The Opt Out Thread

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think its obvious that after we beat the dwags, Dan cultivated a championship or bust approach to the season. That may sound great but I don't think his approach worked at all. It sure seems like the only thing anybody could think about was the upcoming showdown with Bama, a game we would have been hard pressed to win even in the best circumstances. In the meantime they totally lost focus on the other games, with LSU being the exclamation point on the regular season. At least there was still a chance to salvage the playoffs by beating Bama. When that didn't happen, everybody just quit.

At least that's how it looks from the cheap seats. Mullen needs to own it. The team, with a few exceptions, is completely undisciplined and selfish. The program is disorganized. But Mullen won't get it done because a guy who is a nonstop belt-fed excuse machine won't own it and therefor won't fix it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with kids opting out. If you played for Dan Mullen, would you risk millions for him? Hell no.

I also have no problem with what’s been said in this thread. Don’t cry about family and brotherhood and then quit on them. The double standard these kids want is ridiculous.

I’ve said it before and maybe people thought it was a joke, but I think Trask should come back and transfer to Bama. He should opt out from Mullen.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
After beating the Dawgs, Mullen thought we got this and quit trying....

Does Ms Mullen serve cotton candy and hot chocolate at practice

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dan opted out 3 weeks ago but didn't tell anyone, then after the team got humiliated he threw them under the bus and claimed we never should have been playing.

Even butters isn't that big of a loser.
Seriously, has there ever been a team that took a 1 week vacation instead of preparing for the bowl? Not that I ever recall. Even a real top bowl game requires the team to practice through the holidays.

It isnt like Dan isnt quite familiar with December bowl games.

Douchebag Dan opting out was the worst one.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me you didn't want to jump through your TV and hit somebody.

iu

Alex.
nope. I saw this coming 3 weeks ago. You know, as soon as it was clear we had a team and coaching staff full of quitters. But that lsu game made me want to.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me you didn't want to jump through your TV and hit somebody.

Alex.

Only Dan when he talked about being undermanned, when only having 16 listed as in-actives. Didn't we lose to a LSU at home missing 20+ players. So that excuse falls on deaf ears.

Can't blame the kids who opted out for the coaching staff not using the entire season to prepare the backups who were only one injury away from playing.

I don't blame a kid who chooses to miss a meaningless bowl game to prepare for a potential career especially if they are a 1st round pick.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
“Brotherhood” is what comes to mind.

I’m not going to blast these kids as it’s ultimately their future, but I definitely don’t like it. Especially after all the “brotherhood” talk.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ADG has been off his game recently, but his post/this thread nails it.

The toothpaste is out of the tube. Optouts, transfer portal and the upcoming player compensation.... it has become college football in name only. Think about it: do you even recognize the game as opposed to what was played even 10 years ago? And it is only going to get worse as kids get more "rights".

I've long argued this and have come to believe it is the only path forward to save college football. But before I start, I'll ask: Assuming a full complement of 85 scholarship players, what percentage do you think actually belongs on a college campus based on academics alone? Leave out all the racial preference stuff for this exercise. I'd argue not many - especially at schools that are very difficult to get into like UF. So why are these kids here? To play ball in the hopes of someday playing pro ball. Academics are a cross to bear in pursuit of that goal.

I think college baseball holds the answer. There needs to be a minor league for football. Kids coming out of high school that have no business taking up academic space at a university can "go pro" out of high school and work on their "job" of being a paid athlete. For kids who take academics seriously (or semi-seriously, at least) and want the college experience, they can accept a scholarship to play football with a caveat: That if you choose the scholarship route, you are committing to exhausting your eligibility - and that includes bowl games. Opt out/leave early and you will be billed for 4 years of tuition, room & board, etc.

Not everyone is a fit for college and I think big-time athletics has, at least a little, perverted the mission of higher ed. Far too many mouth-breathers that can bounce or throw a ball are taking space from kids that actually want to be on campus to learn something. A minor league for football gives high school athletes from all socioeconomic groups options. After all, why force a kid that barely made it through high school onto campus to go to class and pretend he's paying attention - just so he can play a sport?

I get that this is very unlikely to happen because it would require the NFL to set up and pay for a minor league. Why would they do that while the current system provides them talent for free? But to me, this route would return a lot of integrity to college football.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All I can say is that when I played even the thought of missing a game for injury or any reason made me ill.

Yeah, sure, “but my career” yada, yada, yada. F**k that. You chose to play for a scholarship, national exposure and a pretty posh 4 year college career. That’s the deal you made. I view anyone “optiting out” as an untrustworthy welcher.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, has there ever been a team that took a 1 week vacation instead of preparing for the bowl? Not that I ever recall. Even a real top bowl game requires the team to practice through the holidays.

It isnt like Dan isnt quite familiar with December bowl games.

Douchebag Dan opting out was the worst one.
Such a "champion of life" thing to do.

I wonder if the QB and 2nd string WR working on thier timing could have made a difference in the game? Even a few days .

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I get the impression that Dan is letting the Gator players described by Booger McFarland influence him, instead of the other way around.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The picture with Pitts wearing the Unity T-shirt is an appropriate choice.
Even the protest BS in the preseason has been exposed as posturing for brand enhancement

The good news for these guys is that nobody outside of the chatter would ever call these guys out. It’s just not fashionable right now

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ADG has been off his game recently...

:sadnanner:

Look man, like I told your wife last night, it's never happened to me before. I was really drunk and tired. I'll make it up to her next time. No need to tell all GatorChatter about it. Sheesh.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:sadnanner:

Look man, like I told your wife last night, it's never happened to me before. I was really drunk and tired. I'll make it up to her next time. No need to tell all GatorChatter about it. Sheesh.

Alex.
Look. It is ok. I know youve tried to play the bicurious thing for a while, but it is clear your one and only true desire is Dancin Dan.

We are ok with it. #courage

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What does a guy like Grimes or slayton or Campbell have to gain by opting out? I mean Grimes put up like 500 yards this year. Was he worried he'd crush his chances of going undrafted

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Pitts made things worse with his video. He should have kept his mouth shut.
That's right. What a bunch of low life quitters. I simply cannot agree with this me attitude about games that don't matter. When the team plays you need to get your a$$ on the field. They let everybody down and along with that mealy mouth Mullen and inept Grantham embarrassed Gator nation. What a bunch of bums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator