R.I.P. Ken Squier

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Long time CBS sports announcer, Nascar Hall of Fame inductee passed away, age 88. I never heard a bad word about him. He always did his job focused on everyone but himself. He was the first who called the Daytona 500 "The Great American Race". My first Daytona 500 was in 1979. I was a kid, got out of school for a week to come to Florida for all the races at Volusia, New Smyrna, and Daytona. It was the first live flag to flag tv broadcast of any Nascar race. On the last lap 120,000 fans erupted from the bleachers. 16 million watched on live television as Ken Squier called the race that put Nascar on the map all across America.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...ting-pioneer-obituary/?linkId=100000226862578

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
Completely off topic, and I apologize in advance- have you been to the Turkey Rod run in Daytona? We are going to be in Ormond next weekend and I see that you are a car guy- is that worth going to? Thanks!

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I remember that Daytona 500 - all eyes were on the fight between the two guys that were gonna finish 1-2 and not on the winner's circle - just Cool as Hell

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Completely off topic, and I apologize in advance- have you been to the Turkey Rod run in Daytona? We are going to be in Ormond next weekend and I see that you are a car guy- is that worth going to? Thanks!
Check out "Biggins" it's right off of A1A. Definitely worth your while

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
It's looking like the weather might be ****- so who knows...... thanks for the tip.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021

Definitely. Ormond has the Gaslight Parade, 7pm on Friday Nov. 24. Starts at The Casements, east end of Granada Bridge (Rt 40) Rolls to A1A then south to Harvard Dr. and back up Riverside & S Halifax. Gaslight Parade is not hot rods, it is only antique and classic stock appearing vehicles. They also have a antique car show Saturday at The Casements and the north side of the bridge, Fortunato Park. Very small compared to Turkey Run but free and might see a Model A, Model T, or Stanley Steamer.

Turkey Run at the speedway is not what it used to be but still worth going. 8-4 daily, 8:30 is a Pro Street parade into the infield from the backstretch. If you like blowers and fat rear tires its worth seeing. There is more than you can see in a day, wear your walking shoes. Fri/Sat are the best days, they also have a new thing, Turkey Run Nites, in the front parking lot. Its free, with several cars from the infield show.
HOME

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I remember that Daytona 500 - all eyes were on the fight between the two guys that were gonna finish 1-2 and not on the winner's circle - just Cool as Hell
I saw the entire wreck thru my dad's 10x50 binoculars. There was my brother, two cousins, my dad and uncle. We saw Bobby Allison come out of the garage and drive the wrong way around the track to get to the fight. I still see the Allisons once or twice a year. Cale never attends any Nascar events. Donnie was in the Hawaiian Tropic car, Ron Rice got so much pr from that it helped him make millions.

The only other stadium pandemonium I've experienced like that was the '97 FSU game, I was 4th row NEZ.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I wasn’t born yet but seeing the ending of that 79 500 sure made me wish I could have seen it live…I followed NASCAR in the 90s when it was the Winston Cup but lost touch after Earnhardt and it started becoming more corporate and pretty boy/prima donna….Squier had a nice smooth delivery, perfect for racing…..

Random question…have any of you been to Volusia Speedway? I was thinking about heading down there in the spring to catch a World of Outlaws sprint car race

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I wasn’t born yet but seeing the ending of that 79 500 sure made me wish I could have seen it live…I followed NASCAR in the 90s when it was the Winston Cup but lost touch after Earnhardt and it started becoming more corporate and pretty boy/prima donna….Squier had a nice smooth delivery, perfect for racing…..

Random question…have any of you been to Volusia Speedway? I was thinking about heading down there in the spring to catch a World of Outlaws sprint car race
I grew up watching those cars. They're still my favorites even more than IMSA. I go one or two nights in Feb. Volusia Dirt Car Nationals
Just about lost my voice a cpl yrs ago at this one. Haudenschild's dad was one of my all time favorite racers. Three car battles like this don't happen often.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I grew up watching those cars. They're still my favorites even more than IMSA. I go one or two nights in Feb. Volusia Dirt Car Nationals
Just about lost my voice a cpl yrs ago at this one. Haudenschild's dad was one of my all time favorite racers. Three car battles like this don't happen often.

Yes sir! I grew up in the 90s so for me Dave Blaney was the big name....sprint cars and stadium truck racing were my jam....so you recommend seeing a race at Volusia? It's worth the drive from Jax?

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Yes sir! I grew up in the 90s so for me Dave Blaney was the big name....sprint cars and stadium truck racing were my jam....so you recommend seeing a race at Volusia? It's worth the drive from Jax?

Its worth it. Just be prepared for weather. Might be nice, more likely very cold. Check the 3 day forecast for rain. I've taken 'hot hands' bean bag super warmers for my pockets. They're priceless. Take a handkerchief or neck gaiter for your face and a pair of clear safety glasses or goggles for the dust. Tickets are also pit passes so go early. See and hear these cars up close. Its good to have reserved seats up high but if you don't they have good bleachers around the pits in turn 1-2 and on the back by the modified pit area. They usually have 30-40 sprints and 80-100 modifieds in Feb.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Thanks for the info! I want to say I glanced at the schedule and I think they race their in March too but i could be wrong....

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Thanks for the info! I want to say I glanced at the schedule and I think they race their in March too but i could be wrong....
Nice, I didn't know that. WoO owners group also owns Volusia too. They did it last year because other dates were canceled because of freezing cold in La. or Ga. wherever the schedule was. That was a first. Glad they're back for that again. Daytona Supercross is the night before. The week after I'll be working Indycar St Pete, then IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator