Succesful test of Space Crew Dragon abort system

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

The last step before SpaceX will be able to launch humans to the Space Station (April). As I said before this will be the first time astronauts will be launched from US soil since the Shuttle. Boeing's Starliner should also be ready to go soon.
I don't know how good of a view you would have got from the cape since there was cloud cover but cool none the less. The booster exploded after deployment of the capsule but I'm not sure if that was a result of aerodynamic pressure or initiated by ground. I had hope that they would simultaneously blow up the booster and eject the capsule but apparently that was not the plan.
The abort systems on the Dragon, and Boeing's Starliner, are different than what we typically see in that they are pusher systems. Typically you see a tower on top of the capsule that contains rockets that will pull the capsule away. The towers are ejected after no longer needed, However Dragon and Starliner have pusher systems that are built in to the capsules. Originally both companies wanted to use the systems for self propelled landing of the capsules however both abandoned those plans for conventional parachute recovery.
Both these crew capsules are only rated for the space station - which will be de-orbited soon since it is costing us $3B/ year to keep aloft. NASA instead wants to focus on a moon orbiting space station that will serve as a rest stop to the surface of the moon (and beyond). The crew capsule for the Artemis mission will be the LockMart Orion launching in 2021 (realistically maybe 2022).

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

The last step before SpaceX will be able to launch humans to the Space Station (April). As I said before this will be the first time astronauts will be launched from US soil since the Shuttle.
Both these crew capsules are only rated for the space station - which will be de-orbited soon since it is costing us $3B/ year to keep aloft. NASA instead wants to focus on a moon orbiting space station that will serve as a rest stop to the surface of the moon (and beyond). The crew capsule for the Artemis mission will be the LockMart Orion launching in 2021 (realistically maybe 2022).

B120373D-C5F0-4B29-94D1-E72E10A2DF04.jpeg

I had a chance to visit the guys using our software while testing the flight control systems here in Colorado.
Very cool stuff. Unfortunately I couldn’t take any pictures inside.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Obviously a simulator.
I've seen the cockpit of Dragon and Starliner but that's the first I've seen of Orion.
The Dragon is easier to get into and out of but the cockpit is all touch screen. The Starliner is harder to get in/out of but the cockpit has more actual switches.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Obviously a simulator.
I've seen the cockpit of Dragon and Starliner but that's the first I've seen of Orion.
The Dragon is easier to get into and out of but the cockpit is all touch screen. The Starliner is harder to get in/out of but the cockpit has more actual switches.

yeah - it’s a mock up.
Lockheed Martin in Littleton built one - and you’re correct, it’s touch screen.
The flight control software is being developed on Linux but will eventually run on Microsoft in the production version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.