Suggestions for varmint gun

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The point I'm making is I don't think you have seen this nocturnal varmint yet but you are buying a gun to shoot something at night. Get yourself a good quality coon trap and learn how to out- smart and catch a few coons and possums.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
The point I'm making is I don't think you have seen this nocturnal varmint yet but you are buying a gun to shoot something at night. Get yourself a good quality coon trap and learn how to out- smart and catch a few coons and possums.

When they've come on the property in the past, we've certainly seen them in enough light to recognize and shoot them. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be thinking about trying.

If I could set traps effectively where they have to enter my property, that would be great. I will certainly look into that.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Must be some precious turkey.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
When they've come on the property in the past, we've certainly seen them in enough light to recognize and shoot them. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be thinking about trying.

If I could set traps effectively where they have to enter my property, that would be great. I will certainly look into that.
In all honesty Raccoons are more likely to be drawn to the smell of garbage and food quicker than they would be to your Turkey...they're scavengers first, predators only out of necessity. They're very easy to trap just use marshmallows as Gren suggested....that will keep the cats from going into the traps....it also works for the opossums. Then you can shoot them at point blank range.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
In all honesty Raccoons are more likely to be drawn to the smell of garbage and food quicker than they would be to your Turkey...they're scavengers first, predators only out of necessity. They're very easy to trap just use marshmallows as Gren suggested....that will keep the cats from going into the traps....it also works for the opossums. Then you can shoot them at point blank range.

Well, I'm going to look into getting one or two traps to set up in the area they have to pass through to enter the property. My turkey did get mauled one time and I don't want that to happen again. Like I said, all of the other birds seem to know to go into their little houses where they are safe but this one turkey does not and it is very hard to catch her as she will scamper deep into the brush.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
I checked with my girl friend and she is pretty sure that the problem we had earlier was with either raccoons or possums. We haven't had any on the property now for close to a year but who knows if and when they will return.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
20 gauge can be a good all around gun but a 28 gauge would better suited for racoon or possums .

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
20 gauge can be a good all around gun but a 28 gauge would better suited for racoon or possums .

It is my understanding that you can get light loads for the 20. I actually spoke to my daughter last night and she has a 20 that she is pretty happy with.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
There has never been any problem during daylight hours. We did have a hawk visit us one time and our rooster sounded the alarm and he and all of his girls went into the brush where they were safe.

And all of the birds have houses to go into at night and they are off the ground. Only the one turkey doesn't seem to want to go into her enclosure (which is very large, by the way) and so she is at risk during the night hours.

We don't let the chicks we raise out until they have grown enough to escape any potential interest by the cats. And the cats mix with the birds and don't bother them.

So, the problem is if we get a stray raccoon or possum, the one turkey will be in danger so that is really the problem I am trying to proactively address.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does this turkey fetch. Rollover, go get your slippers or come running when you whistle? If the answer to these questions is no. Then November 24 should alleviate your problems.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Does this turkey fetch. Rollover, go get your slippers or come running when you whistle? If the answer to these questions is no. Then November 24 should alleviate your problems.

Well, she is not a meat turkey.

I like the idea of getting a Great Pyrenees as a yard dog.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LOL -- she's a show turkey. She likes to strut around and be a leader of the chickens.
Ugh. You showed a picture. That's one ugly ****ing turkey. :bwahaha:

On that thought maybe she wants to go in the chicken house, is it big enough?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You have hawks out there? Red Tail by chance?

Was on the course today and and saw a lot of tussling going on between the green at one home and the tee box at the next. As we drove by a big ass Red Tail had got himself a duck, mallard to be exact. as we drove by the hawk took off up to a nearby tree, left the duck flailing on the ground and came back for his dinner after we passed.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You have hawks out there? Red Tail by chance?

Was on the course today and and saw a lot of tussling going on between the green at one home and the tee box at the next. As we drove by a big ass Red Tail had got himself a duck, mallard to be exact. as we drove by the hawk took off up to a nearby tree, left the duck flailing on the ground and came back for his dinner after we passed.
Hawks don't fly at night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't seen a 28 g or ammo for one for nearly 4 decades. That's the kind of gun Jean Kerry would have and use to film a fake commercial of him shooting clays or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.