SI ragging on Foley

g8rgolfer

Nov 18, 2014
There are some truths to that story ... but there are also some fabrications.

As to the technique used to hire McElwain, Foley went public on purpose in order to put the pressure on CSU to fold on the buyout. They are coming off as a pouty little school girl right now to keep a coach that doesn't want to be there. Foley is not negotiating with CSU ... he negotiated with McElwain. Now it is up to McElwain and his attorneys to negotiate with CSU. With it in the public eye arena for all to see ... the pressure is on CSU to fold even though it appears it is on Foley and UF. Have a little patience on this one ...

On the subject of facilities ... we are falling behind and there is some truth behind the article on this topic. Foley needs to seriously think about some upgrades.

g8rgolfer

Nov 18, 2014
By the way ... Foley is on the move behind the curtains now with other plans. This is the way Foley does things ... he gets too cute in my opinion ... but it is how he operates. Jets have been turned into ghosts ....

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n124387 said:
I'm pretty sure no one on the GCMB writes for SI.

How certain of that are you? :suspect2:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty lazy writer if you ask me. Most of the info in that "article" came from internet chat boards where if you repeat the same speculation over and over again it becomes true. Like Foley missing out on Strong in 2010. Total bull$h!t. And what would have been the fan reaction if he had hired Mullen in 2010? No doubt a total revolt.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n124321 said:
In today's CFB world, not having an indoor practice facility somehow equates to having "bad facilities." :rolleyes:

I believe that the indoor practice facility has been approved. Besides, has Thamel ever set foot on our campus? The geography of putting up the IPF was daunting. The O'Dome, with its NCAA pool, volleyball, hoops, indoor track, and gymnastics, takes up space west of the stadium, along with the parking lot for it and the stadium. Then we have the baseball stadium due west of that. And the outdoor track and soccer stadium due west of that. All in one relatively small space. And the football practice fields are crammed into all of that. Ragging on the lack of an IPF, did he think we'd build one out near the Harn Performing Arts Center and bus the players to it when necessary? What a jerk.

As for the timing of Strong in 2010, again we have to presume that he would have left his employer (Louisville) just one year after they hired him as HC. Considering how loyal he felt to them, less than unlikely. And since Urban didn't tell anyone (well, his wife and probably Foley) about his chest spasms after the 2009 Bama SECCG, he didn't "resign" until later in December 2009, by that time Charlie had already sailed on to Louisville.

The only plausible thing he writes is that Foley should have fired Muschamp after last season. Given all of the unpredictable and crucial injuries (you just cannot make up how debilitated we were), I guess he felt that was a reason (and that he genuinely liked Muschmap) to give him one more chance. It didn't work.

As for the "I spy" nature of trying to acquire a new coach - in today's social media world (Facebook and Twitter didn't exist when Foley was hunting Meyer), unless you are the CIA or the NSA, you can't keep things secret, and even they're not perfect. With tools like Flight Aware (interesting that UAA took until last night to pull their planes' tail numbers off of it), we're all tracking university planes these days (or, at least those that really care or have nothing else to do) Other than the work Foley and his team did in-house in researching these coaches and vetting them through other sources (including agents and other coaches), it's impossible to keep something like this a secret, and Thamel should have known that.

I just think he's an idiot.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
g8rgolfer;n124432 said:
By the way ... Foley is on the move behind the curtains now with other plans. This is the way Foley does things ... he gets too cute in my opinion ... but it is how he operates. Jets have been turned into ghosts ....

With the recent turn of events this posts goes down as the biggest load of asshattery on GC.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n124762 said:
With the recent turn of events this posts goes down as the biggest load of asshattery on GC.

Go back and look at his full body of work. No surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.