Q&A w/ LB Daniel McMillian

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.floridagators.com/news/...three-and-out-gators-lb-daniel-mcmillian.aspx

Three and Out: Gators LB Daniel McMillian

A quick Q&A with McMillian and a glance at the linebackers

By Scott Carter, Senior Writer | Thursday, July 28, 2016
image_handler.aspx

Linebacker Daniel McMillian wants to make more plays as a senior. (Photo: Courtney Culbreath for UAA)

The third of our Three and Out Q&A series with Gators to preview each position group heading into the start of preseason camp.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The first words out of Gators linebacker Daniel McMillian's mouth tell you all you need to know.

"My last go-round,'' McMillian said.

A highly rated outside linebacker out of First Coast High in Jacksonville in 2013, McMillian arrived at UF ranked higher than teammate Jarrad Davis in recruiting circles.

While Davis turned into a dynamic force a season ago, McMillian was primarily a reserve who finished with 23 tackles, including a career-high six in Florida's loss to Michigan in the Citrus Bowl.

The 6-foot-1, 227-pound McMillian has a new look -- gone are the dreadlocks he has worn the past three years -- and a focused outlook as he enters his final season.

Here is our Three and Out with McMillian:

Q: What's your approach as a senior with an opportunity to play more?

A: My mindset is stay on point, stay grounded as always, and get on the field and make plays like I did in high school and like I know I'm able to do.

Q: What area did you develop most last season and what was the key ingredient?

A: I got better mentally. I started to know the game better. This year, I can say I'm at my highest peak, I know the game more. I expect to make more plays. Film study [was critical]. Film study when I don't want it. When I'm playing Madden I'm studying film. I look at the game in a different way. Sometimes when I see the offense run a play, I say, 'hey, I run that in Madden.'

Q: How much did linebackers coach Randy Shannon help?

A: That's my boy. It was calmer. Just go out there and play, kind of like Pop Warner. He coaches different guys different ways based on how they respond to certain things.

SCOUTING THE LINEBACKERS

image_handler.aspx

Senior linebacker Jarrad Davis. (Photo: Jay Metz for UAA)

Player to Watch: Davis emerged as one of Florida's top players in 2015 and is primed for stardom after deciding to return for his senior season. He was named to the Preseason All-SEC Team after finishing with a career-high 98 tackles, including 11 for loss and 3.5 sacks.

Newcomer to Watch: True freshman David Reese enrolled in January in an important move for a unit that is thin on depth. Reese was a dominant force at Farmington (Mich.) High, where he totaled 138 tackles as a senior. At 6-foot, 239 pounds, Reese is a physical player who showed above-average instincts in spring camp.

Overview: The Gators will miss the physical presence of Antonio Morrison, but Davis has taken on a prominent leadership role and is more physically gifted than Morrison, a fourth-round pick by the Indianapolis Colts. Alex Anzalone has shown great promise when healthy. If he can avoid injuries, look for Anzalone to make a difference. He started the first two games last season before a shoulder injured sidelined him. Matt Rolin returns and remains somewhat of a mystery. Like Anzalone, Rolin has been hampered by injuries and has played in only three games in three seasons. If he and McMillian can contribute consistently, the forecast for the linebackers improves greatly. Reese is projected to play his first season and a pair of redshirt freshmen, Rayshad Jackson and Kylan Johnson, has an opportunity to prove they can contribute in their second seasons. A former defensive back, Johnson was injured and missed the majority of the season. Newcomers Vosean Joseph and Jeremiah Moon provide depth. The Gators know what they have in Davis. The question is who will emerge alongside him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What about Rolin playing 3 games in 3 seasons …. isn't that grounds for a medical redshirt. Or do we want
him to just move on ? Can Anzalone get an extra year ? Kids need 2 years of healthy playing to have their
best chance impress the NFL scouts. I want those 2 well mended and launched to new heights of performance…i.e. I want them to surprise us with quality LBing.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about Rolin playing 3 games in 3 seasons …. isn't that grounds for a medical redshirt. Or do we want
him to just move on ? Can Anzalone get an extra year ? Kids need 2 years of healthy playing to have their
best chance impress the NFL scouts. I want those 2 well mended and launched to new heights of performance…i.e. I want them to surprise us with quality LBing.

McMillian has never met a false first step he didn't love. Anzalone can be great if he can protect that damn shoulder.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Anzalone was already granted a 5th year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We need at least 2 of the young LBs to get some PT this year or our 2017 D is going to be hurting badly at this position.

Between Reese, Moon, Joseph, Jackson, and Johnson (the 3 J's) I hope we can get some production...and maybe a start or two.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We need at least 2 of the young LBs to get some PT this year or our 2017 D is going to be hurting badly at this position.

Between Reese, Moon, Joseph, Jackson, and Johnson (the 3 J's) I hope we can get some production...and maybe a start or two.
I think Reese & Johnson will play alot and play well. The other 3 I expect to redshirt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think Reese & Johnson will play alot and play well. The other 3 I expect to redshirt.

I agree on Reese & Johnson, but I don't think all 3 of the others redshirt. I expect at least one of them will get STs reps and prepped for playing more next season...at least I hope that's the case. In regards to Jackson, he's already a redshirt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's two Jacksons. Kylan has already used his redshirt. He will be on the field at times, Rayshad will redshirt.

Kylan's last name is Johnson.....Rayshad's is Jackson....they both redshirted last year.....(I think! :D)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Color me unconvinced that playing Madden counts as game film time. He has a pulse and isnt hurt. I guess that's something but I wont be surprised to see Christian Garcia more.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Color me unconvinced that playing Madden counts as game film time. He has a pulse and isnt hurt. I guess that's something but I wont be surprised to see Christian Garcia more.
Stop acting like your football education didn't come from playing Madden and and listening to Brent musburger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.