Rest in Peace Dickey Betts

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021

It is with profound sadness and heavy hearts that the Betts family announce the peaceful passing of Forrest Richard 'Dickey' Betts (December 12, 1943 - April 18, 2024) at the age of 80 years old. The legendary performer, songwriter, bandleader and family patriarch passed away earlier today at his home in Osprey, FL., surrounded by his family. Dickey was larger than life, and his loss will be felt world-wide. At this difficult time, the family asks for prayers and respect for their privacy in the coming days. More information will be forthcoming at the appropriate time.

:weep:

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite work of his. He and Duane were absolutely on point in this show.

RIP brother.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Losing these guys - Petty, Greg Allman and now Betts - flings open a lot of memories and underscores the preciousness of the time we have.

I’ve seen well over 60 major bands and I’m pretty sure I saw the Allman Brothers more than anyone because they played so often in Gainesville. Once was in Alligator Alley with BB King as the opening act, and several at Flavet Field/the UF bandshell. Also saw them at least once in Lakeland and at a festival or 2.

Bett’s’ signature sound just hits home with me. I’m so thankful for the easy access to mountains of performances. My 27-year-old son (a photonic engineer and percussionist) took up guitar a couple of years ago. He’s into electric power chords, loves Motley Crue. He was visiting at Easter and picked up an acoustic I’ve been learning on. I was pleased to hear him picking the melody to Jessica. Bett’s’ legacy is in him. I’ve been sending him more Allman Bros clips to put on a playlist. And I introduced him to Tedeschi-Trucks.

People don’t generally realize how ground-breaking and influential they were. Seismic. Way beyond the Southern Rock genre they spawned. If not for Betts, how would they have fared after Duane’s death? With him, the road goes on forever.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I have absolutely no idea why I never caught The Allman Brothers live. No idea.
The very first song I ever danced to with a girl, was Ramblin' man. 1972 ish......??
I can't remember at what point I realized that the "sound" of the Allman Brothers music wasn't from an Allman Brother at all, It was Dickey Betts.
So many bands have a signature sound, so many have a signature song or even a signature guitar riff.
Dickey Betts was unique, a true original, a pioneer.

I recently saw an interview with him. He was absolutely heartbroken and despondent when Greg didn't invite him to tour with the group before Greg Died.
He did say, He and Greg reconciled before he Passed.

Theo is spot on.

People don’t generally realize how ground-breaking and influential they were. Seismic. Way beyond the Southern Rock genre they spawned. If not for Betts, how would they have fared after Duane’s death? With him, the road goes on forever.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Losing these guys - Petty, Greg Allman and now Betts - flings open a lot of memories and underscores the preciousness of the time we have.

I’ve seen well over 60 major bands and I’m pretty sure I saw the Allman Brothers more than anyone because they played so often in Gainesville. Once was in Alligator Alley with BB King as the opening act, and several at Flavet Field/the UF bandshell. Also saw them at least once in Lakeland and at a festival or 2.

Bett’s’ signature sound just hits home with me. I’m so thankful for the easy access to mountains of performances. My 27-year-old son (a photonic engineer and percussionist) took up guitar a couple of years ago. He’s into electric power chords, loves Motley Crue. He was visiting at Easter and picked up an acoustic I’ve been learning on. I was pleased to hear him picking the melody to Jessica. Bett’s’ legacy is in him. I’ve been sending him more Allman Bros clips to put on a playlist. And I introduced him to Tedeschi-Trucks.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He was absolutely heartbroken and despondent when Greg didn't invite him to tour with the group before Greg Died.

I could be wrong but the reason why could have been that Dickey struggled with drugs and alcohol. Not sure if this was the case here but…

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I'll add to that statement above....and this is only my theory but I honestly feel it has merit....Betts made a huge impact on bringing the Gibson Les Paul guitar to the level of prominence it reached. In the early days of rock music, the two iconic brands which most guitar players were seen with were Rickenbacker & Gretsch. Of course Gibson and Fender were making guitars long before but the ones people got to actually see being played on stage(or Ed Sullivan) were the Gretsch/Rickenbacker. Fender Strats took hold among classic 'rock' guitarists in the late 60's and exploded in the 70's, while the Gibson LP were not as common. Betts and Duane Allman were playing their southern rock using LP's and it was very short time that EVERY band playing that genre had a Gibson Les Paul in their mix. Since Duane died so early on, Betts got more time on tv, etc....and that Les Paul became synonymous with southern rock sound. Marshall Tucker's Toy Caldwell, Rick Hirsch of Wet Willie, one of the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarists at the time used an LP(the other two had a Strat and a Fender Flying V at times while other times using the Fender Firebird), Elvin Bishop--Les Paul, etc....the list goes on and on but the point remains IMO Betts helped bring the Les Paul to elite status while also establishing the perception if a group was going to play Southern Rock, it HAD to use a Gibson Les Paul. It carried over to other genre's as well--Peter Frampton played(most times) his custom White LP with the 3 Humbucker pickups(LP typically come with just 2 pickups) and he had a really distinct sound.

There are plenty of other examples but that's the gist of it from a guitarist point of view. An obscure model guitar become a gold standard(and remains to this day) because of what Dicky Betts did in the early 70's. It would be interesting to see if Gibson numbers support this theory, but all I know is "I" and all my guitar playing friends became huge LP fans and bought our own primarily because of the ABB and Betts.

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I could be wrong but the reason why could have been that Dickey struggled with drugs and alcohol. Not sure if this was the case here but…
Yes, that's correct.
Dickey never mentioned that as a reason for the snub but, others have said as much.
I don't think Greg ever mentioned the reason either.

I'm just glad they patched it up before Greg Passed.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Betts & Duane Allman on the guitar solos, Greg Allman vocals. Great old bluesy from a great era in music.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
More of the Dan Rather interview with Betts. Great story towards the end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.