Question About Kerwin Bell

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Kerwin Bell's name always comes up whenvever possible candidates for the University of Florida head coaching job is mentioned. He is the nearest thing I know of to Steve Spurrier on training wheels. He fits the bill in the legacy category being a former UF quarterback. Offensive mind-set. Even in personality he seems to be kindred to Spurrier.

As far as I know he has done pretty good job over at Jacksonville University. One of the main counter arguments I have heard about Bell is that he has only been the head coach at a low tier program. Why hasn't another program, a program at a higher lever, gone after Kerwin Bell? Does he not aspire to something higher? Does he just like being the coach at Jacksonville University? I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I am just wondering why Bell hasn't made the move to say a second tier program?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
He's hanging around waiting for the UF job?
I would guess
a) he likes living in the great state of Florida and
b) none of the bigger boys have come calling which might say all you need to know about his… suitability to the position here.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He started at JU around the time that Harbaugh started coaching at U San Diego (a D1AA non-scholarship school). Harbaugh got hired at Stanford....and is now w/ San Fran. Yet, Kerwin is still in the same job at JU. Both played QB in the NFL (and Kerwin in CFL), similar backgrounds.

My guess is he hasn't impressed the right people. I figured he'd be an OC at a bigger school by now (I never expected him to get a D1 head coaching gig out of JU). There are plenty of real 1AA schools (scholarship programs) that have done as well or better than JU/Bell. I'm guessing he also stuck around JU to coach his son....who is now almost out of there.

I'd love to see him as an OC. Could it possibly be worse? I don't think so...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The fact of the matter is if he wasn't a gator nobody would even know who he is

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The fact is that we don't know if he has had other offers. I have heard that he has. He also coached a CFL team very successfully. There is nothing he doesn't know about winning offensive schemes. His teams with lesser talent characteristically beats teams with greater talent.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n87570 said:
The fact of the matter is if he wasn't a gator nobody would even know who he is

Same could be said of Muschamp. If his Defense didn't shut down Tebow, nobody would even know who he is.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've always wondered why Kerwin seems so content at JU

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've heard the same as many of you. Still hearing the point that his son may be the reason and to be with him until he's out of school. Kerwin is going to have to make the jump soon somewhere to accomplish getting in the D1 mix soon. It would be a good thing IMO to see him come to UF or somewhere under good leadership as a asst. to make the eventual jump.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would love to have kerwin as an oc, but as far as the hbc job goes we need someone with a little more experience. JU to UF is quite a jump.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to recall him turning down an offer from a bigger school to be a position coach - preferring to stay at a head coach position (or perhaps a move to OC).

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Most of this is speculation. I don't see him as our HBC without his going somewhere as an OC for a while. SOS did not try to hire him at any point and perhaps that is because he wants to stay where he is. I would like to have him as a Gator coach with the right people around him. Leadership is something that I think is missing here in a massive amount.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n87520 said:
Kerwin Bell's name always comes up whenvever possible candidates for the University of Florida head coaching job is mentioned. He is the nearest thing I know of to Steve Spurrier on training wheels. He fits the bill in the legacy category being a former UF quarterback. Offensive mind-set. Even in personality he seems to be kindred to Spurrier.

As far as I know he has done pretty good job over at Jacksonville University. One of the main counter arguments I have heard about Bell is that he has only been the head coach at a low tier program. Why hasn't another program, a program at a higher lever, gone after Kerwin Bell? Does he not aspire to something higher? Does he just like being the coach at Jacksonville University? I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I am just wondering why Bell hasn't made the move to say a second tier program?

He has interviews with Auburn, a CFL team, and maybe one other to move up to at least OC. From reports he likes to be in charge, and he loves the state of Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.