RB Thompson looks explosive in 2nd Scrimmage

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Coincidentally, this is the first time explosive and Gators running back have been used together since Adam Lane in the Birmingham Bowl.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I still think by the end of the season Scarlett will be the break out guy; although, it never hurts to have a committee of guys who can tote the rock

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sad to say but I don't think the QB situation gets solved until we are well into the season. I think the 2 guys are probably pretty close.....yet neither will end up being very good. If the offensive line and running game emerges I'll be happier than a pig in sh!t because serviceable is likely what we end up with at QB this season. I could be wrong but letting any QB on this roster chuck it around 40 times a game looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Sad to say but I don't think the QB situation gets solved until we are well into the season. I think the 2 guys are probably pretty close.....yet neither will end up being very good. If the offensive line and running game emerges I'll be happier than a pig in sh!t because serviceable is likely what we end up with at QB this season. I could be wrong but letting any QB on this roster chuck it around 40 times a game looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Of course I disagree. I think we will have a decent game manager this year that wont visit the supliment store.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Crete, I think this is an accurate post, but in the interest of full disclosure you should point out that you wouldn't want 40 passes a game if you had Joe Namath and Jerry Rice on the team.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Crete, I think this is an accurate post, but in the interest of full disclosure you should point out that you wouldn't want 40 passes a game if you had Joe Namath and Jerry Rice on the team.

I'm surprised Crete didn't melt like the Wicked Witch (*) when he saw that 3 of next year's reported top 5 targeted recruits are wide receivers. (I would assume they don't get rated that high if they're primarily used as blockers.)

* Not suggesting that Crete is the Wicked Witch. But he convincingly demonstrates a Woody Hayes attitude about offense most of the time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not true. If I felt confident in a high percentage PROVEN QB with an experienced offensive line that would keep him off a stretcher I wouldn't care if we went a little pass happy.....As it is we have a three time transfer who's arm resembles the instant vermicelli that I'm having for dinner and a guy who couldn't keep a starting job at Purdue....Most QB's don't magically get better. They either got it or they don't.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm surprised Crete didn't melt like the Wicked Witch (*) when he saw that 3 of next year's reported top 5 targeted recruits are wide receivers. (I would assume they don't get rated that high if they're primarily used as blockers.)

* Not suggesting that Crete is the Wicked Witch. But he convincingly demonstrates a Woody Hayes attitude about offense most of the time.
We already have plenty of WR's from the 2016 class....What we need now is a guy who can get it to them....BTW would it hurt the staff to make a LBer, DT, or OT a top priority for next year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Of course I disagree. I think we will have a decent game manager this year that wont visit the supliment store.
I remember when I thought CW would make JD a star. Then I remember thinking BP would make JD good. Then I prayed KR would make JD a decent game manager.......Then last year I remember wishing DN could teach TH how to play on stilts. Wish in one hand and pray supplement boy has a change of heart in the other.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Not true. If I felt confident in a high percentage PROVEN QB with an experienced offensive line that would keep him off a stretcher I wouldn't care if we went a little pass happy.....As it is we have a three time transfer who's arm resembles the instant vermicelli that I'm having for dinner and a guy who couldn't keep a starting job at Purdue....Most QB's don't magically get better. They either got it or they don't.
Most qbs don't ...get better. Ummmm, qb for your hogs got consistently better so that by last year he was decent.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when I thought CW would make JD a star. Then I remember thinking BP would make JD good. Then I prayed KR would make JD a decent game manager.......Then last year I remember wishing DN could teach TH how to play on stilts. Wish in one hand and pray supplement boy has a change of heart in the other.

IDK ... shouldn't we have seen some infer-read heat figure of W. Greer sneaking among colleges or JC
by now ? Will this disappearance, indecision, confusion, (baby pouting) damage his NFL resume' ?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Most qbs don't ...get better. Ummmm, qb for your hogs got consistently better so that by last year he was decent.
Sure they can refine their skills and use experience to help them. But if they suck really bad then they usually stay in that suckage. If they show up off the bat, DW, CL, RG, TT, and WG, then you know you got something to work with. If you're referencing Brandon Allen, he started as a freshmen which may not mean much at a talent depleted program like Arky but it's obvious he had true talent.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I remember when I thought CW would make JD a star. Then I remember thinking BP would make JD good. Then I prayed KR would make JD a decent game manager.......Then last year I remember wishing DN could teach TH how to play on stilts.

It is all about coaching. As bad as JD was here, he threw for 4k and 27tds at LaTech. I think he would have been above average under Mac. Nothing the coaches can do with a QB that simply lacks the physical ability to throw the football (Treon). I have high hopes for this year and even higher hopes for the future (Trask, Franks, Allen). Appleby has NFL arm talent. Not his fault his coach at Purdue made The Chump look good. Now he has Mac and Nuss coaching him. I think he is going to be solid by the time game 1 arrives.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Sure they can refine their skills and use experience to help them. But if they suck really bad then they usually stay in that suckage. If they show up off the bat, DW, CL, RG, TT, and WG, then you know you got something to work with. If you're referencing Brandon Allen, he started as a freshmen which may not mean much at a talent depleted program like Arky but it's obvious he had true talent.
"True talent" ! Gimme a break. He looked like crap up to his senior year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
"True talent" ! Gimme a break. He looked like crap up to his senior year.
I had to look up his career numbers to refresh my memory. I was wrong about him starting as a freshmen. He had a decent junior season and a good senior year. There is NOBODY on this planet that would have had decent numbers on that train wreck,2012- 2013, that John L Smith left there...

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I had to look up his career numbers to refresh my memory. I was wrong about him starting as a freshmen. He had a decent junior season and a good senior year. There is NOBODY on this planet that would have had decent numbers on that train wreck,2012- 2013, that John L Smith left there...
Coudda, woudda, shoudda....
Decent Jr, good SR is an accurate evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.