Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Same same.

Or stop routes.

Or curl.

Or 4 route.

I know some would consider a hitch route shorter than button hook but it depends on the coaching vernacular and maybe some slight minor variations on footwork.
What’s that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not a single chance that he starts

:grin:
i see what you did there bill hader GIF

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of injured players?

But the backups are "impressing the coaches."

And hungry. Some of them have to be hungry because you know they're getting in the buffet line behind Big Des.
And a lot of shoulders among them.

Jacob Rudner at 247 indicated that the injuries were part of the reason Hocke got reassigned.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GIUuuMQXUAAP3XI

Throwing from the belt line is a real problem. It slows down the entire motion and makes it easier to get strip sacked. I hope we are all over this and this is just a warmup but Ive seen it in HS game clips a lot too. If I were the QB coach it would bother me more than the semi side-armed stuff he did.

quarterback-danny-wuerffel-of-the-florida-gators-drops-back-to-pass-during-a-game-against-the.jpg

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Tebow do something similar ?
Drop the ball to his waist? No. His motion was weird though. Sort of a javenile toss. I swear all lefthanders look weird throwing the ball though.

Some things are hard to overcome though, such as a slow motion and dropping the ball to the waist is one of the slowest.

Last edited:

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
GIUuuMQXUAAP3XI

Throwing from the belt line is a real problem. It slows down the entire motion and makes it easier to get strip sacked. I hope we are all over this and this is just a warmup but Ive seen it in game clips a lot too. If I were the QB coach it would bother me more than the semi side-armed stuff he did.

quarterback-danny-wuerffel-of-the-florida-gators-drops-back-to-pass-during-a-game-against-the.jpg
1710161705552.jpeg
Giraffe motion

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Same same.

Or stop routes.

Or curl.

Or 4 route.

I know some would consider a hitch route shorter than button hook but it depends on the coaching vernacular and maybe some slight minor variations on footwork.

Improvement in this area requires talent and commitment.

There are guys who play wide receiver and then there are wide receivers.

Guys who play wide receiver are able to catch balls thrown at their hands while they're mostly facing their QB. This is not difficult.

Wide receivers are able to catch balls thrown over their shoulders while their QB can read the name on the back of their jersey. That's a different skill and a lot harder to learn. That's what made Ben Troupe so deadly. He could make those over-the-shoulder catches when many NFL tight ends could not. How many TDs did Danny throw on fades/corner routes or on Mills play? How many did Jabbar Gaffney catch over his career? It's about timing, ball placement, and trust. It's about the QB and the receiver and their chemistry. We haven't had a lot of receivers who could consistently make those catches in recent years.

A high school team can complete a bunch of bubble screens or button hooks and a talented receiver can turn it into a big play; but you need a lot of practice and timing to hit Mills play.

Caleb Douglas was our best at those kind of routes last year. He'll be playing for Texas Tech. Our next best was Pearsall (who wasn't good at it). He'll be playing in the NFL.

We've got a stable of fast receivers. Two questions: 1, are they capable of making that catch (it's a skill some can never master) and 2, will the QB and the receiver put in the reps (many, many of them) to make these routes effective?

I don't know.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Burke, Mizell and Jean all have the look of potentially great WRs for us. I look forward to trying to locate them along the sidelines this season as walkon’s and soon-to-transfer 2*’s start in their place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator