Special Teams--CoOrdination/Operation

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Greg Nord is the special teams and tight-ends coach and seems to be doing a great job with the tight ends which may be taking all of his time, but special teams are a wreck and will soon cost us wins at the rate things are proceeding.

Delay of game on a FG try is just not acceptable operation and will lead to further red zone failures.

Townsend seems to have forgotten how to punt, except for the one nice stick vs KY, and looks like his timing is just totally screwed up. Has he always been a one step punter with us?

Hardin has snakes in his head and is even shanking extra points. When he adjusted after shanked field goals he went wide right. There must be a better kicker on campus than Hardin for field goals.

The kick off returner would be much better off to let it go through the end zone and let it come out to the 25 yard line in almost every single case....starting at the 5 or 6 yard line is a possession killer with an offense like ours.

Who is coaching this critical part of the team, a G.A. it would seem?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LagoonGator68;n282211 said:
Greg Nord is the special teams and tight-ends coach and seems to be doing a great job with the tight ends which may be taking all of his time, but special teams are a wreck and will soon cost us wins at the rate things are proceeding.

Delay of game on a FG try is just not acceptable operation and will lead to further red zone failures.

Townsend seems to have forgotten how to punt, except for the one nice stick vs KY, and looks like his timing is just totally screwed up. Has he always been a one step punter with us?

Hardin has snakes in his head and is even shanking extra points. When he adjusted after shanked field goals he went wide right. There must be a better kicker on campus than Hardin for field goals.

The kick off returner would be much better off to let it go through the end zone and let it come out to the 25 yard line in almost every single case....starting at the 5 or 6 yard line is a possession killer with an offense like ours.

Who is coaching this critical part of the team, a G.A. it would seem?

Ummmm, actually Mac is in charge of Special teams, but you are right about how they're playing. I watched Hardin's foot placement on the replays and his steps or timing is way off.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n282235 said:
Ummmm, actually Mac is in charge of Special teams, but you are right about how they're playing. I watched Hardin's foot placement on the replays and his steps or timing is way off.

Greg NordTight Ends/Special Teams Coordinator

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My bad, I thought I heard Mac say back in the spring that he would be coaching ST.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n282238 said:
My bad, I thought I heard Mac say back in the spring that he would be coaching ST.

Hopefully, he will start doing it today. Urbie obsessed on it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I started sweating a little last night every time we reached the red zone. No matter how good our offense is down the road there will always be a game in the SEC where missing/making a FG will win or lose you a game....It's also disheartening as hell for a young offense to come away with nothing for their efforts.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n282244 said:
I started sweating a little last night every time we reached the red zone. No matter how good our offense is down the road there will always be a game in the SEC where missing/making a FG will win or lose you a game....It's also disheartening as hell for a young offense to come away with nothing for their efforts.

Or for a defense that gives you the ball in the red zone and you get zip.sh!t out of it....

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
The return game has looked pretty solid with guys like VHIII, Powell, and Calloway.

Not looking like we'll be getting any punt blocks anytime soon. Really appreciated how Meyer made that a big part of Special Teams play.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n282250 said:
The return game has looked pretty solid with guys like VHIII, Powell, and Calloway.

Not looking like we'll be getting any punt blocks anytime soon. Really appreciated how Meyer made that a big part of Special Teams play.

Taking a knee and starting at the 25 yard line under the new rules allows you to run the entire spectrum of your offense without fear of having to do anything but flip the field with a good punt if you don't get a first down....starting at your own 6 on your first possession, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.