RIP Larry Libertore

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rest peacefully, Mr.Libertore. Loved watching you QB the Gators.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are getting old! RIP

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.theledger.com/news/20171225/political-leader-developer-gator-qb-libertore-dies-at-78

Gator Nation lost a great one yesterday.

RIP Larry! Thoughts and prayers to the family.

"At the University of Florida, Libertore was a Sigma Nu fraternity member.[5] On coach Ray Graves Florida Gators football team, Libertore was an option quarterback and defensive back. Libertore was a small player at just 138 pounds.[6] As Libertore once recalled, "They always had trouble getting equipment to fit me."[7] But he was fast. Libertore's 786 rushing yards remained the most by a Gators quarterback until eclipsed by Tim Tebow in 2007."

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Larry Libertore with a little help from Bobby Dodd Jr beats the mighty Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets coached by Bobby Dodd, I believe the score was 18-17. People around my hometown talked about that game for years.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Prayers for his family. A Gator great. Had the opportunity to work as a page while he was a state representative and got to meet him. Very nice person.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Larry was from Lakeland and after his Gator career (around the mid-60s) he played some semi-pro ball with a team called the Lakeland Brahmans. They played on Saturday nights at Bryant Stadium where Lakeland High still plays their home games. I remember my Dad taking me to see them play. Even as a little kid I could tell he was a lot smaller than all the other players.

The Brahmans also had a QB named John Stofa who was good enough as a weekend player to hook on with the Miami Dolphins and the Bengals for a five year career.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Larry was from Lakeland and after his Gator career (around the mid-60s) he played some semi-pro ball with a team called the Lakeland Brahmans. They played on Saturday nights at Bryant Stadium where Lakeland High still plays their home games. I remember my Dad taking me to see them play. Even as a little kid I could tell he was a lot smaller than all the other players.

The Brahmans also had a QB named John Stofa who was good enough as a weekend player to hook on with the Miami Dolphins and the Bengals for a five year career.

I’m a Lakeland native too. I didn’t ever see him play any sports but knew him as a local politician then when I moved back and worked there for about 12 years. God bless and keep him.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I remember listening to bits and pieces of the games of that era with my Dad and Grand Dad. I distinctly recall how excited they were when the Gators knocked off a great Ga Tech squad. The name Larry Libatore was spoken with great respect in our home. Both gentlemen loved the Gators to their dying day. I expect to do the same. Rest in peace and my sincere condolences to the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator