Rumph & Shannon hitting Texas hard

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n224864 said:
So, they always do?

Florida, Texas and Cali are always some combo of 1-2-3 as far as high school talent. Secure your home state and everything else is gravy. Again, I hope its just an overtime escapade vs giving up time on homegrown kids. We are the flagship university. We should be able to sell that to the in state kids. If not that's just more crap on Muschamp and the mistake of keeping him that extra year(ad nauseum).

I'm not sure there's a good argument for NOT fishing in your backyard when it is the state of FL. TONS of fish here and the fish should be biting on your bait more here than in Tejas.

Again, just my worthless opinion.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n224876 said:
Florida, Texas and Cali are always some combo of 1-2-3 as far as high school talent. Secure your home state and everything else is gravy. Again, I hope its just an overtime escapade vs giving up time on homegrown kids. We are the flagship university. We should be able to sell that to the in state kids. If not that's just more crap on Muschamp and the mistake of keeping him that extra year(ad nauseum).

I'm not sure there's a good argument for NOT fishing in your backyard when it is the state of FL. TONS of fish here and the fish should be biting on your bait more here than in Tejas.

Again, just my worthless opinion.

Oh, I agree about Florida being the priority, just think J said it well that maybe we're kinda late for the next cycle. Hopefully it evens out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n224867 said:
It's not. The problem is that 2016 recruiting began last year
That's the way it is for a new coach. If the last guy hadn't effed it up, he wouldn't have been fired. SOS had the same handicap and brought in a class that won 4 SECs and 1 NC. Meyer brought in the guys that won 2 SECs and 2 NCs.

Either they get this staff gets their recruiting mojo, and fast, or they end up like Zook and Chimp. This wait til 2017 for a good class and wait til 2020 til we are decent again theory won't fly. Champions get it done. Losers make excuses.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What is wrong with making a push into Texas for recruits? I don't see in the article where it said we are giving up on the players in Fla so that we can focus on Texas, so what are people complaining about?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;224907 said:
What is wrong with making a push into Texas for recruits? I don't see in the article where it said we are giving up on the players in Fla so that we can focus on Texas, so what are people complaining about?

Plainly and simply Texas kids are't Florida kids. The University of Texas has been pulling the top talent from Texas for the last 10 years and they suck.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;224883 said:
That's the way it is for a new coach. If the last guy hadn't effed it up, he wouldn't have been fired. SOS had the same handicap and brought in a class that won 4 SECs and 1 NC. Meyer brought in the guys that won 2 SECs and 2 NCs.

Either they get this staff gets their recruiting mojo, and fast, or they end up like Soon and Chimp. This weight til 2017 for a good class and wait til 2020 til we are decent again theory won't fly. Champions get it done. Losers make excuses.

I think I will start seeing some commits after Florida Friday Night Lights.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n224917 said:
Plainly and simply Texas kids are't Florida kids. The University of Texas has been pulling the top talent from Texas for the last 10 years and they suck.

But as long as it is not getting in the way of our recruiting in Florida, shouldn't it be ok to recruit in Texas?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have a limited amount of recruiters, a limited number of on campus visits, and a limited amount of time to recruit. I have doubts about our ability to pull top Texas recruits away from UT, Okie, ATM, and all the other competitors. I will be real surprised if we land any of those kids. I personally would focus on attacking Florida and trying to fix those relationships that have been destroyed in the last decade. If we pull a few top recruits from Texas, it will be a big coup.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n224920 said:
You have a limited amount of recruiters, a limited number of on campus visits, and a limited amount of time to recruit. I have doubts about our ability to pull top Texas recruits away from UT, Okie, ATM, and all the other competitors. I will be real surprised if we land any of those kids. I personally would focus on attacking Florida and trying to fix those relationships that have been destroyed in the last decade. If we pull a few top recruits from Texas, it will be a big coup.

Wouldn't it be helpful to use the connection that Rumph and Shannon already have in Texas to pull some recruits? I do agree that Florida recruits are better than Texas ones, but I don't see the harm is using connections we already have set up.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n224922 said:
Wouldn't it be helpful to use the connection that Rumph and Shannon already have in Texas to pull some recruits? I do agree that Florida recruits are better than Texas ones, but I don't see the harm is using connections we already have set up.

We would be ecstatic if, from Texas, they pulled a couple of 5* athletes at positions of need.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n224927 said:
We would be ecstatic if, from Texas, they pulled a couple of 5* athletes at positions of need.

And it is impossible to do that if you don't even try.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n224929 said:
And it is impossible to do that if you don't even try.

…and our coaches have that awareness.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know that Law has said that about Cali players, but I don't remember him saying that about Texas players.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;224919 said:
But as long as it is not getting in the way of our recruiting in Florida, shouldn't it be ok to recruit in Texas?

Yes. There is nothing wrong with cherry picking Texas.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They've got connections and are using them. Smart decision imo. The majority of the class will still be from the state of Florida.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Texas only had 3 five stars last year - 1 went to UCLA, 1 to LSU and 1 to Texas. Seems light for Texas. CA & FL dominated with 7 & 10 respectively.

Looking at the list - the most fish and the biggest fish are here in FL.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n224959 said:
Texas only had 3 five stars last year - 1 went to UCLA, 1 to LSU and 1 to Texas. Seems light for Texas. CA & FL dominated with 7 & 10 respectively.

Looking at the list - the most fish and the biggest fish are here in FL.

Remind me, how many came to UF?

Ignoring talent, wherever it resides, is simply stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator