The Mullen Effect: How the new Gators coach supercharged the offense after years of futility

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You dont reallly believe that do you?

Maybe if you are talking JD Power, who only measures first year reliability.

We were talking speed regardless, Kiaboy.
Okay, it was #5. Still pretty good. Just sayin'.

The 15 most reliable car brands of 2018

Anyway, it's all relative when it comes to DM. No one can argue, though, that he hasn't significantly improved our productivity.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Anybody read Will Miles' Read and Reaction articles? He has some good ones. This one ain't bad.

The Mullen Effect: How the new Gators coach supercharged the offense after years of futility - Read and Reaction

This headline is why I posted my 10 win and 4800 yard posts throughout the offseason. UF's offense was improved this year. UF's offense improved to pretty respectability. UF's offense most certainly was NOT "supercharged." UF needs to build on this year and for that to happen this kind of silliness needs to stop in the press.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Useful reference point. A supercharged Miata.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ok if you buy the supercharge part here is how Mullen "did" it.

1. You play all 12 games. You rack up zero yards in games you don't play.

2. You ditch Michigan and play two D1AA teams.

3. Your out of conference games are Charleston Southern, Colorado State, Idaho and FSU, rather than Michigan, UAB and FSU.

4. You have SoCar and FSU be surprisingly bad on defense.

UF played 8 common opponents in 2017 and 2018. UF's offense totaled fewer yards in 2018 against UK, UTn, Vandy and UMo, less than 100 less yards in each case. UF's offense totaled more yards against LSU (55 yards) and UGa (26 yards) and a huge amount more against SoCar (227 yards) and FSU (256 yards). In total UF had 384 or 48 yards a more per game in those 8 games.

The GOOD NEWS is that the two big offensive outbursts were against the last two of these teams UF has played. If you are an optimist, you can believe the light came on the last quarter of the season when you consider Idaho along with SoCar and FSU all games where UF's offense looked good. The bad news is that that was a 5-7 FSU team not an FSU team we usually see. The bad news is that was a pretty bad defense for a Muschamp defense at SoCar. So if you want to be a pessimist you can believe it was the same old same old masked by an easier overall schedule and FSU and SoCar having much worse defenses than they usually do.

Your choice, I am an optimist so I am hoping the truth is in between. Maybe the bowl game will give us more information on that.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
tumblr_n067vhfXKE1s6oifzo1_500.gif

jbaker07

Oct 15, 2017
It still might not always be the prettiest offense but I can watch that last play when Van broke ankles on a loop all day.

That play gave me a flash back to Ike Hillard play against in the Noles in the 1996 Sugar Bowl. When I saw that move I was hoping he could house it on them.

I definitely could watch this play on a loop as well.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
That play gave me a flash back to Ike Hillard play against in the Noles in the 1996 Sugar Bowl. When I saw that move I was hoping he could house it on them.

I definitely could watch this play on a loop as well.

I wish we could have that team forever. Groundhog Day me with that team

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I may be tarred and feathered for this but vans broken ankles were more impressive than ike's. All van did was a tiny fake towards the defender and that was enough to put him on his ass

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I may be tarred and feathered for this but vans broken ankles were more impressive than ike's. All van did was a tiny fake towards the defender and that was enough to put him on his ass

I don’t know man. Have you ever ran a post route at full speed and stopped like that? The only broke ankles would’ve been your own.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I don’t know man. Have you ever ran a post route at full speed and stopped like that? The only broke ankles would’ve been your own.

Especially on 1996 Superdome turf!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator