Spring Practice thread: Report: OT Noah Banks has been cleared to play

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We have plenty of skinny, 50 pounds underweight Rushbacker/DEs.

I know that....but if we're going to play them I'd like the best "skinny, 50lbs underweight Rushbacker/DE" to be on the field. And talk from the players is Moon was ready to become that player.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just glad we have depth back again. The pure idiocy of a few years back people trying to compare Trask and Franks when Franks ran with the ones and played against literal walk ons due to depth and Trask had walk on lineman on his line while facing the first team defense. I'd like to say that was the most embarrassed I've been with the Gator media, but I'd be lying.

At least now we can have full 1's and 2's without walk-ons and less noticeable of a drop. Hell, besides maybe O-line, which will have true freshman and some upperclassmen, I feel perfectly fine with the second team offense. I'd assume Jones/Trask with Davis or Pierce, Krull, Copeland, One of Swain/Grimes/Hammond, etc. Defense, you have some hungry young LB's like little Reese, Zach Carter (may end up first team), the EE's, and I'd say enough that the 2nd team D may be as good as Miami's first team D.

I doubt 2nd team D is a good as Miami's starting D as they are bringing back all their LBs and are getting a bunch of D line transfers(3) supposedly that can play right away. 2 of those transfers are really good when they aren't being kicked off the team or injured so they will probably be available for our game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I doubt 2nd team D is a good as Miami's starting D as they are bringing back all their LBs and are getting a bunch of D line transfers(3) supposedly that can play right away. 2 of those transfers are really good when they aren't being kicked off the team or injured so they will probably be available for our game.

Good points GF. I think we win the game, but I don't think it'll be easy. It's game 1, they have a new coach (and other assistants), they do have talent, we're breaking in a new OL, teams tend to play more fired up in these types of games, etc. Miami did sh*t the bed in game 1 last year though....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good points GF. I think we win the game, but I don't think it'll be easy. It's game 1, they have a new coach (and other assistants), they do have talent, we're breaking in a new OL, teams tend to play more fired up in these types of games, etc. Miami did sh*t the bed in game 1 last year though....

They might sh*t the bed but I could see them giving us fits possibly. They may have as many as 5 starters for that game from the transfer portal. If they can find anyone to play QB halfway decent I could see them being tough in that first game. Our tackles better be ready to go because they might have 2 transfers on the D line that can really get after the QB.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They might sh*t the bed but I could see them giving us fits possibly. They may have as many as 5 starters for that game from the transfer portal. If they can find anyone to play QB halfway decent I could see them being tough in that first game. Our tackles better be ready to go because they might have 2 transfers on the D line that can really get after the QB.

Well, I was agreeing w/ you on your first post....but remembered that they did sht the bed vs. LSU last year. I think they'll be a decent team. They have a weak schedule and if they get by us they could have a 10 win season easily. I'm sure we'll be ready for them, but I hope people aren't expecting a blowout win. The number of solid transfers they got this year is amazing.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Well, I was agreeing w/ you on your first post....but remembered that they did sht the bed vs. LSU last year. I think they'll be a decent team. They have a weak schedule and if they get by us they could have a 10 win season easily. I'm sure we'll be ready for them, but I hope people aren't expecting a blowout win. The number of solid transfers they got this year is amazing.

Yes but our OLine should even be better and our DBs should own the backfield.

With another year of S&C, Mullen able to expand the playbook and a new coach at the U...You can breathe easy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes but our OLine should even be better and our DBs should own the backfield.

With another year of S&C, Mullen able to expand the playbook and a new coach at the U...You can breathe easy.

I expect to win the game, don't get me wrong. But I still remember getting blown out at home by Missouri, and coming back from a huge deficit at home to South Carolina, and trailing Vandy like we were the SEC cellar-dwellers. I'm not sure how you think the OL will be better in game 1 when we're losing a 1st round draft pick, a 5-star 4-year starter, and two other starters (I think it could eventually be a wash....but not "better" in game 1, no way in hell). And if the OL is not 'better' opening the playbook may be a little harder than you think. Miami has a similar roster to ours. And Diaz may be the new head coach, but he's not 'new'. With all that said, I expect a big UF win....but a much closer game than 'breathing easy'.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I expect to win the game, don't get me wrong. But I still remember getting blown out at home by Missouri, and coming back from a huge deficit at home to South Carolina, and trailing Vandy like we were the SEC cellar-dwellers. I'm not sure how you think the OL will be better in game 1 when we're losing a 1st round draft pick, a 5-star 4-year starter, and two other starters (I think it could eventually be a wash....but not "better" in game 1, no way in hell). And if the OL is not 'better' opening the playbook may be a little harder than you think. Miami has a similar roster to ours. And Diaz may be the new head coach, but he's not 'new'. With all that said, I expect a big UF win....but a much closer game than 'breathing easy'.

I'll bet dinner in NO our OL is better next year. It's more talented and deeper.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Pro Day set for March 27th:

Cubelic: Florida's Pro Day set for March 27

Cubelic: Florida's Pro Day set for March 27

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida will have a number of high-caliber NFL Draft prospects looking to improve their stock ahead of April's draft, and it appears they now have a date they can focus on preparing for.

According to SEC Network analyst Cole Cubelic, Florida will host its annual Pro Day on campus on March 27. That lines up with the traditional UF schedule, falling right in the middle of the spring practice schedule.

The Gators have not yet announced a start date for spring practice, but sources have informed Swamp247 that it is likely to begin on March 13, barring any last-minute changes.

The Pro Day should offer several former Florida players the chance to showcase their skills in front of a packed house of scouts.

Already eight players are going to the NFL Combine, the second time in the last three years that Florida has had eight representatives participating in the NFL Combine. The Combine will take place from Feb. 26 to March 4 in Indianapolis, Ind.

Among those taking part will be junior running back Jordan Scarlett, senior offensive tackle Martez Ivey, junior offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor, senior offensive guard Fred Johnson, junior defensive end Jachai Polite, senior defensive end CeCe Jefferson, junior linebacker Vosean Joseph and junior nickelback Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.

The NFL officially announced those players as participants in the NFL Combine on Feb. 27.

Other players who aren't going to the NFL Combine but should get a chance to impress scouts at the March 27 Pro Day are wide receiver Dre Massey, tight end C'yontai Lewis, tight end Moral Stephens, offensive lineman Tyler Jordan and defensive tackle Khairi Clark.

In particular, Lewis and Jordan stand out as potential draftable players.

Lewis boasts terrific athleticism and is an excellent blocker at tight end. Though his hands were questionable at Florida, he should test quite well at Pro Day and teams will likely be intrigued by his mismatch potential.

Jordan, meanwhile, doesn't have the obvious NFL upside in terms of physicality for an offensive lineman. However, he was a Swiss Army knife of sorts on the line for the Gators over the past four years, showing the ability to play any position on the offensive line. That versatility could earn him a late flier if he can post decent Pro Day numbers.

Stephens is perhaps the real mystery in the Pro Day group, a guy that flourished in his final two seasons but doesn't jump out as an NFL type player.

Still, coaches and teammates were super high on his potential had he gotten more development early on in his Florida career.

"He's very athletic and has really good ball skills. I think one of the things is, when I got here, he was just underdeveloped," coach Dan Mullen said. "I looked at his numbers, his testing numbers in the weight room and I'm like, 'What have you done for the last couple of years?' He benched about the same as I did, and I run now. I don't lift as much anymore, you know. It's just not right.

"So he started training, and to be honest with you, you're starting to see now. It's a tragedy that we don't have him for longer, where he can get a real offseason to let his body develop. He might have a future even beyond this year if he decides to work at it. I think he's just scratching the surface for what his development could have been.

"He’s got really good hands, and he’s really athletic, really good ball skills and really athletic. Just didn’t train to the level he needed to be to be successful and be physical enough to play tight end."

Whether that message could resonate with NFL teams remains to be seen. But a solid Pro Day for Stephens certainly couldn't hurt.

Circle the date: March 27.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our tackles better be ready to go because they might have 2 transfers on the D line that can really get after the QB.
Who? That backup from Ucla? With two career sacks?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Moral Stephens:

coach Dan Mullen said. "I looked at his numbers, his testing numbers in the weight room and I'm like, 'What have you done for the last couple of years?' He benched about the same as I did, and I run now. I don't lift as much anymore, you know. It's just not right.

The McSharkfvkk years were a damn Greek trajedy.

Im just not sure what these kids were thinking though. If the Gators were providing yoga only surely they should have realized they needed to work out on their own.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Moral Stephens:

coach Dan Mullen said. "I looked at his numbers, his testing numbers in the weight room and I'm like, 'What have you done for the last couple of years?' He benched about the same as I did, and I run now. I don't lift as much anymore, you know. It's just not right.

The McSharkfvkk years were a damn Greek trajedy.

Im just not sure what these kids were thinking though. If the Gators were providing yoga only surely they should have realized they needed to work out on their own.
#selfsupplement

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who? That backup from Ucla? With two career sacks?

Nope the guy suspended from VT who is really good and the # 1 defensive recruit from a few years ago who has been injured most of his career at UCLA but when he did get on the field he showed he is pretty good at getting after the QB. They are also getting a few on offense that will be starters probably from that transfer portal.

It just sucks we won't benefit from their recruiting crash this past class. Watch that VT guy get kicked off the team a few games after us and that UCLA transfer get injured again but after our game with them.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

All those LB's that shut down Wisconsin...The line transfers I might agree with. Little Reese is a monster and the odd man out of Miller/Houston will be good too (both are pretty big dudes as well, one reminds me of seeing Spikes on the field against W. Carolina in '06 as far as size, don't remember which). Let's be honest, these guys were basically year one players last year after the suspension. Big difference possibly in year two of college football (actually, this could be said about our entire team).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All those LB's that shut down Wisconsin...The line transfers I might agree with. Little Reese is a monster and the odd man out of Miller/Houston will be good too (both are pretty big dudes as well, one reminds me of seeing Spikes on the field against W. Carolina in '06 as far as size, don't remember which). Let's be honest, these guys were basically year one players last year after the suspension. Big difference possibly in year two of college football (actually, this could be said about our entire team).

They did get killed that game for whatever reason but they will have one of the highest rated LB groups in the country when the lists come out. It just ticks me off a little that this transfer crap hits perfect for them to maybe have a decent team when they play us.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Spring Preview: How will UF's starting O-line shake out?

Spring Preview: How will UF's starting O-line shake out?

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Spring football is less than a month away and that means it's time to start breaking down some questions on the gridiron for the Gators. Swamp247 will take a look over the next 10 days at some of the key things to watch this spring.

Today we begin with our first key question: how the starting offensive line will shake out.

How will UF's starting O-line shape up?
It's not exactly a well-kept secret around Gainesville or, shoot, even around the country. Florida's success in 2019 will likely hinge largely on how the offensive line replaces four starters.

After a shaky start to the 2018 season, a veteran group really started to find its footing under offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator John Hevesy down the stretch. That was evident in the Peach Bowl against Michigan, with Florida simply bullying its way to a win in the trenches.

But four starters are gone, including both tackles. The lone returning starter, Nick Buchanan, isn't assured of his job either.

So how does Florida replace its offensive line? The returning players frankly haven't played much or showed a ton, leaving this a major, major thing to watch in spring practice.

Here's what we know: There's a core group of players that we fully expect to compete for starting jobs. Beyond that is anyone's guess. In fact, even how the starting five lines up is a bit up in the air.

Here are some things you can more or less bank on, we think.

1) Stone Forsythe will start at one of the tackle spots. The coaching staff is actually pretty high on him, with Hevesy indicating at one point he wished he could have gotten him more snaps in 2018 and that Forsythe had earned them.

2) If he's healthy, Brett Heggie is probably a starter on the interior. This is an expectation based on what we've seen out of Heggie when he's healthy moreso than the staff's current view of him (they haven't seen him play much since they arrived due to injuries).

3) Noah Banks, if healthy, will be this year's version of Tyler Jordan. He's the guy that the staff would cross-train and have ready to move to multiple different positions if necessary. However, he was dealing with a medical issue at last check that raised some questions about his future availability.

After that, the guys most likely to work their way into the starting rotation are some combination of Buchanan, Chris Bleich and Richard Gouraige.

Because this would be no fun if we didn't project an initial starting offensive line this spring, here goes, from left to right: Forsythe, Heggie, Buchanan, Bleich, Banks/Gouraige (depending on Banks' availability).

The other guys who could potentially push for a starting spot but need to prove it this spring are Jean Delance and T.J. Moore.

Here's a look at some of the other key questions we'll be highlighting in the coming days.

Florida's 10 Biggest Spring Practice Questions

- Where will Amari Burney fit in?
- What kind of production can UF expect out of Jonathan Greenard?
- Will Trevon Grimes' usage uptick continue?
- Can Chris Steele challenge for starting minutes?
- Can Kyle Pitts emerge as the guy at tight end?
- Which second-year player makes the big leap?
- Will Florida start to see O-line depth emerge?
- Who starts at safety?
- Who emerges as the backup quarterback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator