Satellite Camps...Sharing the love of football or recruiting tactic?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of course it's mostly about recruiting. Nobody is fooling anybody.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n236229 said:
Of course it's mostly about recruiting. Nobody is fooling anybody.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of B1G fans have a totally different perspective. Fans of schools in recruiting rich states obviously think it's skirting the recruiting rules.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I agree that it is first and foremost a recruiting tool, but I also agree with MJM that if I was supporting a school in a non-fertile state or region, I'd be pushing for the camps as well. You can put lipstick on the pig, but it's still going to be a pig - whether it is a travelling road show to high schools across the country, or if it is his 'elite QB' camp he's building per the article.

If I take a step back and ask 'where is the harm', I'm less inclined to be bitter about these tactics. I recognize football is a cut-throat industry, and every bit of leverage you can get is an advantage to be pushed to the max. But I don't feel like we'd lose that many kids that were coming to us, or that he'd pull in that many that he wouldn't have gotten anyway. Yes, it gets a little more ear time with the high talent kids, a chance to sway them, but of those he could flip wouldn't they have been flippable by FSU or others as well? The camps I find more threatening to recruiting than the 'elite QB' type event. For those 'elite' events, it isn't like he's going to recruit 8 QBs every year, and I see it as an honest to gosh way for the next generation to improve, an opportunity they haven't gotten to do that much of in the past. The kids want this type of opportunity to learn, to connect with peers and pros, to improve their own game and chances of recruitiment.

Perhaps a middle ground is to host these camps at NFL locations and have an open invite to X number of college coaches to attend. Nuetral grounds, and the kids get an inside look at an NFL setting. No coach is 'running it' and all coaches who choose to attend do so equally with the other coaches. You could have Saban and Meyer and Golden all present with the same chance to review kids and make connections AND be obligated to teach them. Maybe limit it to two coaches per school so they don't flood the event to block out other coaches. Maybe you only allow assitant coaches, and divvy it up like 6 OC's and 6 DC's, each OC/DC has a third of the offense/defense for a bit to run drills and coach them up then the group rotates to the next coach. Gets exposure both ways to as many kids and coaches as possible without giving an edge to one school over another. Granted, this wouldn't work everywhere, as there aren't Pro stadiums all over the place, nor could a school get coaches sent all over the place, but it's a nuetral approach and can shake itself out in terms of what coaches and kids are going to which events. For example, you know in Jax, MIA, or Tampa you would have a strong representation from FSU/MIA/UF and any other school trying to recruit the state, but for an event in Wyoming, maybe you get non-Power 5 coaches there or D2 coaches, as those are the schools those kids would be going to anyways. A lot of people won't like it, as it weakens the 'stranglehold' in-state schools believe they have on recruiting; but the fact is the elite kids are already going wherever they want, in state or out of state. And overall, I would like to believe this is better for the sport overall. Maybe not best for my school, but best overall. Just a thought. It would nuetralize the 'host school' recruiting advantage and level the recruiting field while helping a lot of young kids develop their game with a variety of coaching perspectives.

Actually, if the SEC teams weren't so uptight and frought with infighting, they could launch SEC camps like this (mixed coaching staffs) and keep MORE talent in our league while helping raise the performance of our lower tier schools. Nobody wants to share the field with other coaches, but this could be a boon for the league in setting such a precedent. Can you imagine 'SEC OL Camp', and 'SEC QB Camp', and 'SEC WR Camp'? Shares the expense, greatly broadens the brand reach, and builds more of a hold on the region's talent.

/sarcasm on

Well, we shouldn't be worried as he doesn't seem to be targetting our 3* kids anyway, and they could probably do with some NFL experienced coaching. Besides, the high quality southern kids aren't going to want to play in the snow anyway - they'd rather stay close to home, in the toughest league with the brightest spotlight. Essentially, it's a chance for him to see the awesome talent he's missing out on that we are getting, right?

/sarcasm off

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TLB said:

FIFM.

2nd Attempt:

Hold camps with coaches from multiple schools - equal chance at reviewing and chatting up recruits, get more coaching to the kids from different perspectives. Hold them on nuetral sites, mixed staff, and limited representation from any single school. BONUS - Have the SEC host such camps in the SE to maximize our brand and recruiting.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's bull****. What's next, are they gonna start flying fans down here and having games in the winter?

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n236262 said:
FIFM.

2nd Attempt:

Hold camps with coaches from multiple schools - equal chance at reviewing and chatting up recruits, get more coaching to the kids from different perspectives. Hold them on nuetral sites, mixed staff, and limited representation from any single school. BONUS - Have the SEC host such camps in the SE to maximize our brand and recruiting.

I proposed that the SEC run such in the backyard of any school that runs such in our area. Fair is fair if they want to run camps down here we run better ones there. As an SEC thing it can be on the SEC network as well, being on TV will be a great thing and encourage great players to participate.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The difference is we don't want a bunch of fat, slow Midwesterners. Neither does Bammer. We aren't going to Toledo to hold a camp.

Only by all the Sec schools invading Texass and Kali will this get fixed. So long as its just people poaching us our incompetent AD won't say a thing. He is also not going to run satellite camps but Bammer (and every other SEC school) will.

They will start w Florida though. It could get far, far worse before it gets better. We may not be in the top 10 schools even with in-state recruiting.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n236322 said:
The difference is we don't want a bunch of fat, slow Midwesterners. Neither does Bammer so we aren't going to Toledo to hold a camp.

Only by all the Sec schools invading Texass and Kali will this get fixed. So long as its just people poaching us our incompetent AD won't say a thing.

He is also not going to run satellite camps but Bammer will. They will start w Florida though. It could get far, far worse before it gets better.

Well the idea it to make them pay a price and to work together, not to get players who don't fit our style. Seems they do pretty well with some players from the Big 10 area, not all but some.

Perhaps the idea of not just getting even but getting ahead is foreign to you, but I bet not.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n236322 said:
The difference is we don't want a bunch of fat, slow Midwesterners. Neither does Bammer so we aren't going to Toledo to hold a camp.

Only by all the Sec schools invading Texass and Kali will this get fixed. So long as its just people poaching us our incompetent AD won't say a thing.

He is also not going to run satellite camps but Bammer will. They will start w Florida though. It could get far, far worse before it gets better.

Hate to correct you, but the entire SEC had a discussion on this and none of the schools are happy about it. Nor is the ACC. I can see both sides of the argument, but at the end of the day I think we all know it's simply to gain as much leverage as possible in the recruiting wars.

Off topic a bit, I think Harbaugh is gonna stir it up a bit in the B1G. Not sure he'll be able to unseat Meyer and the Bucknuts for the top spot, but I think he'll do everything he can to give him hell.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alex, I have no idea what you mean.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n236258 said:
I agree that it is first and foremost a recruiting tool, but I also agree with MJM that if I was supporting a school in a non-fertile state or region, I'd be pushing for the camps as well. You can put lipstick on the pig, but it's still going to be a pig - whether it is a travelling road show to high schools across the country, or if it is his 'elite QB' camp he's building per the article.

If I take a step back and ask 'where is the harm', I'm less inclined to be bitter about these tactics. I recognize football is a cut-throat industry, and every bit of leverage you can get is an advantage to be pushed to the max. But I don't feel like we'd lose that many kids that were coming to us, or that he'd pull in that many that he wouldn't have gotten anyway. Yes, it gets a little more ear time with the high talent kids, a chance to sway them, but of those he could flip wouldn't they have been flippable by FSU or others as well? The camps I find more threatening to recruiting than the 'elite QB' type event. For those 'elite' events, it isn't like he's going to recruit 8 QBs every year, and I see it as an honest to gosh way for the next generation to improve, an opportunity they haven't gotten to do that much of in the past. The kids want this type of opportunity to learn, to connect with peers and pros, to improve their own game and chances of recruitiment.

Perhaps a middle ground is to host these camps at NFL locations and have an open invite to X number of college coaches to attend. Nuetral grounds, and the kids get an inside look at an NFL setting. No coach is 'running it' and all coaches who choose to attend do so equally with the other coaches. You could have Saban and Meyer and Golden all present with the same chance to review kids and make connections AND be obligated to teach them. Maybe limit it to two coaches per school so they don't flood the event to block out other coaches. Maybe you only allow assitant coaches, and divvy it up like 6 OC's and 6 DC's, each OC/DC has a third of the offense/defense for a bit to run drills and coach them up then the group rotates to the next coach. Gets exposure both ways to as many kids and coaches as possible without giving an edge to one school over another. Granted, this wouldn't work everywhere, as there aren't Pro stadiums all over the place, nor could a school get coaches sent all over the place, but it's a nuetral approach and can shake itself out in terms of what coaches and kids are going to which events. For example, you know in Jax, MIA, or Tampa you would have a strong representation from FSU/MIA/UF and any other school trying to recruit the state, but for an event in Wyoming, maybe you get non-Power 5 coaches there or D2 coaches, as those are the schools those kids would be going to anyways. A lot of people won't like it, as it weakens the 'stranglehold' in-state schools believe they have on recruiting; but the fact is the elite kids are already going wherever they want, in state or out of state. And overall, I would like to believe this is better for the sport overall. Maybe not best for my school, but best overall. Just a thought. It would nuetralize the 'host school' recruiting advantage and level the recruiting field while helping a lot of young kids develop their game with a variety of coaching perspectives.

Actually, if the SEC teams weren't so uptight and frought with infighting, they could launch SEC camps like this (mixed coaching staffs) and keep MORE talent in our league while helping raise the performance of our lower tier schools. Nobody wants to share the field with other coaches, but this could be a boon for the league in setting such a precedent. Can you imagine 'SEC OL Camp', and 'SEC QB Camp', and 'SEC WR Camp'? Shares the expense, greatly broadens the brand reach, and builds more of a hold on the region's talent.

/sarcasm on

Well, we shouldn't be worried as he doesn't seem to be targetting our 3* kids anyway, and they could probably do with some NFL experienced coaching. Besides, the high quality southern kids aren't going to want to play in the snow anyway - they'd rather stay close to home, in the toughest league with the brightest spotlight. Essentially, it's a chance for him to see the awesome talent he's missing out on that we are getting, right?

/sarcasm off

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are ...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n236331 said:
Hate to correct you, but the entire SEC had a discussion on this and none of the schools are happy about it....
Bammer and Company want Creyer out of Florida OR THEY WANT IN. Make no mistake about it. They've been kicking our azz in our own state for a decade now, and Clowns are even worse now. I can't imagine how bad it will be with Bammer and Barn having camps in every county if given their way. They can't keep Creyer and Harballs out, so guess what will happen. I suspect we will be the only no vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator