Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Ju...322505552.html
UPDATED
August 21, 2015
By Julie Montanaro

A jury is now sworn and ready to hear the case against FSU football player Dalvin Cook.
Cook is accused of punching a woman outside a bar.
Six jurors and one alternate are now sworn to hear the case against FSU football player Dalvin Cook.
Nearly all of the jurors on the panel said they'd heard about the case on the news - most said they were fsu fans - and one even works at the university.
"All we ask is that they set aside whatever they've heard and that they make a determination just on the evidence they hear in the courtroom on Monday," said prosecutor Sarah Kathryn Dugan.
The record setting FSU running back will stand trial Monday on misdemeanor battery charges. Cook is accused of punching a woman outside Clyde's and Costello's bar in June.
Both sides were quick to point out this is not the De'Andre Johnson punch caught on tape.
"Different night, different spot, different football player," Dugan stressed to the jury.
Attorneys questioned potential jurors for more than two hours.
One prospective juror was dismissed by the defense after saying she was disgusted by the 'glorification of football players.'
"It's more our society's perception of, you know, 'put the football player up here, and put the victim down there,' the woman said.
Prosecutors wanted to be sure none of the jurors would base their verdict on the prospect of Cook returning to the starting line up.
"Are any of you automatically going to come back with a verdict of "not guilty" just because Mr. Cook is an FSU football player?" Dugan asked.
The jury will return Monday morning to begin hearing from nearly a dozen witnesses who were there the night Cook is accused of throwing punches at a woman. It's an accusation Cook has denied since day one.
"We have an innocent football player who's being accused of attacking another person, and there's nothing else except testimony, so hopefully the jurors will be open they'll listen to testimony and they'll make the right decisions," defense attorney Ricky Patel said.
We will be in court Monday to cover the trial. We'll keep you posted on a verdict.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It sounds like this is rigged. They couldn't even get half of the jury to be non college football (FSU) fans and the prosecutor not getting rid of that university employee no matter how he answered the questions?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I expect the worst from the Criminole fan base which happened to be chosen for Jury Duty. Where is the prosecutor? He's probably a FSU fan as well. It kind of reminds me of the old days when black defendants were tried by an all white, racist jury. I can't see them convicting him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Man, that sure is an impartial jury there. Sounds like the pulled all the potential jurors from the FSUck Athletic Dept. I can already hear, "if the fist don't fit, you must acquit".

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Will he get a jury of his peers?
BLAK.jpg

or the general population?
clowns1.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Judge instructed the jurors "not to bring any pom-poms or maroon & gold glitter makeup".

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the whole point of a jury was to not have any information prior?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they should just have a team vote and be done with it. Save the Tax Payers some money.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxking;n264607 said:
I expect the worst from the Criminole fan base which happened to be chosen for Jury Duty. Where is the prosecutor? He's probably a FSU fan as well. It kind of reminds me of the old days when black defendants were tried by an all white, racist jury. I can't see them convicting him.

I read the prosecutor is a fairly new young attorney. . Regardless of age and experience the prosecutor works for Willie Meggs. It is often expedient to do certain things to keep one's job or at the least not have your bosses out to make your life miserable or curtail your career.. I think it is particularly so in Tallyland government.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No joke, I thought the bolded line in the OP was either added by Fever, or that this was actually an Onion article. How in the actual f*ck does a jury who is not only familiar with the case, but also fans of the team/player in question end up being the ones who decide this case? Mother of Christ. I hate Tallahassee. Burn it. Burn everything.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n264613 said:
Man, that sure is an impartial jury there. Sounds like the pulled all the potential jurors from the FSUck Athletic Dept. I can already hear, "if the fist don't fit, you must acquit".

Heard one woman was not chosen because she said she was sick and tired of athletes getting away with stuff they shouldn't.. I can understand the defense excluding her, but I don't get, given that, why being an FSU fan isn't equally cause for exclusion. Yes, the fix is in. The prosecution supposedly wanted to call Cook's roommate. I bet that would go well. Also it sucks that his history and some other evidence is not admitted. The judge ruled it was submitted too late. I'm sure it was an honest mistake by the SAO prosecutor.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Were you guys expecting anything less?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n264636 said:
Will he get a jury of his peers?
BLAK.jpg

or the general population?
clowns1.jpg

lol - the joke is that is about right it sounds like...

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Breaking: The courthouse has temporally moved to the big tent on Monday

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Are any of you automatically going to come back with a verdict of "not guilty" just because Mr. Cook is an FSU football player?" Dugan asked.

:facepalm:

ChompTown

G8R B8
Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2015
Gator Fever;n264596 said:
Nearly all of the jurors on the panel said they'd heard about the case on the news - most said they were fsu fans - and one even works at the university.

:nole: :bsflag:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
During Patel’s time with potential jurors, he presented a hypothetical scenario asking what would be needed to prove a 20-year-old body builder had hit a 5-year-old child multiple times.

I haven't seen the transcripts, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how the Defense attorney can get away with this in jury selection.

This does not bode well.

By the way, the Judge got his undergrad, masters, and law degree from FSU.

The Prosecutor was admitted to the bar 5-18-2012. Comes from a wealthy family. Not sure where she went to school, but her Mom went to FSU.

The Defense attorney did his undergrad at FSU.

One of the jurors is a former attorney and another juror lives near a coach of a separate FSU athletic team. The non-football coach has close ties to head football coach Jimbo Fisher. The juror said the relationship with the non-football coach would not influence his decision-making process during the trial.

One potential juror was stricken because she is related to state attorney Willie Meggs.

In a town known for its football fanaticism, representatives for Cook and the state diligently worked to weed out jurors who could be considered FSU fans.

At one point in the selection process, assistant state attorney Sarah Kathryn Dugan asked the 14 members of the jurors’ pool to raise their hands if they had never heard of Cook.

No potential jurors raised their hands.

This is nuts.

I thought the demand for speedy was to get a resolution before the season started, so Cook could play.

Now I'm thinking it was calculated to not give the Prosecutors enough time to get a real jury. Or at least give them an excuse for why they ended up with a jury this bad.

This could be a quick not guilty.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator