The NFL and poor ratings

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I wonder if they've ever given any thought on how much of the game is absorbed with relentless commercial T.O BS. Just a thought

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since week 9 (week after election night) the ratings have been moving back up. There are problems with the rating system, because it doesn't catch the people watching the game on twitter, NFL Ticket (online version), and other digital media (including those on some forms of Internet TV). But the Thanksgiving game between the Cowboys and Redskins was the most watched Regular Season game in 20 years (second most watch TV event this year, 1st was game 7 of the World Series). They are down roughly 10% (13% the Sunday before Election Night) and still have some areas to fix (officiating, commericals) but it isn't as down as people are making out.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I havent watched a game this year and it isnt because of politics or a statement about not supporting overpaid millionaires that want to tell me how oppressed they are.....its because I have no dog in the fight. I'm from Orlando and now live in North Alabama.....I have no true team affiliation. I rooted for the Phins when Marino was there, but I never was a die hard. The game is too predictable and boring as well.

Oh, and I also found out this pre-season that I couldn't play Draft Kings in Alabama :eek3:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I wonder if they've ever given any thought on how much of the game is absorbed with relentless commercial T.O BS. Just a thought

I rarely watch an NFL game from start to finish. However, the NFL has done a "good" job of making their games last (almost) exactly 3 hours. So, the "relentless" commercials comment is really off base.

College football games usually last 3.5 hours or longer. CFB has different clock rules which allow for more plays per game and more exciting football.

Watch a play in an NFL game that is anywhere near the sideline. The ref's do all they can to call the play in-bounds to keep the clock rolling.

This is two-fold: it keeps the game at 3 hours (which is what the NFL wants) and it limits the number of plays per game (which is what the Players Association wants).

IMO, it robs the fans.

Also, if play is out of bounds the clock literally stops for about 8 seconds of "real time" and they roll it again as soon as the ball is "placed". It's such BS.

The NFL has done a great job of making their league competitive. They do not want a team to go 14-2 or 15-1. They want ALL of their teams to have a 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 type record. It's not "good for the game" to have teams go 13-3 and other teams go 3-13. The fans of the losing teams lose interest (look at Jacksonville, Cleveland, and all the other perennial losers). Poor attendance, poor team apparel sales, etc. They love it when you go into week 13, 14, 15 with the Division still in question.

So, the clock rules have really helped them keep interest (think about the wives who want their husband to go do something and he says, "the game will be over at 4 then we can go..." Then the game last 30-45 minutes longer, like a lot of CFB games.

The "relentless" commercials are the same for each game....the game will last 3 hours and they will play X amount of commercials.

I hate the NFL.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
My interest in the NFL has been in steady decline, from once avid and knowledgeable season-ticket fan to total indifference. And I doubt there is much that league could do now to rekindle my interest.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Poor product = poor ratings.

It doesn't help when their rules don't mesh with the majority of America (cannabis, rob/rape/murder), nor when they allow the anti-America circus to take over. At some point, you'd think they'd get the part about being an American sport in America, funded by Americans.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It doesn't help when their rules don't mesh with the majority of America (cannabis, rob/rape/murder), nor when they allow the anti-America circus to take over. At some point, you'd think they'd get the part about being an American sport in America, funded by Americans.

Yep, nailed it. These players are "at work" when they are disrespecting our flag and national anthem. Goodell could have easily stepped in and put a stop to it (either stand and show respect, or stay in the locker room until it's over). Instead, he let it go on and fester. The NFL fines players for altering their uniform in any way (socks, a sticker on a helmet, whatever) yet they didn't have the balls to end this stunt? It's a joke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator