Jul 23, 2014
118710403_3485384544893073_6320401737838503384_n.jpg

I'd just go with Maurice...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'd just go with Maurice...

and as a quick follow on to the lyrics (not that anyone asked...)

"Some people call me Maurice... 'cause I speak to the Pompatus of love"

Pompatus (or Pompitus) (/ˈpɒmpətəs/) is a nonce word coined by Steve Miller famously in his 1973 hit single "The Joker". The word is probably a corruption or imagined version of the word "puppetuse", an original coinage of the 14-year-old Vernon Green, and subsequently released in 1954 as the doo-wop song "The Letter" performed by him and The Medallions -- a song which also included another original coinage, "pismotality." In other songs, "Enter Maurice" and "The Conversation," Miller adds the word "epismetology" to "pompatus," one in spoken word, the style of "The Letter," in a likely homage to The Medallions' song. The oddness of the word "pompatus" occasioned some attention and further use, including being used in the title of a movie.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
and as a quick follow on to the lyrics (not that anyone asked...)

"Some people call me Maurice... 'cause I speak to the Pompatus of love"

Pompatus (or Pompitus) (/ˈpɒmpətəs/) is a nonce word coined by Steve Miller famously in his 1973 hit single "The Joker". The word is probably a corruption or imagined version of the word "puppetuse", an original coinage of the 14-year-old Vernon Green, and subsequently released in 1954 as the doo-wop song "The Letter" performed by him and The Medallions -- a song which also included another original coinage, "pismotality." In other songs, "Enter Maurice" and "The Conversation," Miller adds the word "epismetology" to "pompatus," one in spoken word, the style of "The Letter," in a likely homage to The Medallions' song. The oddness of the word "pompatus" occasioned some attention and further use, including being used in the title of a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator