Seau's family barred from talking at HOF Induction

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I've taken too many hits to the head, but I still don't get how families feel they needed to be forewarned that repeatedly getting your head bashed in is not healthy for the brain.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure they don't want it to turn into a sideshow on the dangers of concussions. Smart move if you ask me.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Telling them to STFU is a fantastic move. Kudos to the HOF folks.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
At least they are consistent in their policy:

In 2011, no one spoke for Les Richter, a linebacker with the Los Angeles Rams who died a year earlier.

Seau’s video tribute will be five minutes, two minutes longer than for living inductees.
It will include parts of an interview his daughter gave to NFL Network before she learned that no one would be making a speech.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I certainly don't disagree with this move by the HOF. It is a smart move on their part to head off any crazy stunt that may have been planned by his daughter to use the speech as a platform for their lawsuit.
That being said, it is a shame that Junior took his own life. He was always one of my favorite defensive players. I loved the way he played the game with total abandon and lack of concern for his own well being. Unfortunately that is what did him in.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good move by the HOF. No need for this to be a sideshow. Not the right place or time for anyone to do this at the induction.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Heaven forbid the deceased' daughter cause the NFL a "sideshow."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Seau was told in advance of all the possible ramifications of playing pro football including death, he STILL would have signed up. It's not like it's a secret that football is a dangerous and violent sport. Studies on concussions have been around and available for anyone to read for decades. I don't remember hearing about his extended family begging him to stop playing when he was on top of the world and they were benefitting from the millions he was making. Their lawsuit rings pretty hollow.

Life is about choices. I chose to play football even after injuries and knee surgery. If I suffer the ramifications for that such as knee replacement later in life that is my problem. Just like people who choose to smoke. If you get cancer you can't go pointing to everybody else for blame.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n252272 said:
If you get cancer you can't go pointing to everybody else for blame.

What f'n country do you think you live in? This is liberal America. Everybody else is always to blame. The buck stops with anybody but yourself.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Librawls would smoke other people's cigarettes and expect other people to get the cancer.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently this rule has been on the books since 2010. But I could understand them making an exception for his daughter to speak. No matter what decision the NFL makes, it is going wrong to someone.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n252648 said:
Apparently this rule has been on the books since 2010. But I could understand them making an exception for his daughter to speak. No matter what decision the NFL makes, it is going wrong to someone.

It's not the NFL's decisions...it's the HOF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n252662 said:
It's not the NFL's decisions...it's the HOF.

Well, then the HOF decision. They can't win this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.