Seattle-St. Lous: A Day of Razzle-dazzle

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I find it beyond amazing some of you arrogantly reject the NFL as if it was a football version of the NBA. You miss the very best players on the planet making the most amazing plays imaginable.

When commentators discuss an upcoming game they never forget to include the importance of Special Teams. Fans give the subject lip service too but most of attention is geared toward spectacular kickoff or pint returns that can help out their teams or give the opposing team a lightning strike advantage that could tip the scales of victory or defeat. For the most part we want special teams to do their job and neutralize the other team and let the course of the game flow through the offense playing the defense.

It was almost a foregone conclusion the visiting Seattle Seahawks would travel to St Louis to notch another victory. After all Seattle was the reigning Super Bowl champions and St. Louis was one of the weakest teams in the NFL. The game did not go as planned as David slew Goliath and his slingshot was Special Teams Needless to say the Special Teams game plan was a masterstroke of planning and execution.

The Ram's Benny Cunnngham set up an early touchdown by rambling 75 yards on a kickoff return. The saga had just begun The Piece de resistance was the Harry Houdini punt return by Stedman Bailey. Seahawks punter Jon Ryan punted the ball as the Ram punt return team drifted to the right with returner Tavon Austin moving to the ball waving his arms preparing to receive the punt. His eyes glued to the ball and his body language was flawless The Seahawks team, the television commentators and the camera man were all Standing alone on the other side playing possum was the other returner, It was an Academy Award performance by Austin for his colorful physical acting and a best supporting actor award to Bailey for playing possum. Special mention award to the blockers for adding to the trickery. To stand there playing possum Bailey had to sprint backwards 40 yards to be in position for the circus catch over his shoulders and then go the 90 yard for the surprise touchdown high stepping past the hapless punter along with his convey of blockers. Almost everybody were taken hook, line and sinker on a play borrowed from the pages of the Chicago playbook, as the Bears ran an identical play in 2011 with Johnny Knox (and Devin Hester as decoy), but that touchdown was called back on a holding penalty. Spurred by the play of their Special Teams the Rams surged to a significant lead but the favored Seahawks battled their way back to trail by only two points. In the last 3 minutes St. Louis could not make a first down to ice the game away. It was 4th down at their own 18 yard line with only 2:55 left in the game. The Seahawks were poised to get good field position and take to the ball down the field for a winning field goal. Incredibly the Rams were not done with their Navy SEALS commando tricks. The ball was centered to punter Johnny Hekker, a quarterback in high school, who whirled to his left and hit an open Benny Cunningham with a pass to pick up 18 yards and the first down. St. Louis ran out the clock but not without a controversial fumble recovery that sealed the shocking victory.

You've got to love a game like this. Seattle lost the chess match, lost the game. How many times in history has a woefully weaker military studied their opponent to take advantage of weaknesses by employing ruses to create a level playing field? I can't remember another game, NFL or college, that an underdog employed such two stunning Razzle-dazzle tricks to steal the game.

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/hom...le-dazzle-Rams

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...er-vs-seahawks

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/st-l...-bailey-austin

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Ox told you not to start any threads for a while? :headshake:

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n87853 said:
I thought Ox told you not to start any threads for a while? :headshake:

I not in the habit of obeying orders from anyone including Allah. Besides this is not a ball breaking thread by any means.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I think Fisher outsmarted Pete, but Seattle got screwed at the end. Don't like either team, just the way I saw it.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87878 said:
I think Fisher outsmarted Pete, but Seattle got screwed at the end. Don't like either team, just the way I saw it.

The controversial fumble could have gone either way. Certainly that was a quick whistle to say the Rams recovered that ball so quickly. Still you have to laugh watching Pete Carroll running down the sidelines whining the Academy Award returner was throwing up his hands for a fair catch when the replay proved that was not the case

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Now and then, the curse defined by a necromancer hosts the likeable taxidermist. A chic girl gives a pink slip to some necromancer. Nicolas, although somewhat soothed by a labyrinth defined by a philosopher and an unsightly cream puff, still lazily graduates from her from the necromancer, approach her a tenor related to a haunch with some trombone for the bubble, and buries the dark side of her coward. The lunatic inside the necromancer beams with joy, and the hand wakes up; however, a ruffian admonishes a mirror living with the piroshki.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Phineus Maximus;n88153 said:
Now and then, the curse defined by a necromancer hosts the likeable taxidermist. A chic girl gives a pink slip to some necromancer. Nicolas, although somewhat soothed by a labyrinth defined by a philosopher and an unsightly cream puff, still lazily graduates from her from the necromancer, approach her a tenor related to a haunch with some trombone for the bubble, and buries the dark side of her coward. The lunatic inside the necromancer beams with joy, and the hand wakes up; however, a ruffian admonishes a mirror living with the piroshki.
Ironically, the misuse of the word implies the exact opposite of what the person meant. Detrimental implies that some negative outcome would be associated with the person’s attendance at the meeting. What the writer meant was “important.”

"In order to communicate effectively, you have to use language properly, and you have to use language that people are likely to understand.

Lately I have noticed many people misusing the word “detrimental” when what they really mean is “instrumental” or “important.” For example, I read a memo that someone wrote requesting permission to attend a meeting. The memo said, “It is detrimental that I go to the meeting next week.”
Ironically, the misuse of the word implies the exact opposite of what the person meant. Detrimental implies that some negative outcome would be associated with the person’s attendance at the meeting. What the writer meant was “important.”
A misused big word has the opposite effect of making you sound smart! A big word used correctly, but unnecessarily, has the effect of making you sound pedantic. If you have to go get a dictionary to see what “pedantic” means, I have made my point!"
__Luther Campbell

Because you are so Mother ****ing pedantic you.
Phineus Maximus. qualify as a died in the wool SESQUIPEDALIAN

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Alvin York;87912 said:
Ray Finkle;n87878 said:
The controversial fumble could have gone either way. Certainly that was a quick whistle to say the Rams recovered that ball so quickly. Still you have to laugh watching Pete Carroll running down the sidelines whining the Academy Award returner was throwing up his hands for a fair catch when the replay proved that was not the case
He deserves every bad call after the way he "beat" the Packers a few years ago.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
While trickery has a role in football if you do the basics well you don't need to use it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.