Sous Vide cooking, What are the Pros and Cons?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Do you use an immersion circulator cooker or do you use an "Insta-Pot" dealie?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The texture is the biggest drawback in my opinion
texture? It's my understanding the texture is controlled by how long you cook it. I have only cooked 2 tough ass london broils. One for 16 hours and the other for 24 hours both at 140 degrees. Both were a nice medium and the 24 was more tender. I've read that cooking too long will make it too tender?

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
texture? It's my understanding the texture is controlled by how long you cook it. I have only cooked 2 tough ass london broils. One for 16 hours and the other for 24 hours both at 140 degrees. Both were a nice medium and the 24 was more tender. I've read that cooking too long will make it too tender?

Yeah I’ve had a problem with the meat being too soft for my liking...and the texture slightly off...but I like my roasts and most meat more of a sirloin type texture than a filet

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’m intrigued but not enough to try it because of the upfront cost to find out it’s possibly not for me. Already invested in other things like the ninja foodi and several pressure cookers. I’d like to hear more though about how it’s done.

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No to sous vide, having watched the process it seems to clinical for my taste. Have an instapot and have used it to do chicken and a pork roast a couple of times. Not a huge fan.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I’ve had a problem with the meat being too soft for my liking...and the texture slightly off...but I like my roasts and most meat more of a sirloin type texture than a filet
#metoo

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I was given an instapot as a gift a few years back. I only used it a couple of times. Same with crackpots... and food processors ... and juicers ... and ... lol.

Grill, smoke, airfry, bake ... I leave the appliances in storage.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
One concern that I had about sous vide is the thought of cooking in plastic. Trying to become more aware of not heating things in the microwave in plastic too. We still use ziploc bags and plastic water bottles but always wondered if there was an issue with plastic leaching chemicals. You can drive yourself crazy going overboard with those questions and concerns. Just a thought.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I have yet to get an air fryer...I cook most of my meat on a large flat skillet and it turns out amazing...I can control the heat and even so steak like a pan fry with the butter mushrooms and onions

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I have yet to get an air fryer...I cook most of my meat on a large flat skillet and it turns out amazing...I can control the heat and even so steak like a pan fry with the butter mushrooms and onions
I use the air fryer for chicken wings and fries. Thats pretty much it. Can't beat the convenience (imo) for chicken wings.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
I use the air fryer for chicken wings and fries. Thats pretty much it. Can't beat the convenience (imo) for chicken wings.

I need to get one because my wife loves tater tots n we need to cut down the fried foods

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I need to get one because my wife loves tater tots n we need to cut down the fried foods

slice potatoes any way you want, cover in olive oil and seasoning and air fry it for 20-25 minutes! So good

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After reviewing the considerable amount of research that’s been done, we believe the answer is: It’s safe. Although some types of plastic have been found to release undesirable chemicals into food, especially under high heat or acidic conditions, the bags that we use for sous vide cooking are not among those plastics.

High-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene, and polypropylene are considered the safest plastics. Many name-brand plastic bags are made with polyethylene and polypropylene. These types of plastic are resistant to the sub-boiling temperatures involved in sous vide cooking, and they are also considered safe in and of themselves: Even if you cut up and ate a polyethylene bag, there’s no toxicity risk.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why don't I make a thread on Air Fryers and then one on Insta-pots.

Next I could do one on cast iron frying pans. Are they safe? Montezuma's Revenge and too much iron intake for men... :waiting:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Crock pots are most ppls speed
My wife has been in the hospital for the last 6 months and I have been doing most of the cooking for the last year. I recently bought my self a do-all pot, air fryer, insta-pot, crock pot and a Sous Vide all in one. I have some interesting things that I can do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.