Recruitnik Roots

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Had to get that Street and Smith to learn about our team and others.
68.jpg
there was our guy, Larry Smith
What was it? 93 yards in the Orange Bowl with his pants drooping?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I started following recruiting in the early 80's thanks to Gator Bait.
It sounds so antiquated now but I used to look forward to the recruiting edition arriving in the mail each January. This edition would include David Stirt's "Cream of the Crop" list each year that featured the top 20-25 players in the state. The accuracy of this list, compared to the performance of these players, was very impressive. Typically, 80-90% of these players would turn out to be NFL caliber.

What I liked about it was that it appeared to be objective versus some of the homer crap we get now that tries to convince you that every player UF gets, is one of the best. There would be years in the 80's when we might get 1 or 2 players on the list while Miami and FSU cleaned up. This would help me to manage my expectations in the late 80's. Conversely, once SOS arrived, we would see UF get their fair share of these players and the results on the field validated the list.

Stirring was a visionary. He not only established GatorBait but I think he was the driving force behind linking such publications. And he did it twice. Some of you likely have a better handle on it than me but I think GatorBait spawned Rivals & Fightin’ Gators Scout.

And speaking of old timers, I was not a fan of Jack Hairston. The Sun was always behind the other state papers in Gator news and commentary.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't pay much attention until Tebow mania. I've come full circle and not paying much attention now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.