SOS players and others tell their stories

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is one of a whole series of stories on you tube. Hearing other stories about the 'Head Ball Coach' never gets old.

There is even one with Dabo

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I was hoping that Gatorchatter posters would share their own SOS stories and/or stories they have heard

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In one of Batesy’s videos, Doug Johnson is doing his best to imitate Spurrier chewing his @ss:

“Doug, if I had anybody else on the bench worth a shti you wouldn’t be playing!”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was hoping that Gatorchatter posters would share their own SOS stories and/or stories they have heard

I’ve shared before, but to me the quintessential Spurrier moment was after the ‘94 SEC championship game where he is being interviewed on the field about the thrilling finish. The first thing he thinks to say is he doesn’t understand why Eddie Lake intercepted the ball there on fourth down, and questioned why he and the other defense of backs hadn’t done that earlier. And it isn’t just coach speak. When they show the replay of Lake running with the ball following the pick, you can see Spurrier frantically telling him to get down, almost annoyed that he should have to tell him that. All this after a game sealing pick. That’s what made him great. He never stopped coaching or caring about the attention to detail, no matter the moment, score or circumstances and insisted on perfection at all times, even if he would never actually get it. That’s Steve Spurrier to me.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always enjoyed the post game interview Steve did on the field at the conclusion of the Gator Bowl game ending the’92 season.
UF was beating NC State handily late in the fourth quarter when SOS calls a deep pass play for a touchdown to cap off the game much to the anger of the NC State coaching staff that was now quite pissed at Spurrier for running up the score.
As soon as the gun sounds for the end of the game, the ESPN sideline reporter grabs SOS and she congratulates him on the victory and then quickly transitioned to “Coach, the NC State coaching staff is quite upset with you about that long pass for a touchdown at the end since the outcome had already been decided, what would you say?”
Without hesitating for a second Steve replied “Yes well they were still blitzing our quarterback so we responded.”
The reporter was speechless.

This defined his approach completely.
Sportsmanship is a two way street and if you want to poke me in the chest, I will poke you back and make sure everyone knows what happened.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
After watching the video read the first comment below
to watch the video you have to click the 'watch on youtube' button

Gatormb

Jul 26, 2018
Was at UF from 72-76. 75-76 I played city softball for WW Gay. Teams were allowed max 2 students.

The team was mostly ex Spurrier teammates of which my favorite was Wayne Barfield who I recently met for breakfast a few years ago. Steve stopped by and played with us on the way from San Francisco to the Bucs.

Later played golf with him at Gator Creek in Sarasota when he was coaching UF.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Was at UF from 72-76. 75-76 I played city softball for WW Gay. Teams were allowed max 2 students.

The team was mostly ex Spurrier teammates of which my favorite was Wayne Barfield who I recently met for breakfast a few years ago. Steve stopped by and played with us on the way from San Francisco to the Bucs.

Later played golf with him at Gator Creek in Sarasota when he was coaching UF.

Tell us some stories about the Head Ball Coach

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Years ago when Spurrier was off-season traveling the state Gator Alumni Clubs, I played in one of the fundraiser golf tourneys, this one at Gateway in Ft Myers. After the tournament there was a cocktail hour, giving away prizes for closest to the pin, long-drive, etc. Steve stood up to speak to the gathering and had one of those small trash cans made to look like a golf bag filled with small footballs which he would sign and toss out to the crowd--you could "catch a pass from Steve Spurrier!" When the golf-theme trash can was empty, Spurrier said "I'd like to thank Coach Terry Bowden (Auburn's coach at the time) for lending me his golf bag for this event"

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
At another Gator Gathering in Ft Myers, the event held at a hotel resort. The main event was dinner, speeches, Q&A with Gator coaches. An early 'happy hour' was set up in the bar for thirsty Gators. The window to the bar area looked out over the pool, where Spurrier was swimming laps by himself. When he finished, he dried off then headed to a glass door entrance from the pool area to the bar--where you could get to the elevators nearby. The door was locked from the outside, and I happened to be standing nearby. He jiggled the door a few times looking annoyed and I stepped over and pushed it open only a few inches and said "hey, this is a closed event...wuddya want?" A smile and a chuckle and he was on his way. I figured getting yelled at would be worth it, but he seemed to appreciate the line.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops is visiting this week
Dang if Spurdog looks like he need a man-bra
He’s closing in on 80. It’s called gravity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.