Tennessee vs Appy State

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jay, my friend, are you trying to be dense?

He coached at Sparty and left bc he could only sign 3 star players and didn't like recruiting against big brother. Stated it directly to reporters when he was leaving. Wanted to go somewhere that was a recruiting powerhouse and had no instate competition.

He struggled at LSU until the recruiting train got rolling there also.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
No dumbass, he coached at Sparty and LSU, if you haven't heard.

Oh somebody is touchy!

His record wasn't good early in his career at a then crappy program. Shocker.

At LSU his worst record was 8-5 dummy. Sprinkle in 9, 10 and 13 win seasons after that.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Jay, my friend, are you trying to be dense?

He coached at Sparty and left bc he could only sign 3 star players and didn't like recruiting against big brother. Stated it directly to reporters when he was leaving. Wanted to go somewhere that was a recruiting powerhouse and had no instate competition.

He struggled at LSU until the recruiting train got rolling there also.

He won 10 games his second season and a title in his fourth...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, you will be happy with a 4-5 loss team so long as we beat Tinerc's and Ugly's poorly coached teams?

Look, understand that I do think Mac has an eye for talent, especially talent that fits what he needs, ie Perine and Ingram, or stronger, smarter OL even if they aren't as athletic.

I also think HE is a great recruiter but he was forced to take a bunch of low budget assistants from EKU, FIU, FAU, and USF and was saddled with the second worst facilities in the SEC by all accounts, even UF homers.

That doesn't change the fact that we have to get much better and fast. Being middle of the SEC pack in recruiting isn't the way you win championships.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As far as Jones not lasting, UT has been extending his "honeymoon" years. Doesn't he have to
endure some years where they stop believing that he & UT will sweep the SEC ?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
So, you will be happy with a 4-5 loss team so long as we beat Tinerc's and Ugly's poorly coached teams?

No. And we aren't going to lose 4-5 games, I'll sig bet the eff out of that.

Look, I know recruiting is important, I just don't put as much stock into it as some on here do. I believe coaching and development is much more important.

If I could pick between all 4 and 5 stars and Butch/Chump as coach or 3 stars and a coach like Mac or Chip (in college) I'll gladly choose the latter.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: I saw that guy and kind of snickered when I saw him mutter to himself, "Dang."

img_1196-jpg.3774

There's that half-time video of him busting his tobacco-stained banjo against the curb.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I could pick between all 4 and 5 stars and Butch/Chump
Well, the rumor that either has recruited well is BS. The stats show that clearly also. They are both mostly 3 star recruiters with just a sprinkling of blue chippers (all DBs and undersized DEs in Chimp's case). They were middle of the pack.

The results on he field are predictable, especially when they lined up against the Bammers and Clowns fo the world.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Look, understand that I do think Mac has an eye for talent, especially talent that fits what he needs, ie Perine and Ingram, or stronger, smarter OL even if they aren't as athletic.

I also think HE is a great recruiter but he was forced to take a bunch of low budget assistants from EKU, FIU, FAU, and USF and was saddled with the second worst facilities in the SEC by all accounts, even UF homers.

That doesn't change the fact that we have to get much better and fast. Being middle of the SEC pack in recruiting isn't the way you win championships.

I agree. Pertaining to the bold, if we continue to struggle, I think a few assistants will be shown the door. Also hope this new AD opens up
the check book as much as I hate how things have changed as far as the "arms race." Don't really have a choice at this point.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the rumor that either has recruited well is BS. The stats show that clearly also. They are both mostly 3 star recruiters with just a sprinkling of blue chippers (all DBs and undersized DEs in Chimp's case). They were middle of the pack.

The results on he field are predictable, especially when they lined up against the Bammers and Clowns fo the world.

Chump was annually top 10 and sometimes top 5 if we are going by Rivals rankings. We had so many 4/5 star flamouts under him it's sickening.

SwampSmack89

Sep 1, 2016
I think I am more let down that App didnt win than when GA Southern beat us......Goes to show that field goal kickers are important.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really hate that targeting rule. By the rule it was a right call, but it's silly he got ejected for a good & clean hit.
I'm fine with the penalty, but the ejection needs to go.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I really hate that targeting rule. By the rule it was a right call, but it's silly he got ejected for a good & clean hit.
I'm fine with the penalty, but the ejection needs to go.

He led with the crown of his helmet. That's a big no no. Should know better by now

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The law of averages shows that the higher the rankings of your recruits the better your team. There are always exceptions with unranked players making the pros and all star stud recruits crashing and burning. But I'll take 5 stars every day of the week over spunky and determined 2 stars who are small but slow.

But we digress. This thread should be about Tennessee's brush with total humiliation and what that means for the over the top expectations of their fans and the press. Although it remains to be seen how we perform this year, my confidence in making it 12 in a row has sky rocketed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
On that play the kick returner squatted down in such a way as to leave nothing to hit but his helmet;
however, CFB is still in the evolving stage of this targeting penalty. Eventually, the oncoming tackler
will throw his body sideways, tackling with a body block instead of a straight-on spear. ?? Still, my
repulsion for this rule is that it erases or eliminates those wonderful clobber-tackles that belong in CFB.
It exists like a "curb your enthusiasm rule".??

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The law of averages shows that the higher the rankings of your recruits the better your team. There are always exceptions with unranked players making the pros and all star stud recruits crashing and burning. But I'll take 5 stars every day of the week over spunky and determined 2 stars who are small but slow.

But we digress. This thread should be about Tennessee's brush with total humiliation and what that means for the over the top expectations of their fans and the press. Although it remains to be seen how we perform this year, my confidence in making it 12 in a row has sky rocketed.

I agree. This fallout from this game can lead in a few directions:

- Maybe UT isn't that good, and they lose 4 or more games.
- Maybe it's a wake up call and they finish strong and win the East.
- Maybe they have a similar year as last year, losing to UF, Bama and winning a few they are expected to lose.

In 2007, when Appy State beat Michigan....guess who Michigan went on to beat in the bowl game that year?

SwampSmack89

Sep 1, 2016
I agree. This fallout from this game can lead in a few directions:

- Maybe UT isn't that good, and they lose 4 or more games.
- Maybe it's a wake up call and they finish strong and win the East.
- Maybe they have a similar year as last year, losing to UF, Bama and winning a few they are expected to lose.

In 2007, when Appy State beat Michigan....guess who Michigan went on to beat in the bowl game that year?

Dont remind me.....I still have nightmares from the Zook bowl....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UT gonna have some losses this year. That game proved that Butch Jones isn't a very good coach. They are supposedly the most talented team in the east and returning lots of that talent. There's no excuse to go out and lay an egg in the first game. SInce Butch has a history of being a loser I see that trend continuing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.