the selfie stick from the video so it looks like the camera is hovering around you.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
There were only two drone shots in that video, the one with the 3 bikes winding up the road and the one over the lake. I have to control it the whole time, so I was off the bike operating it.

A few of the video shots were taken with iphones, but most of it was shot with my 360 camera, which is this one.

You mount it using a selfie stick and it shoots everything. Then you use your phone or ipad afterward to reframe the shot and export the video. I just mounted the camera in various places on the bike....handlebars, hanging off the back, sticking out the side, etc....along the way. The software digitally removes the selfie stick from the video so it looks like the camera is hovering around you.
Very cool - thanks!

I tried to do a Go Pro out the sunroof on the Tail of the Dragon once and you’d get carsick trying to watch it. Yuck.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very cool - thanks!

I tried to do a Go Pro out the sunroof on the Tail of the Dragon once and you’d get carsick trying to watch it. Yuck.
You talking about Deal's Gap? If so I rode that a few times when I was living back east. Fun road.

The Pyrenees trip had hundreds of miles of road like that. It was like somebody built a million square mile motorcycle fun park.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Everyone brought their own jackets, gloves, etc, but a couple guys used rental helmets so they wouldn't have to lug them on the airplane. All the necessary gear to ride, including safety gear and saddlebags etc, was included in the rental if you wanted any of it. I brought all my own personal stuff.

We basically had a fast group and a slow group. But also you could just ride along by yourself at your own pace. We used a phone app that allows us to plan and share the routes and also see where the other riders are on a map. This let us move along easily without having to herd a bunch of cats at every intersection. At any one time we might have one dude who blasts ahead, then 3 guys in the next group, then a couple guys who decided to take a different route, and a couple more guys that stopped to get coffee and take pictures. We all ended up in the same place.

Everything was done on the fly as far as planning. We'd plan a route in the morning to some town that looked interesting, and share the route, The first guy there would find the town square or some cool place to hang out and send a message with a gps pin where he was, then we'd all eventually meet up. We'd ask the locals where a cool place to stay was and eventually go there and get some rooms. Occasionally we'd book rooms in advance with booking.com but mostly we just showed up and took what they had.

Comms for the group were done with the Signal app. A group text to keep everyone up to speed, share the routes, etc, and you could do internet calling. Pictures and videos shared among the group with an app called Photocircle, which was also super handy.

Damn, that's great planning and use of tools.

Thanks for Sharon.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Note to @CDGator and @AlexDaGator ... THIS is how you plan a multi-person trip... :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You talking about Deal's Gap? If so I rode that a few times when I was living back east. Fun road.

The Pyrenees trip had hundreds of miles of road like that. It was like somebody built a million square mile motorcycle fun park.

Yep, that’s the one. Dad has a cabin in Robinsville and that’s the fastest and most direct route. Kids have gotten sick on it so many times. Seedy pulls over for the bikes so they aren’t stuck behind us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator