State of the program not good enough

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
These are the facts spelled out in an article that pretty much follows most posts here. The conclusion is that no matter what Mac thinks about his performance, it just ain't good enough.

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/Cohen-State-of-the-Program-Not-Good-Enough-49526355

What he needs to understand as well is the source of the fans’ frustration, two trips to the Georgia Dome notwithstanding. While he was in essence brought in to get to Atlanta (and obviously leave with a victory), he was first and foremost brought to Gainesville to fix an ailing offense, a sick puppy for five seasons prior to his arrival. To say it hasn’t happened would be a grand understatement.

There is a line of thinking that says Gator fans are spoiled, that all the high-falutin’ offense Steve Spurrier cooked up and resulted in all those championships have skewed the view, yielded unrealistic expectations. For a while the premise may have had some validity, but not anymore. Spurrier has been gone for 15 years, the halcyon days of the ‘90s nearing a quarter-century ago. While some may pine for those days, most are rooted in the present morass where for seven seasons running, Florida has sported one of the worst offenses in the country. Every year. And it is beyond unacceptable.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At what point do the guys up top say enough is enough ? When are they gonna commit to football?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At what point do the guys up top say enough is enough ? When are they gonna commit to football?

mcelwain-foley-florida-gato.jpg

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I'm really hoping Stricklin tries to put his stamp on football. If this next season sucks either threaten Mac with a total overhaul of his staff or just drop him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm really hoping Stricklin tries to put his stamp on football. If this next season sucks either threaten Mac with a total overhaul of his staff or just drop him.

He has to be fired if we lose 4 or more games next season. Heck his recruiting alone should get him fired.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, no coach is brought in to "fix the offense". Coaches are brought in to win.

Well Foley said he specifically brought Mac in to bring that offensive punch back to the Gators and create a spark with the offense.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It is not a matter of the top guys being committed to football. The AD needs to be committed to the program. The president should have a hands off view.

Really what matters is getting the right guy. If you guys were around in 1990 or if you remember after a series of wrong hires when OU got Stoops etc. You get the right guy and everything falls in place quickly. That everything is not falling in place very quickly under McElwain is an indicator to me.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
These are the facts spelled out in an article that pretty much follows most posts here. The conclusion is that no matter what Mac thinks about his performance, it just ain't good enough.

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/Cohen-State-of-the-Program-Not-Good-Enough-49526355

What he needs to understand as well is the source of the fans’ frustration, two trips to the Georgia Dome notwithstanding. While he was in essence brought in to get to Atlanta (and obviously leave with a victory), he was first and foremost brought to Gainesville to fix an ailing offense, a sick puppy for five seasons prior to his arrival. To say it hasn’t happened would be a grand understatement.

There is a line of thinking that says Gator fans are spoiled, that all the high-falutin’ offense Steve Spurrier cooked up and resulted in all those championships have skewed the view, yielded unrealistic expectations. For a while the premise may have had some validity, but not anymore. Spurrier has been gone for 15 years, the halcyon days of the ‘90s nearing a quarter-century ago. While some may pine for those days, most are rooted in the present morass where for seven seasons running, Florida has sported one of the worst offenses in the country. Every year. And it is beyond unacceptable.

Nice article by Cohen. He seems to be fair and NAILS THIS EXACTLY. No Mac getting to ATL is one item on a very long list which including fixing the offense.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good article, something we know and have discussed daily here. Two things though from the article, he thinks we need to stop playing the clowns, I don't , I hate them and want to stomp their ass at the end of every year. We've had some great defenses the past few years that held the clowns to minimal offense but our total lack of offense has cost us those games.

The other is this "In the end, losing to Alabama on Saturday was a surprise to no one. One program is an absolute powerhouse, best in the nation in its 10th year, the other trying to find its footing in the embryonic stages of the rebuild piece" da fuq? embryonic stage of the rebuild??? We've been basically in a rebuild mode since Urbs had his medical condition and finally bailed. There is wayyy too much talent in the state of Florida for us to be both lacking those skill players but also not having enough bodies.

We absolutely need to bring in much better talent or we will never get back to elite status.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I've said it before...Mac peaked in year One. Started 6-0 and is what, 12-8 since...ouch. That might deserve it's own thread.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Good article, something we know and have discussed daily here. Two things though from the article, he thinks we need to stop playing the clowns, I don't , I hate them and want to stomp their ass at the end of every year. We've had some great defenses the past few years that held the clowns to minimal offense but our total lack of offense has cost us those games.

The other is this "In the end, losing to Alabama on Saturday was a surprise to no one. One program is an absolute powerhouse, best in the nation in its 10th year, the other trying to find its footing in the embryonic stages of the rebuild piece" da fuq? embryonic stage of the rebuild??? We've been basically in a rebuild mode since Urbs had his medical condition and finally bailed. There is wayyy too much talent in the state of Florida for us to be both lacking those skill players but also not having enough bodies.

We absolutely need to bring in much better talent or we will never get back to elite status.
Have you ever noticed the difference in demeanor between a coach Saban & a "coach" mac? one is about the business of football at it's very essence & one who seemingly is "aw shucks, we'll show up & just glad to be here"?? Which coach should we be looking for if we want to compete at the elite level again...ever??

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Why wait to threaten him? Do it NOW!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Until we stop trying to be Alabama , nothings gonna change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator