So, Auburn fires it's DC and guess what name ESPN is throwing around

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You guys crack me up. No. 1, I don't give a crap how well his defenses stacked up at Auburn or Texas, they were STAUNCH here absent a decent offense to take the heat off. No. 2, KC, good God, have you not noticed how critical of Muschamp I've been over the past year, etc.? I'm speaking to what I believe is the truth.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The Barn, A&M, maybe USC have DC openings in the SEC. Dunce won't take a year off.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know what I was thinking last night watching Auburn rack up huge amounts or yardage against Alabama in the loss? That Meyer would have ultimately been successful at UF had he just chilled out and stuck to his original plan. Granted, he's no Malzahn when it comes to scheming offense, but with a decent offensive coordinator to translate the skilled position types he can recruit so well, our offense would have been right back in vogue in the SEC and killing people. And we'd be winning with solid defensive and special teams play.

Oh well for wistful thinking.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n119933]You guys crack me up. No. 1, I don't give a crap how well his defenses stacked up at Auburn or Texas, they were STAUNCH here absent a decent offense to take the heat off. No. 2, KC, good God, have you not noticed how critical of Muschamp I've been over the past year, etc.? I'm speaking to what I believe is the truth. [/QUOTE]

I can't honestly say I haven't been journaling your stance on Muschamp.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n119933]You guys crack me up. No. 1, I don't give a crap how well his defenses stacked up at Auburn or Texas, they were STAUNCH here absent a decent offense to take the heat off. No. 2, KC, good God, have you not noticed how critical of Muschamp I've been over the past year, etc.? I'm speaking to what I believe is the truth. [/QUOTE]

Unless you are pounding the keyboard calling Muschamp any horrible name you can think of and blaming him for every single world problem, you're automatically a "pumper". Figured you know this by now.

writing_process.gif

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Swamp Queen;n119943 said:
Unless you are pounding the keyboard calling Muschamp any horrible name you can think of and blaming him for every single world problem, you're automatically a "pumper". Figured you know this by now.

writing_process.gif
:therethere:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I dunno, I think '78 is right. Muschamp is a solid defensive mind that was undone here by his offenses. Heck, we were actually looking for our defense to score points two years ago. Consider the pressure our defenses were under each year here and the results they produced - with absolutely no offense to support it.

I think he'll do well at any of the openings mentioned above as he would be an improvement over what was there, and he'd be learning offensive philosophy and play calling from some pretty talented, accomplished coaching minds.

Guess that makes me a knob gobbler. Or a hobgoblin.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014

Agree with you. 2 years ago the D was phenomenal - excluding the bowl game. This year the D has been better than average. Our problem is not defense.

The D was pretty good at his year at LSU as I recall.

As to TX, when he left they sucked but prior years I think they were pretty good. TX ran a wide open offense so its not likely you are going to get a shut down defense.

Two out of three years at TX he was their they only lost 1 game. 2009 they beat OK by a similar margin as FL did in the national championship. 2006/2007 those were pretty respectable Auburn teams - one year only 2 losses. I don't recall any specifics about their defense.

So either Muschamp was a good defensive coordinator or lucky enough to keep getting hired by successful programs that made him look good.

The D wasn't the problem here. The problem for Muschamp was the offense, and I don't think Muschamp has really figured out in his head an overall philosophy. He came in wanting a ball control grind it out offense, but didn't have the personnel to do it. Then he flopped OC's a couple of times (or they left). Then he went with Roper and decided to go more wide open, but didn't have the personnel to do that, or enough time for the offense to figure it out.. For much of the time his chips were cashed in on a QB who just couldn't play on Saturdays.

Compare that to Stoops when he went to OK. In spite of being a D-Coor, he decided day one he wanted a wide open offense,and has always stuck with it, for better or for worse. Or Saban, who has generally went with a conservative offense from day one. Each has their own core philosophy that they stuck with and recruited to, so that when OC's inevitably leave it wasn't the end of the world and it wasn't like starting from scratch again.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
After what Bama did to his "staunch" D he probably would not want to face that every year.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If our defense here wasn't outstanding, we'd have lost 10 games every year for the last four years because the offense has been completely MIA. Hell, even missing would be an improvement at times when we gift so many scores to the other team. 119 total yards given up to Mizzou and we were losing 42-0. Most amazing offensive assclownery I've ever witnessed, bar none.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This makes sense. I heard he had pretty much agreed to aTm then got cold feet. Perhaps this is why.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Zambo;n120026 said:
If our defense here wasn't outstanding, we'd have lost 10 games every year for the last four years because the offense has been completely MIA. Hell, even missing would be an improvement at times when we gift so many scores to the other team. 119 total yards given up to Mizzou and we were losing 42-0. Most amazing offensive assclownery I've ever witnessed, bar none.

:lmao:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget the FSU game at The Swamp in 2011. 95 total yards for FSU, but only 184 for UF that night. The crapfest Duncechamp offensive mastery started in year one.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
When you think about how badly the secondary was getting torched on a regular basis back in September, and then they just gave Sh*thead his worst performance of his career last night, I think you could say Muschamp got them on the right track. I know people would rather cut vital organs out with soup spoons than admit WM did anything good here, but you can't say the defense wasn't consistently one of the best in the country the last four years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mushchimp is a good to great DC. He is sometimes inconsistent but I can't think of any better than him off the top of my head.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No surprise that his name is coming up for DC positions.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
L-boy;n119999 said:
Agree with you. 2 years ago the D was phenomenal - excluding the bowl game. This year the D has been better than average. Our problem is not defense.

The D was pretty good at his year at LSU as I recall.

As to TX, when he left they sucked but prior years I think they were pretty good. TX ran a wide open offense so its not likely you are going to get a shut down defense.

Two out of three years at TX he was their they only lost 1 game. 2009 they beat OK by a similar margin as FL did in the national championship. 2006/2007 those were pretty respectable Auburn teams - one year only 2 losses. I don't recall any specifics about their defense.

So either Muschamp was a good defensive coordinator or lucky enough to keep getting hired by successful programs that made him look good.

The D wasn't the problem here. The problem for Muschamp was the offense, and I don't think Muschamp has really figured out in his head an overall philosophy. He came in wanting a ball control grind it out offense, but didn't have the personnel to do it. Then he flopped OC's a couple of times (or they left). Then he went with Roper and decided to go more wide open, but didn't have the personnel to do that, or enough time for the offense to figure it out.. For much of the time his chips were cashed in on a QB who just couldn't play on Saturdays.

Compare that to Stoops when he went to OK. In spite of being a D-Coor, he decided day one he wanted a wide open offense,and has always stuck with it, for better or for worse. Or Saban, who has generally went with a conservative offense from day one. Each has their own core philosophy that they stuck with and recruited to, so that when OC's inevitably leave it wasn't the end of the world and it wasn't like starting from scratch again.

This was well said

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I think AU would be much more formidable with Muschamp as DC and recruiter. Malzahn is the HC with a clue. That would be
a good team. I'm not sure Muschamp wants to be a coordinator again. Maybe HC on a smaller level school.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's a lot of internet smoke that Muschamp may end up in South Carolina as DC/Head coach in waiting and take over for SOS in 2-3 years. Not sure how legit but regardless it seems the dude has options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator